Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              9      
       11       end

Archive 2012 · $99 or $500 Gimbal

Sven Jeppesen
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.10 #1 · p.10 #1 · $99 or $500 Gimbal

pKai wrote:
Although technically they are, maybe not when they're on a Leica, .

Why do you think Zeiss are NOT 3rd party on a Leica . Why is it different to use Zeiss on a Leica instead of using Zeiss on Canon/Nikon/Pentax

May 17, 2012 at 03:05 PM
pKai
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.10 #2 · p.10 #2 · $99 or $500 Gimbal

capt don wrote:
Kinda hard to figure this one out but think of this, but it should be a "no brainer", you spend between $5000 and $12,000 for a lens and another $2000 to $6000 for the camera and you are thinking about putting that rig on a $100 chinese knock off. You don't even know how its made, it could be full of pinholes and casting flaws and who knows if it's made of pot metal. Come on guy wake up and buy a decent head to put that fine investment on before disaster happens and then you post a warning
...Show more

I agree that if money were no object, I'd always buy the "perceived" best of everything regardless of cost..... I may even pop for $50 studs for my mansion... just kuz I can.

As it happens, money does matter to me..... I have to choose to spend money where it will actually do something for me...... So when it comes to lenses (for example) that are totally more durable and yield better images, I will spend the money. When it comes to other things, I skimp a little so I can afford better stuff where it counts.... specially when the "cheapie" is a low-tech device, appears well built, and the obvious reason why its so cheap is the state of the Chinese near-slave economy. As I said in my earlier post... if this Beike head falls apart and dumps my $10,000 rig in a pond, I will buy TWO Wimberley heads with the insurance money.....

As for the "buy American" mantra..... Normally, I am a big proponent of this.... with TWO exceptions:

1. An American product I need doesn't exist -- Examples: cameras and lenses.... Ferrari-type cars (no, I don't have one), etc....

2. The foreign product is so well-built and so underpriced compared to the American counterpart that I can't resist and the other choice is not having one. This is the current state of tripods, ball heads, and gimbals. Apologies to the Mr. Wimberleys of the USA..... you are competing with Chinese slaves... better get used to it, kuz it ain't gonna change any time soon.

May 17, 2012 at 03:25 PM
pKai
• • •
p.10 #3 · p.10 #3 · $99 or $500 Gimbal

Sven Jeppesen wrote:
Why do you think Zeiss are NOT 3rd party on a Leica . Why is it different to use Zeiss on a Leica instead of using Zeiss on Canon/Nikon/Pentax

It was just a off-hand comment..... Didn't Leicas come with Zeiss lenses from the factory at least for a while? Wouldn't this make them OEM lenses? Pardon my ignorance..... I'm not that well-versed on Leica/Zeiss history.

Of course, there is no difference in actually using a Zeiss lens on any camera versus another.

May 17, 2012 at 03:33 PM
Sven Jeppesen
• • • •
p.10 #4 · p.10 #4 · $99 or $500 Gimbal

Leica and Zeiss are two different brands. And you don't get any Zeiss lenses from Leica when buying there cameras

May 17, 2012 at 03:48 PM
sorpa
• •
p.10 #5 · p.10 #5 · $99 or $500 Gimbal

Different brands but Leica still uses Schott glass.

May 17, 2012 at 04:14 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.10 #6 · p.10 #6 · $99 or $500 Gimbal

Bifurcator wrote:
Zeiss made 3rd party glass pre-90's

pKai wrote:
Although technically they are, maybe not when they're on a Leica, I don't consider Zeiss a "3rd-party lens" for the purpose of differentiating them from camera-maker lenses in terms of IQ and build quality.... There is no argument that Zeiss has been making top-rate optics for well over a century. Voigtlander (sp) is another one that is not in the same category as the "eastern" 3rd-party lens makers. Some of their offerings, specially in the shortish focal length, big aperture range, positively wipe the floor with anything Canon or Nikon have to offer. If I had need for a top-notch
...Show more

I've never agreed with that phrase even tho I have myself used it on occasion. One very often gets more for less and such it is with capitalism and the competition it encourages. Inversely one often pays a premium for nothing more useless than a simple printed logo. Apple's goods and that of their competitions is a great example here. In almost every case non-Apple products are superior in both function and toughness while at the same time much less expensive. Apple is fantastic at marketing and thus creating "demand" where none or little existed prior but just about everyone beats their pants off at making the toys. There are exceptions of course where sometimes the phrase applies but in my experience so far not really with support gear like remotes, heads, legs, lights, and so forth.

I don't remember the lens offerings back in the day because I almost only used maker glass with the bodies I owned. But today I have held, tested, and compared around 400 lenses this past year or two. It's of them and now (on digital) I know to comment.

In any case, for me, it doesn't really matter about any of the other gimbals because I would never pay their asking prices. I have used the Wimberley and I have compared it for one day to the Beike. If the price difference were even only two fold I would prefer the Beike. Yet the difference is not two but six to ten fold! The Beike is $69 with some expensive shipping (to Japan) attached bringing the total to something like $96 paid and delivered.

May 17, 2012 at 04:31 PM
rdcny
• • •
p.10 #7 · p.10 #7 · $99 or $500 Gimbal

Received this Gimbal head several weeks ago (less than $100 shipped to USA from China - to my door in NYC), and just had a chance to work with some big lenses. It works fine with both the Canon 500 F4 as well as the CANON 800mm F5.6 lens. I think there was some question about whether this gimbal head would work with the largest lenses - it does. Camera used = 5D3. So to say again:

Canon 800mm F5.6 IS - works fine with this gimbal head

Jun 12, 2012 at 11:26 AM
yorkerinn
• •
p.10 #8 · p.10 #8 · $99 or $500 Gimbal

upon reading this thread I ordered one and am happy that I did. Saved me a ton of moolah.Can anyone reccomend a feasible Flash Bracket for this. $ 195 for a Wimberley bracket is way too much for me

Jun 20, 2012 at 03:13 PM
rdcny
• • •
p.10 #9 · p.10 #9 · $99 or $500 Gimbal

Great; as for you request, look for the bracket used...will save some money on that. Perhaps someone here will know if there is a similar "knock-off" version available.

Jun 21, 2012 at 04:08 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.10 #10 · p.10 #10 · $99 or $500 Gimbal

I hate to sound like McGiver or something but for flash brackets I think the hardware store is the place to go. Thin cork pads or anti-slip rubber sheets are easy to cut and glue on with just a little rubber cement. The metal precut brackets with the holes or slots already in them are between 50 and $5 and can be bent into shape just using your hands and a tabletop. The winged stub-bolts which fit a standard tripod socket are like $1 for 5pcs. And the tiny flash-shoe ballheads are available for about $1 or less when you get more than one at a time. To attache it between the camera and arca-swiss plate there are extra long lock-bolts you can buy for less than $1 a piece. If you want clip-on instead of being trapped between the camera and the plate there are ultra-cheap arca-swiss ball heads for around $3 which will allow you to clip the whole thing onto a double-sided plate - which are pretty common I think.

If you hate silver metal or suck at erector-set like assembly then just search ebay... There's pages and pages and pages of options under $25 !

Examples of double-sided plates:

http://www.hejnarphoto.com/ebay/pictures/A3-80/0003_A3-80.jpg
http://www.hejnarphoto.com/ebay/pictures/E50/0003_E50.jpg

Jun 21, 2012 at 05:08 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ukkisavosta
• •
p.10 #11 · p.10 #11 · $99 or $500 Gimbal

Bif,

If you recall, I had some trouble with the stiffness of the gimbal's pitching action. Well, the stiffness did not go away with use, so I finally followed your suggestion of spreading some graphite powder (some HB pencil graphite to be exact) in the rotating parts. After a minute of working in the graphite and rotating the parts, the stiffness gradually went away, and the gimbal is now as it should have been from the beginning: it rotates very smoothly and with ease.

Edit: I should also mention that the tightening knob for the pitching action is now much more progressive: originally even a small twist would pretty much lock the movement completely, but now the knob has a much larger working range and the stiffness can be controlled with much more precision.

Thanks a lot for the excellent tip! Very much appreciated.

Jaakko

Jun 22, 2012 at 08:32 AM
ukkisavosta
• •
p.10 #12 · p.10 #12 · $99 or $500 Gimbal

Forgot to mention these tips to anyone thinking of using the gimbal as a no-parallax panoramic head:

The supplied arca-type plate has two holes for the screw: the long parallel one and the short non-parallel one. The non-parallel hole allows centering the lens in the middle of the point of rotation (it's really very obvious... and I nearly drilled another hole into my macro rail).

The camera can be centered easily by rotating it lens down and popping off the Beike badge (held on by some glue) and adjusting the vertical post and plate screw so that the middle of the hex screw below the badge is in the center AF box when looking through the viewfinder.

Jaakko

Jun 22, 2012 at 08:51 AM
yorkerinn
• •
p.10 #13 · p.10 #13 · $99 or $500 Gimbal

Bifurcator wrote:
I hate to sound like McGiver or something but for flash brackets I think the hardware store is the place to go. Thin cork pads or anti-slip rubber sheets are easy to cut and glue on with just a little rubber cement. The metal precut brackets with the holes or slots already in them are between 50 and $5 and can be bent into shape just using your hands and a tabletop. The winged stub-bolts which fit a standard tripod socket are like $1 for 5pcs. And the tiny flash-shoe ballheads are available for about $1 or less when you
...Show more

Thanks Bifurcator. I will try to DIY with your suggestions

Jun 22, 2012 at 11:27 AM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.10 #14 · p.10 #14 · $99 or $500 Gimbal

Hey Jaakko,

Glad that worked out for ya! What are you talking about in your second post there? I didn't fully follow what you were trying to do.

yorkerinn,

Sure, NP man.

Jun 25, 2012 at 07:34 AM
roboticspro
• • •
p.10 #15 · p.10 #15 · $99 or $500 Gimbal

Hey Bif,

Thanks for spreading the word on this...it came in Monday.

I like mine too, although I will still leave the heavy lifting to the +500.00 Jobu

Regards,

Edd

Edited on Aug 11, 2012 at 11:59 PM · View previous versions

Jun 27, 2012 at 12:49 AM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.10 #16 · p.10 #16 · $99 or $500 Gimbal

Nice!

Jun 27, 2012 at 03:30 PM
cputeq
• • • •
p.10 #17 · p.10 #17 · $99 or $500 Gimbal

Well I finally broke down and bought one from Ebay just now. I've had my Minolta 600mm just sitting in its wooden case for a while now, and I've got a hankering to hook it back up to the NEX5N for some birding on the cheap...which is virtually impossible with my ball head.

We'll see how it goes.

Jun 29, 2012 at 11:07 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.10 #18 · p.10 #18 · $99 or $500 Gimbal

what about the Induro GHB2 Gimbal Head ? how does it compare to the rest?

Jul 07, 2012 at 03:38 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.10 #19 · p.10 #19 · $99 or $500 Gimbal

If that's the same Induro I looked at (not long ago) it's slightly bigger, with a finish much more akin to the Wimberley, and it's heavier. At first glance it looks and feels "high quality". In use It's about the same as the Wimberley or the Bieke IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGX1hpglbXg

Jul 13, 2012 at 12:42 PM
wayneo

p.10 #20 · p.10 #20 · $99 or $500 Gimbal

Wow
I finaly read this whole thread.
Got my Bk ordered and will not ever loose a moments sleep.
Sorry Mr. Wimberly but I guess I need my cash just as much as you do.

Nov 04, 2012 at 03:26 AM
       11       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

11       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password