Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Pelagic Lens Suggestion

moonyguy
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Pelagic Lens Suggestion

My apology if this is OT here. I am going on a couple pelagic bird trips in the next week off the coast of Big Island (Kona Coast) and Oahu (Pelican Banks). Just wondering if anyone can offer some suggestions what lens+ body combination. Here is what I have. The boat is a 40 foot vessel.

Canon 1d Mark IIn
Canon T2i

Canon 500 F4 L IS
Canon 400 F5.6 L
Canon 100-400 5.6 L IS
Canon 70-200 F4 L

I have a 430 EX II Flash with Better Beamer but not sure if it will be of any help. Thanks for the suggestions.

Vishnu

Apr 16, 2012 at 04:52 PM
ashley138
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Pelagic Lens Suggestion

I'm soooo jealous! I've wanted to go on one of these trips for so long. I've never done it but I have attemped to photograph birds from the ferry. Others with more experience may give you better suggestions but if it were me, I'd bring a couple lenses.
If you will be seeing colonies of birds then I'd definitely bring the 500. If the birds will only be in air and water then I'd probably still bring the 500 - but obviously that depends on how comfortable you are doing handhled/BIF etc. with a big lens. The second choice is a little tougher. You may want something that can zoom out for birds flying really close etc. (like 100-400) but if you're not worried about that, then maybe take the 400/5.6 since most agree it's a little sharper. I'd bring your flash w/ the better beamer. I generally just keep mine on the camera - in case you have low light, bad weather (causing very low light) or just for a backlit subject. I'd bring a nice camera/lens backpack so you can carry extra lens(es). Hope that helps!! Have fun!

Apr 17, 2012 at 01:17 AM
moonyguy
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Pelagic Lens Suggestion

Thanks a lot for the tips Ashley. Will try your suggestions. Good thing is the trips are a week apart and they are pretty affordable ($150) so I can try and few things different next week. Will keep you posted!

Vishnu

Apr 17, 2012 at 01:33 AM
jdc562
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Pelagic Lens Suggestion

Here are some more suggestions for photography from a small boat:
1. To prevent vibration transmission, don't rest your lens/camera on a railing or other part of the vessel. Use your body to absorb the vibration. (Hand-holding will influence your choice of lens.)
2. If the boat is moving up and down on the swell, try "posting" to reduce movement of your camera. Flex your legs at the hips and knees. As the boat moves down, move your legs as though you are pushing the boat downwards into the trough. When the boat rises, absorb the rise by letting your legs increase their bend. Do the same with one leg when the boat rolls. This is a little like skiing or horseback riding. Gauge the movement to keep your head (and camera) steady in one place. It takes a little practice, but it works. It also reduces getting seasick. (I've gotten through some pretty rough seas this way while my friends were agonizing in their bunks or in the head when it was too dangerous to hang over the rail.)

Apr 17, 2012 at 02:16 AM
KINGOFKNGS
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Pelagic Lens Suggestion

Is there any concern for the camera equipment getting sea water on it? I'm going on a pelagic trip next week and am a little worried about this.

May 22, 2012 at 04:05 AM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password