Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · ipad 3 used to transfer files

ifxbonz
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · ipad 3 used to transfer files

Can an ipad 3 be used like a laptop. What I'm asking can I use the ipad as a means to transfer files from an externally attached cf card reader to an external hd via a usb hub. I'm assuming that the ipad would need to be connecter to an external power source to be able to power a 500 gb WD passport. trying to downsize for travel?

Andy

Apr 16, 2012 at 03:24 AM
billk55
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · ipad 3 used to transfer files

I'd like to know if you have any success with this. I just scored a new Ipad this weekend, but I have to say the photo application support that's built in is pretty grim.

I'm just starting to explore 3rd party apps.

Apr 16, 2012 at 04:56 AM
timpdx
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · ipad 3 used to transfer files

Built in photo on the new ipad does stink, I just downloaded photo manager pro, its leagues better, not perfect, but that is the beauty of the app store, I only paid a couple of bucks for it. Just diving into Photo Mgr Pro, it did what I want it to do so far, can upload via ftp, name and change folders, what I was frustrated that the ipad could not do out of the box.

Apr 17, 2012 at 12:23 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

flash
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · ipad 3 used to transfer files

The short answer is no. The iPad doesn't support USB drives natively. You can jailbreak it though.

The solution is to buy a Hyperdrive for iPad. It has card readers built in so you download your cards to it. You can put a 1TB drive in if you want. Then you can connect the Hperdrive to your iPad which fools it into thinking that its a memory card. The connection is through the camera connection kit. Then you can load selected images to the iPad and keep the rest on the Hyperdrive.

Gordon

Apr 23, 2012 at 05:19 AM
elkhornsun
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · ipad 3 used to transfer files

No - Apple wants you to use iTunes for EVERYTHING. Better to get a Samsung Galaxy though it too has limited data storage and is not going to be anywhere near as fast as a laptop with a USB 3.0 port and card reader.

Best way to downsize for travel is with a small 2.5 lb. netbook and a small USB card reader. Many have SDHC readers built into them if that is the card type that you use. I get 8 hours of battery life from my Lenovo with its standard battery. I use its three USB ports to charge my phone and other devices so all I need is one outlet and one plug adapter for everything.

Apr 30, 2012 at 09:33 PM
JBPhotog
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · ipad 3 used to transfer files

Sure you can upload your cards to the iPad using this new device just announced by MIC Gadgets, http://store.micgadget.com/ipad3-card-readers/315-cf-sd-high-speed-card-reader-for-ipad-3.html

Might want an external drive to connect to the iPad too as storage space can be limiting.

May 01, 2012 at 06:35 PM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password