Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · AIS lens cleaning?

galenapass
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · AIS lens cleaning?

Well, this weekend I made the mistake of shining a small flash light through some of my most choice pieces of AIS glass. I has shocked at the amount of dust inside some of my lenses (in this case I think ignorance is bliss).

Have any of you sent older MF glass in for cleaning? If so, where and how much did it cost? Thanks.

Apr 18, 2012 at 03:01 AM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · AIS lens cleaning?

galenapass wrote:
Well, this weekend I made the mistake of shining a small flash light through some of my most choice pieces of AIS glass. I has shocked at the amount of dust inside some of my lenses (in this case I think ignorance is bliss).

Have any of you sent older MF glass in for cleaning? If so, where and how much did it cost? Thanks.

Only worth cleaning if you really have a lot of dust. I've had it done locally, and for simple lenses about $80 or so.

See this thread I started a couple of years ago with picture of what dust looks like in old and very new lenses:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1030&message=34531899

Even lenses less than a year old have "a lot" of dust in them (it looks way worse than it actually is).

Only my 35-70/3.5 was ever cleaned.

I just took this image with that "dirty" 105/2.5 AIS that I showed images of:

Impromptu Modeling Session

NIKON D700    105mm    f/2.5    1/60s    400 ISO    -0.7 EV  

Apr 18, 2012 at 03:54 AM
molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · AIS lens cleaning?

I recently sent my Nikkor 28mm f2 AIS in to Nikon (Canada) to have it cleaned due to a fungus problem. They completely dismantled, cleaned, lubed and adjusted it for $170 plus tax; a little pricey, but they did a great job and the lens now looks and performs like new.

Apr 19, 2012 at 01:46 AM
Cadaver
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · AIS lens cleaning?

just outside of chicago
http://www.nikoncamerarepair.com/

Jul 14, 2012 at 06:05 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · AIS lens cleaning?

When I was experiencing some floaters and flashing lights in my eyes I visited an ophthalmologist who examined my eyes. He then showed me two diagrams, one of the eye of an eighteen year old and the second of the eye of a person sixty. Needless to say I was shocked at the difference and some part of my brain resisted with the suggestion that it couldn't possibly happen to me. But the floaters disappeared and the flashing lights left as well. I still don't need glasses and my eyesight is keen enough that I shoot exclusively with MF lenses and a standard focusing screen in the viewfinder of my D700.

I'm of the opinion that if there is not fungus in my lenses, I intend to leave them alone. I've heard it said that often the greatest damage to old lenses comes from cleaning them. I don't know that from first hand experience but I'm inclined to leave well enough alone. I did shine a light through a recently purchased 40 year old 55 f/1.2 SC AI'd and sure enough there was quite a bit of dust inside... but the lens performs beautifully for me. I did ask a camera technician at a local camera store whether he did CLAs and he said yes. He also said it would be around $80. But I'm not planning on taking any of my lenses in. I'd rather just shoot with them. It would be foolish of me to expect any lens that has been around for decades to be in pristine condition and I don't believe that is necessary.

Jul 14, 2012 at 08:35 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

EB-1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · AIS lens cleaning?

It's been a while since I used the manual focus lenses, but a local shop that works on Nikons should be able to clean a lens and re-lube if necessary. I used to do that about every five years.

EBH

Jul 15, 2012 at 12:33 AM
DesertDiesel

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · AIS lens cleaning?

My question is what product can be used to bring back the original shine to the black metal/plastic exterior of our lenses? Perhaps a micro cloth with a bit of pledge? What is recommended?

TIA

Feb 11, 2013 at 11:51 PM
MalbikEndar
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · AIS lens cleaning?

I'm curious- has anyone had a lens cleaned and had it come back mis-focusing? (If it is disassembled) it can't be easy to get all those pieces of glass back in the right place.

Feb 12, 2013 at 12:03 AM
mikerfns
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · AIS lens cleaning?

Leave well enough alone unless the dust is REALLY bad or you need to service the lens for other reasons (replacing the helicoid grease, etc.).

Some of that dust you see was installed in Japan and has been there since day 0.

Feb 12, 2013 at 12:34 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password