New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Adobe upgrade program question

Ruahrc
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Adobe upgrade program question

Being a student who will graduate soon, I am preparing for a raid on my university software store. One of the products I wanted was the CS design suite.

Since it is not likely that CS6 will be released by the time I graduate, I am thinking about buying CS5.5. However, Adobe has their "complimentary upgrade" policy where if you buy CS5.5 from march till early may, you can get a free upgrade to CS6 when it comes out.

My question is, for those of you who have used this upgrade program in the past, do you get an upgrade or replacement of the product you purchased?

For example, I buy the CS5.5 design premium suite. This is a "full verison" so I do not need any prior adobe product or producy key to install it. With the "CS6 upgrade" program, do I get a new "full version" of CS6 that I can install straight off, or do I just get a CS5.5 to CS6 upgrade key, so that I have to install CS5.5, and then upgrade it to CS6 every time I need to reinstall the software?

Lastly, sort of off topic but is there any meaningful difference between Photoshop and Photoshop extended, if your photoshop usage is photographic in nature? Some of the package products include PS extended, while others only include the standard PS.

Thanks

Norman

Apr 17, 2012 at 12:20 PM
theoryzero

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Adobe upgrade program question

In the past they haven't announced an upgrade grace period prior to a product announcement before, so this is new territory for Adobe. Nice to see in the FAQ that Adobe allows EDU customers to participate in this promotion. Also new territory! In the past, grace period updates excluded EDU licenses.

For grace period updates in the past, you got a new UPGRADE license key and download.

Since graduating I upgraded my EDU version of Macromedia Studio MX to CS3 Web Premium. Over the years I upgraded to CS4 Design Premium and CS5 Design Premium. I just had my SSD die last November so I had to reinstall Windows and all the apps on my system.

You do not need to install the old versions of CS to install the latest version. When you get your downloadable CS6 upgrade the CS6 installer will ask you to provide both your CS5.5 key and your CS6 upgrade key.

Personally I've only bought a premium version of a particular CS release, so I've always had PS Extended. Never used any of the 3D stuff, so I probably don't need it. Info comparing the two is very limited, here's the best I can find. http://www.adobe.com/content/dam/Adobe/en/products/photoshopfamily/pdfs/photoshop-cs5-edition-comparison-ue.pdf?PID=2159997

Apr 17, 2012 at 12:48 PM
Ruahrc
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Adobe upgrade program question

Thanks for the info. I suppose even if it is an upgrade key, you don't have to futz around with that double-install nonsense. That happened to me with my academic version of Windows 7, which would not install on a totally blank drive. It checks for the presence of windows -*any* windows- and not seeing one, it would not let me enter the product key. So the solution was to simply run the installer again, whereby it saw the windows files on the HD I installed there 10 minutes ago and the second time it lets you put in the key. Show me the logic in that

I'm leaning a little towards the design premium version now since it also includes Dreamweaver and Fireworks, which I may develop interest in later on. I definitely want at a minimum Photoshop photography, and Illustrator + InDesign for preparation of graphics, figures, and posters for work. Most of the features of PS extended would be lost on me too but the quantitative analysis features of PS Extended may actually be of use to me.

I have the standalone version of PS-CS3 extended right now and I can legitimately say I did use the quantitative measurement tools in it once!

Apr 17, 2012 at 01:19 PM
theoryzero

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Adobe upgrade program question

Yeah, the Windows 7 (and Vista) check is annoying. The retail upgrade did the same thing, and I did the same as you, install it twice. :-)

I used Dreamweaver and Fireworks a lot in college (hence I had Studio MX). Sadly I've not really learned the CS versions so I'm debating whether I should go Design Premium or Design Standard this time around. I use PS 60% of the time, Illustrator 20% and InDesign 20%. These apps are immense, I really should resist the urge to upgrade at every release. Hate to see how much $$$ I've spent on Adobe over the past few years.

Apr 17, 2012 at 01:32 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.