Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Advice on new monitor please.

dave chilvers
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Advice on new monitor please.

I`m using a 27" Dell as my main photoshop work space along with a 22" dell for my pallets. It` s been used a lot and just lately I`ve been having more of a problem calibrating it. I put my work on pbase and Alamy so decent colour matching is important. I`m told that there are monitors that are more or less designed for photoshop work and need little calibration. Obviously it will need at least two means of input.
Any suggestions?

BTW what ever I purchase will need to be available in the UK.

Thanks

Apr 14, 2012 at 02:13 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Advice on new monitor please.

NEC PA series packaged with their software and puck (PA271bk-sv. 241bk-sv)
Not sure about UK availability but I know they have some out of US presence.
Scott

Apr 14, 2012 at 02:36 PM
dave chilvers
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Advice on new monitor please.

sbeme wrote:
NEC PA series packaged with their software and puck (PA271bk-sv. 241bk-sv)
Not sure about UK availability but I know they have some out of US presence.
Scott

Is this the sort of thing you are talking about Scott? http://www.ebuyer.com/220605-nec-multisync-pa271w-bk-tft-lcd-27-dvi-d-monitor-60002925

Dave

Apr 15, 2012 at 06:12 AM
gdh66

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Advice on new monitor please.

Whatever monitor you buy you'll need to calibrate it, although it might be argued that an NEC is OTT for Alamy - who don't particularly care about extreme colour accuracy (i.e. they routinely strip out ICC profiles).

Apr 15, 2012 at 10:48 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Advice on new monitor please.

Yes.

Apr 15, 2012 at 10:52 AM
dave chilvers
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Advice on new monitor please.

This is my alamy pages http://www.alamy.com/search/searchresults.aspx?CreativeOn=1&qt=David+J+Chilvers&search=&all=1&creative=&adv=1&dtfr=&dtTo=&et=0x000000000000000000000&ag=0&vp=0&loc=0&lic=6&lic=1&hc=&selectdate=1&txtdtfr=&txtdtto=&size=0xFF&ot=1&ot=2&ot=4&ot=8&archive=1&chckarchive=1&aqt=&epqt=&oqt=&nqt=

On my 22" monitor they look washed out but on my 27" Dell they look fine. How are you guys seeing them??

Dave

Apr 15, 2012 at 12:13 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Advice on new monitor please.

Good.
Are you using the same browser for each?

Apr 15, 2012 at 01:28 PM
dave chilvers
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Advice on new monitor please.

sbeme wrote:
Good.

I am using Google on the 22" and iex on the 27". The 22" has not got the same amount of colour sat like the 27".

BTW does the browser make that much difference?

Apr 15, 2012 at 06:43 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Advice on new monitor please.

Your monitors may have different color spaces (eg aRGB or the narrower sRGB). Your images may be saved in a variety of color spaces including aRGB or, preferably for the internet sRGB, the default color space. Not all monitors will be able to show the broader range of aRGB. But the more relevant issue may be whether the browsers you use are "aware" of any tagged color space information imbedded in your exported image, or whether they default to sRGB independent of how you saved the image.
Try this: On your 22 view in IEx. If they still look significantly different it is the monitor and not a browser issue.
For more detailed info on color space there is a good overview on www.cambridgeincolour.com, as well as many other places and previous threads here.
Scott

Apr 15, 2012 at 08:32 PM
dave chilvers
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Advice on new monitor please.

sbeme wrote:
Good.

When you say "Good" did you mean that the alamy images look OK to you?

Apr 16, 2012 at 01:08 PM
gdh66

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Advice on new monitor please.

I think your pictures generally look okay, Dave - shot in harsh light in some cases and a tad overexposed occasionally. The biggest problem that I'd foresee—unrelated to anything being discussed here—is that you seem to submit a lot of 'similars', which are likely to significantly harm your ranking.

The colour problem is something of a red herring with Alamy. As Scott is pointing out, their previews are likely to appear inconsistently because they're untagged, so then the combination of monitor gamut and browser behaviour comes into play with endless permutations possible. Alamy have pretty much dispensed with colour management, probably because with over 30,000,000 images the saving in storage and bandwidth is significant? Anyway, the net result is a total disregard for colour fidelity all the way to the customer—it's left to their interpretation.

Better to buy a high-end NEC because you like nice things rather than believe it'll help you on the stock photography front, particularly with the cavalier stock supermarkets!

Apr 16, 2012 at 04:19 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Advice on new monitor please.

Good in the sense that the images did not appear washed out.
I didnt look beyond that level.
Scott

Apr 16, 2012 at 07:00 PM
dave chilvers
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Advice on new monitor please.

gdh66 wrote:
I think your pictures generally look okay, Dave - shot in harsh light in some cases and a tad overexposed occasionally. The biggest problem that I'd foresee—unrelated to anything being discussed here—is that you seem to submit a lot of 'similars', which are likely to significantly harm your ranking.

The colour problem is something of a red herring with Alamy. As Scott is pointing out, their previews are likely to appear inconsistently because they're untagged, so then the combination of monitor gamut and browser behaviour comes into play with endless permutations possible. Alamy have pretty much dispensed with colour management, probably
...Show more

Thanks for your input, Yeh! the lighting on the coast in early spring is harsh to say the least and makes it hard to couple colour with exp. To be honest, I`m retired now and there are places that I just love to walk weather permitting and shoot images for my own website. So while I`m processing images for myself and before I resize them for the web I just save a copy for Alamy and upload them. No big deal and as you mentioned the state of the stock image market isn`t worth getting excited about because every body and the dog now has a camera quite capable of shooting stock images, so where as digital opened up the photography world for everyone it also opened up the stock agencies to them (I remember those long fume infested nights in the darkroom to maybe produce one decent image

Cheers

Apr 17, 2012 at 03:28 AM
dave chilvers
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Advice on new monitor please.

sbeme wrote:
Good in the sense that the images did not appear washed out.
I didnt look beyond that level.
Scott

Thanks, that`s what I meant, just the general look.

Thanks again

Apr 17, 2012 at 03:29 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.