Upload & Sell: Off
One type of bird that I didn't think I would be photographing in California when I visited was the duck. I was quite delighted to see the variety I did. The mix included a number of cinnamon teal, which I had not seen before. These are also the first ducks, other than a few tame ones at local parks, that I've tried to photograph.
Below are a few of the images I came away with. All taken with a 7D and 400mm f5.6, hand held.
1. Surf Scoter - This image was taken at Bolsa Chica. This one was tough to get a decent exposure. Bright evening light making those whites glow.
2. Green-winged Teal - Taken at San Joaquin
3. Cinnamon Teal - Also from San Joaquin. This was another bird that seemed difficult to get a decent pic. They did not want to get close enough to a human!
4. Mallards - This pair hung out on the beach at Crystal Cove, siphoning edible critters out of the sand on the edge of the water.
5. Northern Shoveler - These colorful ducks at San Joaquin displayed some interesting behavior.
6. Northern Shoveler Pinwheel - This was the behavior. They formed a moving pinwheel, stirring up the bottom and possibly herding their prey. They did this for quite a long time. Certainly hadn't seen this previously.
Please feel free to post comments of all sorts.