Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · The Lone Sentinel + 100% crop of Bird

JimFox
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · The Lone Sentinel + 100% crop of Bird

This is the same location that Tuan Le and I shot last week. Because it's down about 4 coves from the main beach, and there is no direct access from the cliffs unless you own about a 10 million dollar house, not many get down this far. It's quickly turning into a favorite area of mine.

This is shot with the new Nikon D800 and 16-35mm lens. The bird sitting on top of the rock amazed me with the amount of detail that 36mp gets you... the smaller details like that in the past would have gotten softened by less mp, so I am still blown away by the detail this camera presents...

All comments are welcome,

Jim

P.S. Added 100% crop of the bird. My sharpening on this still needs some refinement, but notice the detail around the bird, see the grasses sticking out from the ledge? And then go back to the original to see just how far I was away, and shooting at 16mm... I am probably 100 feet away, and still grass blades can be picked out? That is pretty good detail in my book.

Edited on Apr 20, 2012 at 02:50 AM · View previous versions

Apr 19, 2012 at 03:06 AM
Hikin Mike
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · The Lone Sentinel + 100% crop of Bird

I can see why it becoming a favorite location. Love the colors of the rocks.

Apr 19, 2012 at 03:23 AM
LizzieShepherd
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · The Lone Sentinel + 100% crop of Bird

Lovely light, colour and shapes here, Jim! Clouds mirroring the land as well...

Apr 19, 2012 at 03:45 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · The Lone Sentinel + 100% crop of Bird

Great shot. You have to go through a crazy amount of downsizing to get to web size, have you had to change any of your PP?

Apr 19, 2012 at 09:29 AM
sogara
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · The Lone Sentinel + 100% crop of Bird

I like this a lot Jim. Nice shot.

Apr 19, 2012 at 10:09 AM
sadja
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · The Lone Sentinel + 100% crop of Bird

Would love to see 100% crop of bird and rocks below bird. I have yet to see a really sharp landscape shot out of the d800.

Apr 19, 2012 at 11:22 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · The Lone Sentinel + 100% crop of Bird

Hikin Mike wrote:
I can see why it becoming a favorite location. Love the colors of the rocks.

Thanks Mike, It's got a ton of foreground interest to use so it will be a location I will explore for quite some time.

Jim

Apr 19, 2012 at 01:06 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · The Lone Sentinel + 100% crop of Bird

ben egbert wrote:
Great shot. You have to go through a crazy amount of downsizing to get to web size, have you had to change any of your PP?

Hey Ben, thanks! Yeah, I think the web does give it a slightly more crunchy feel. So far no change in how I downsize. I resize it in PS with Image Size to 72dpi and 800px wide. Add a slight bit of UnSharp to sharpen it slightly, and then change the jpg quality when saving to about 8 to 10 to get the file size around 300k.

Jim

Apr 19, 2012 at 01:10 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · The Lone Sentinel + 100% crop of Bird

sadja wrote:
Would love to see 100% crop of bird and rocks below bird. I have yet to see a really sharp landscape shot out of the d800.

I think you have the wrong expectations. Maybe it will be different with the D800E, but the image is getting softened with the AA filter, just like the majority of all DSLR's. Plus, we are shooting landscape. We aren't shooting a bunch of straight lined, sharp edged objects. The objects in this shot with the rocks and all are round edged already, they are worn by erosion. So, I will say this, my shots with the D800 are no sharper than they were with the D700... but what they do have, is 100 times more detail... every little nook and cranny in the rocks can now be seen. And yes they are not perfectly sharp... but again, the AA filter is softening them. But simple apply UnSharp Mask just like I have always done, and the shot sharpens up immediately, and becomes crazy sharp!

So to repeat... for me the gain with the D800 is not extra sharpness, but extra detail... that then can be sharpened in PP like always.

And yeah, that bird is crazy sharp....

Jim

Apr 19, 2012 at 01:18 PM
cjwhitsett
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · The Lone Sentinel + 100% crop of Bird

Nice shot, Jim. I get the sense that the photo is bursting with detail but that it's too small a file to really notice. I too would love to see a 100% crop! Nikon will convert me one of these days if they keep their madness up...

Apr 19, 2012 at 01:23 PM
joeyvu
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · The Lone Sentinel + 100% crop of Bird

Beautiful pict, Jim...It makes me wanna to get the d800....Would you recommend to get D800 or D800E?
Thanks

Apr 19, 2012 at 01:27 PM
sadja
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · The Lone Sentinel + 100% crop of Bird

Well, Jim, it's the detail I want to see at full size. So far, I am disappointed in the detail -- it looks mushy to me.

Apr 19, 2012 at 01:45 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · The Lone Sentinel + 100% crop of Bird

JimFox wrote:
Hey Ben, thanks! Yeah, I think the web does give it a slightly more crunchy feel. So far no change in how I downsize. I resize it in PS with Image Size to 72dpi and 800px wide. Add a slight bit of UnSharp to sharpen it slightly, and then change the jpg quality when saving to about 8 to 10 to get the file size around 300k.

Jim

That's a 9.2:1 reduction. A whole bunch of those pixels get crammed into one. If my math is right, 9x9 means 81 pixels become one pixel.

I now sharpen in ACR the same for all images, with amount 50, radius 0.6, detail 7 and masking 30. I use 20 on clarity and that's the end of sharpening for me. If I have a soft image, its because I did something wrong when I snapped the shutter and discard it.

I downsize like you but 1024 and apply PK sharpener output for web.

How come you did not order the E? I have considered having the AA removed from my 1DS-mk3 but worry about resale value.

Apr 19, 2012 at 01:50 PM
alatoo60
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · The Lone Sentinel + 100% crop of Bird

Very nice, love the blue-golden color combination, and reflections, and a cherry, i.e. bird, on a top

Apr 19, 2012 at 02:04 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · The Lone Sentinel + 100% crop of Bird

cjwhitsett wrote:
Nice shot, Jim. I get the sense that the photo is bursting with detail but that it's too small a file to really notice. I too would love to see a 100% crop! Nikon will convert me one of these days if they keep their madness up...

Hey Collin, I will try to add a 100% crop later tonight. But remember... the difference really is in the details... the files from the D800 sharpen up just like from any other DSLR, it's just there are sooooo many more details that can be seen...

Jim

Apr 19, 2012 at 02:09 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · The Lone Sentinel + 100% crop of Bird

joeyvu wrote:
Beautiful pict, Jim...It makes me wanna to get the d800....Would you recommend to get D800 or D800E?
Thanks

Thanks! It's a fantastic camera! As to which one... depends what you shoot most. I think I will also get the D800E a little later on...

Jim

Apr 19, 2012 at 02:10 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · The Lone Sentinel + 100% crop of Bird

sadja wrote:
Well, Jim, it's the detail I want to see at full size. So far, I am disappointed in the detail -- it looks mushy to me.

Well, if you haven't used it, I am not sure how you could be disappointed... I have used it, and can compare it to my old D700, and the amount of detail is incredible! But again, it's going to be soft like in any other DSLR because of the AA filter. But it's the amount of detail that gets increased... and for me, using it... it's like night and day the increase in detail...

Try one... you will like it...

Jim

Apr 19, 2012 at 02:12 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · The Lone Sentinel + 100% crop of Bird

ben egbert wrote:
That's a 9.2:1 reduction. A whole bunch of those pixels get crammed into one. If my math is right, 9x9 means 81 pixels become one pixel.

I now sharpen in ACR the same for all images, with amount 50, radius 0.6, detail 7 and masking 30. I use 20 on clarity and that's the end of sharpening for me. If I have a soft image, its because I did something wrong when I snapped the shutter and discard it.

I downsize like you but 1024 and apply PK sharpener output for web.

How come you did not order the E? I
...Show more

Hey Ben,

Thanks! Yeah, I am sure there will be some things I will need to change in my PP as I get more used to the extra detail.

The reason I didn't wait for the D800E, was pretty simple... my D700 had drowned in the ocean last year, and I so missed the full frame shooting... so I just couldn't wait until a D800 E came out... I had to get the D800 as soon as I could... I missed it that much. Plus... I do shoot some weddings and people shots, so I wanted to make sure I had a versatile camera... if because of the AA filter I still had to sharpen my images, big deal... that's what I have been doing anyway... So, that's why the D800... but I will still probably pick up a D800E later on just to use soley for landscape.

Jim

Apr 19, 2012 at 02:15 PM
sadja
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · The Lone Sentinel + 100% crop of Bird

sadja wrote:

Well, if you haven't used it, I am not sure how you could be disappointed..
Right now I'm using a Canon 1DsIII, so I know about AA filters and such. I am curious whether the D800 will noticeably increase small detail.

I'm looking for some confirmation from my eyes. As I said, every crop/detail I have seen looks mushy and without micro detail. I guess if you (or someone else) are unwilling to provide such detail on this or another thread, I may have to wait to rent the camera and lens.

Apr 19, 2012 at 06:20 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · The Lone Sentinel + 100% crop of Bird

I sincerely hope this landscape board doesn't become a pixel peeper board.

When Jim or others post a landscape there is a heck of a lot more that goes into achieving the shot, regardless of camera, than pixel peeping sharpness/detail or whatever one sole trait someone is looking for. I like to believe that we are looking at a shot as "the whole." Not disregarding the overall quality of the image and focusing on how pretty a line of bricks are in a wall. It doesn't matter if the image is taken on a medium format camera. By the time it's processed, converted to jpeg, and posted here, a large part of the detail is stripped away.

Apr 19, 2012 at 06:29 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.