Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · San Luis Obispo??

Kitehog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · San Luis Obispo??

Hi Folks
Some of you may remember me from some time back I use to post on this board. Over the past couple of years I've been photographing a different type of wildlife ...High School Seniors!

I have not had a lot of time for my first love which is wild life photography.

Anyway Iím heading out on my Bi-Annual Business trip to CA next month and am going to be in the San Luis Obispo area. Because time is normally tight I was looking for some insight for places to shoot while in the area.

I did a little internet research and there seems to be several wildlife refuges in the area but if anyone has personal experience that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Greg

Because it is a wildlife forum I figured I better post at least one image so here is a shot I took with my 300 2.8 and 2xTCIII. One of the few times Iíve been able to get out in the recent past.

NIKON D300    300.0 mm f/2.8 lens    600mm    f/5.6    1/1600s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

NIKON D300    300.0 mm f/2.8 lens    600mm    f/5.6    1/1600s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

Apr 17, 2012 at 06:27 PM
chris.bersbach
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · San Luis Obispo??

Greg,

I don't usually shoot wildlife, but I live in San Luis, and I *do* know the best places to get a brew, so drop me a PM when you're in town - I'll buy the first round.

As far as places to shoot, you can't go wrong with Montana de Oro State Park. Some of the most beautiful coast that CA has to offer, and ample opportunities for wildlife, including sea birds and birds of prey. 15 minutes north of there, in Morro Bay, there are most opportunities for the same, and I've personally seen a baldie hunting over the estuary.

Also, I never remember what time of year they're out, but I've seen plenty of hunting white-tailed kites on Islay Hill, on the south side of San Luis. Raptors abound here, so you won't have any trouble finding good subjects.

Apr 17, 2012 at 06:38 PM
dalite
• • • •
p.1 #3 · San Luis Obispo??

I went to school there so here's my recommendation: Morro Bay State Park (shorebirds and scenery) and Montana de Oro (landscape and seascape). And if you're willing to drive another 20 miles south from SLO I'd recommend the Nipomo Sand Dunes.

So Chris has got it right.

Apr 17, 2012 at 07:01 PM
Kitehog
• • • •
p.1 #4 · San Luis Obispo??

Chris and dalite..Thanks for the info sounds like I won't have to travel far for some good photo opportunities.

Chris I should be in town on 5/7...I'll send you a PM before I leave. I'll buy the second round!

Thanks Again

Greg

Apr 18, 2012 at 03:01 AM
David Leask
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · San Luis Obispo??

Super shots Greg. I can't help with the SLO info but good luck with the trip
David

Apr 18, 2012 at 09:35 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Kitehog
• • • •
p.1 #6 · San Luis Obispo??

David Leask wrote:
Super shots Greg. I can't help with the SLO info but good luck with the trip
David

Thanks Dave

Apr 18, 2012 at 01:03 PM
NuclearRoy
• •
p.1 #7 · San Luis Obispo??

I haven't been there in about 20 years, but I remember a little place along the shore in Montana De Oro park that is perfect to get some night shots. Wear your camo gear and bring all your strobes. Follow Pecho Valley Road until you come to the razor wire fence, then start shooting......

BTW - Very nice pics

Apr 18, 2012 at 04:34 PM
Kitehog
• • • •
p.1 #8 · San Luis Obispo??

NuclearRoy wrote:
I haven't been there in about 20 years, but I remember a little place along the shore in Montana De Oro park that is perfect to get some night shots. Wear your camo gear and bring all your strobes. Follow Pecho Valley Road until you come to the razor wire fence, then start shooting......

BTW - Very nice pics

If I didn't know better Roy I would think you were trying to get me in trouble!

Apr 18, 2012 at 04:57 PM
Kitehog
• • • •
p.1 #9 · San Luis Obispo??

Leaving Monday any more recommendations would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
Greg

May 01, 2012 at 10:14 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password