Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Visable noise at 100%

kennygsr

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Visable noise at 100%

Question, do others here worry about noise that is only noticeable at 100% view?
I don't know if it a waste of time and does it affect the quality to apply minimal noise reduction.

Thanks,

Kenny

Apr 15, 2012 at 05:04 PM
Ruahrc
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Visable noise at 100%

Generally I don't. Especially if
1) you will end up printing the image, where the noise is lost in the paper texture or ink dots
2) you downsize for web use. The noise will go away in the downsizing

I care more about chroma noise than luminance noise. If there is just a little noise visible at 100% I will give just a touch of chroma NR (like 5 points worth on the LR slider) to clean out color impurities, and then leave the luminance noise as is.

Norman

Apr 15, 2012 at 05:53 PM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Visable noise at 100%

It depends too on how large the print will be and how many pixels per inch will be printed. Your monitor shows about 90-130 ppi and most prints are done at 200-300ppi, but that may drop for very big prints.

Then of course it also matters how closely the prints will be viewed.

It also matters if you need to enlarge the image a lot and/or do any significant editing (e.g. sharpening) that might exaggerate the visible appearance of noise. You might find that a little NR allows more sharpening and results in a better image. Go to far with the NR and you'll lose fine detail. Go too far with the sharpening and you'll create artifacts that should not be there.

And it also matters if you do a lot of viewing of parts of the image on-screen at 100%. Not everything gets printed.

You asked if it affects the quality to apply minimal NR. If you are using Canon DPP then I would say "yes" because its NR feature can best be described as savage - even a very little NR has a significant impact on image detail (unless the program has been changed recently for the better). Other programs such as Lightroom are much better behaved.

- Alan

Apr 16, 2012 at 08:01 AM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Visable noise at 100%

Ruahrc wrote:
Generally I don't. Especially if
1) you will end up printing the image, where the noise is lost in the paper texture or ink dots

+1

If people would print more they would worry less about noise because when you print the noise you see on screen is usually gone. This is why I think pixel peepers are not as smart as they think they are when evaluating images on screen.

Apr 16, 2012 at 12:57 PM
Bernie
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Visable noise at 100%

As mentioned, it depends. Noise reduction may enable you to perform better sharpening and a cleaner image even for web viewing. It's surprising how care at all steps of image creation affects final quality.

If you're like me and print large, you find yourself pixel peeping because your final print will involve uprezzing. So viewing at 100% is not even enough.

Apr 18, 2012 at 03:57 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password