Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Turning off Lightroom 4 Modules, does it help with speed?

junk_bond
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Turning off Lightroom 4 Modules, does it help with speed?

After downloading Lightroom 4 yesterday, I noticed as others have that it was extremely slower than 3. I hadn't tried this before in previous versions of Lightroom, but after right clicking the Module buttons up top and turning them off it seemed to drastically improve the performance/speed of Lightroom 4. I basically just left Library and Develop open and closed the rest. Does that actually work? Am I just totally behind the times? Haha, I never know you could do that if so. I guess I never had the need to before. Thanks

Apr 18, 2012 at 12:30 PM
junk_bond
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Turning off Lightroom 4 Modules, does it help with speed?

I've gotten a few answers over at Lightroom Forums. Apparently the ability to do this in previous versions did not exist. I'm curious if anyone here has tried right clicking and turning off the modules that are not in use and if it speeds up Lightroom any.

Apr 18, 2012 at 04:56 PM
plubbry
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Turning off Lightroom 4 Modules, does it help with speed?

This is interesting. I never attemted to close modules. I am not sure why this would improve performance though as the additional modules shouldn't be doing anything if they aren't being used. Perhaps lessening LR's memory footprint marginally?

I'll be sure to play around with this when I get home.

Apr 18, 2012 at 05:04 PM
gvg45
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Turning off Lightroom 4 Modules, does it help with speed?

I never knew you could turn off modules but I'll give it a try to speed things up a bit. Thanks.

Apr 20, 2012 at 12:13 AM
Eyeball
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Turning off Lightroom 4 Modules, does it help with speed?

Consensus seems to be that turning those modules off doesn't really turn them off, it just doesn't display the titles, and it doesn't seem to have much, if any, performance impact.

Adobe is indicating, however, that closing the filmstrip view MAY help with sluggishness with the Develop sliders.

Here is what the Sr. Development Manager for Lightroom posted about a day ago:

There are several entries in this thread I need to study in more depth, but I want to provide an update on where we're at with performance improvements. We tend to get myriad issues lumped into that category, so even if these aren't your issue, please bear with me. This is work in progress that has not been released yet.

1. Several Web gallery users noted that time to export a gallery had degraded. We've found & fixed that.
2. Time to move files via the Folder panel has been improved in cases where the catalog has a lot of Smart Collections based on folder criteria.
3. Some of the hitchiness of the sliders in Develop is due to the way we're updating other views (filmstrip, 2nd monitor). We're working on a couple different approaches to alleviate this, but we need a little more time to see if the more aggressive approach we want to take will work.

In the meantime, for those of you struggling with Develop:

- Most of the performance feedback we got on the 4.1 RC was positive, especially if you depend on a 2nd monitor. (The main drawback with that build involved the Flickr plug-in.)
- If sticky sliders are a problem, try closing the filmstrip in Develop.
- While this isn't a new issue, I'd recommend avoiding the option to "Automatically write changes into XMP" under Catalog Settings as it causes a lot of disk IO. The new metadata filter option for Metadata Status can help you identify which files have unsaved changes if you depend on that workflow.
- Heavily edited images will always be a challenge for us. If the history stack has gotten particularly long for an image, consider clearing it out. You can make snapshots first of particular stages you might want to go back to.

More to come as we digest more of this thread. I'd appreciate if we could keep the comments here to performance. Thanks for your input.

Here is a link to the performance feedback thread where this was posted:

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/lr4_0_reacts_extremely_slow#reply_8383298

Apr 20, 2012 at 12:20 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password