New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Tutorial site

azimmer

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tutorial site

I know everyone is trying to make a living out there, but are there any FREE tutorial sites these days? I am just looking for a site where people post their before and after shots and go through how they got them. Anyone know of a site that hosts user postings like that? Thanks in advance!

Apr 13, 2012 at 07:40 PM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tutorial site

It is a grab bag of tips, but Russel Brown of Adobe has a free video tutorials here:
http://www.russellbrown.com/tips_tech.html

Apr 14, 2012 at 06:15 AM
buckeyeguy1
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tutorial site

There are a lot of videos on YouTube. Lots of different techniques as well.

Apr 14, 2012 at 07:18 AM
azimmer

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tutorial site

Yeah i guess the problem with youtube is that there is a lot of crap out there.

Apr 14, 2012 at 12:36 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Tutorial site

Not tutorials per se, but a bunch of us on Critique are happy to share the post-processing steps we use.
Scott

Apr 14, 2012 at 02:37 PM
gpop
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Tutorial site

cgardner wrote:
It is a grab bag of tips, but Russel Brown of Adobe has a free video tutorials here:
http://www.russellbrown.com/tips_tech.html

good stuff in there, thanks for posting that link.

Apr 19, 2012 at 04:45 PM
mshi
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Tutorial site

azimmer wrote:
I know everyone is trying to make a living out there, but are there any FREE tutorial sites these days? I am just looking for a site where people post their before and after shots and go through how they got them. Anyone know of a site that hosts user postings like that? Thanks in advance!

Kelby training offers 30-day free training, or do pay-as-you-go at lynda.com, which is better than kelby for me.

Apr 19, 2012 at 07:22 PM
miketerror

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Tutorial site

I'm actually interested in something like this too since I'm a complete beginner. However, I wouldn't mind paying for quality material if the teaching and tutorials can help someone like myself.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think learning photography isn't linear from A to Z, so I find myself overwhelmed with the abundance of information online. Has anyone had any experience with kelbytraining.com?

Apr 20, 2012 at 01:26 AM
mshi
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Tutorial site

Kelby targets consumer and hobbyists as their core market. If you make a living doing this stuff, lynda.com is better.

Apr 20, 2012 at 10:49 AM
Wrei
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Tutorial site

You didn't mention what S/W you are using. Adobe has a few lessons. http://tv.adobe.com/product/photoshop/

Apr 20, 2012 at 11:33 AM
miketerror

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Tutorial site

I've actually been looking into both kelbytraining & lynda.com last night, trying to search up old threads. It seems like there's a mix of opinions for both sides, but after further looking into it, I think I may actually try out lynda.com for a month. Lynda.com seems to be a bit more organized.

I have both Adobe Photoshop Lightroom V3 as well as Adobe Photoshop CS5. I've never had any real formal training on them and everything has been self taught by playing around with all the tools ever since I was a kid.

I'm sure LR and CS5 are both different tools of the photographer for different uses, but can someone explain when is the time to use LR and when is the time to use Photoshop?

Apr 20, 2012 at 12:35 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Tutorial site

miketerror wrote:
I'm sure LR and CS5 are both different tools of the photographer for different uses, but can someone explain when is the time to use LR and when is the time to use Photoshop?

Here's how I use them.

I use LR to organize my photos. I place my CF card in the computer and import the images. I use it as my virtual "light table", going through the images marking and categorizing them. We were just visited by my wife's step niece, her husband and their twin 5 month old boys. I photographed it like an event. I edited most images in LR for 4x6 prints and posting on the web. There were series of photos taken under the same conditions. I edited the first, fixing WB, contrast and the like. I then copied those settings and applied them to the rest of the photos in the series. If needed, I'd then edit individual photos to tweak.

There were a few photographs from that visit that were special, especially photos of the great-grandfather and great-grandmother holding the boys. For them, I chose "Edit In" and moved them up to PS. LR automatically makes a virtual copy when opening up PS. I then used NIK Software's Viveza to do a little cosmetic retouching, since the great-grandparents are in their '80's. Viveza has dynamic skin retouching that I used judiciously. You wouldn't know they were touched unless you saw the originals. Also, I had a few cute photos of the twins with their mom and dad. They were taken in mixed lighting. Viveza has control points that allowed me to easily balance out the light.

I just got a new Canon 5D II and have been experimenting with combined photos. They use the term "HDR", but I'm looking for a look that's more natural than what I associate with HDR. The HDR in PS does a good job of combining images. I save the result, then import the file back into LR.

I need to do more testing, but when I was using PS4 I was getting better printing results from LR3. I've now upgraded to PS6 and LR4. I need to try printing from PS6. The nice thing about LR4 is you can soft proof and you can also make density and contrast adjustments.

Apr 20, 2012 at 01:12 PM
James_N
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Tutorial site

Hands down the best FREE Photoshop retouching tutorials are by Ron Bigelow: http://ronbigelow.com/articles/articles.htm
Unlike most other tutorials he discusses both the "how" and, more importantly, the "why."

Sites that host Before and After shots and workflows are slowly disappearing or participants are losing interest as the number of editing tools multiply. When Photoshop was the undisputed primary editor is was easier to organize such sites but with the capability of raw editors like Lightroom, Capture One, AfterShot, etc increasing such sites have become fragmented. Of course you can always look at sites like Retouch Pro and Luminous Landscape.

azimmer wrote:

Apr 20, 2012 at 01:29 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Tutorial site

I did a 30d lynda.com subscription (included with my CS4 purchase).
Plenty of tutorials at every level, and plenty of teachers with different teaching styles to choose from. It may take some time to see whose content and style works best for you.

LR vs CS is a good question. My simplified answer: I work in LR 90+% of the time, except for BW conversions where I often use Nik Silver Efex. Photoshop is essential when significant cloning is necessary, if you are doing compositing (I do not), and for sophisticated local adjustments. Other than spot removal, I dont find LR3 adequate for "repairs".
I'd concentrate on learning LR first, look at some overviews on lynda or Adobe TV about setting up Photoshop preferences, use of layers, adjustment layers, smart objects and maybe stop to breathe, practice, and return when needed.

Scott

Apr 20, 2012 at 02:42 PM
mshi
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Tutorial site

miketerror wrote:

the quick answer is that you need Photoshop if you need to do manipulations in other color modes in addition to RGB; (2) you need to work with Alpha channels, such as selections, path, masks.

Apr 20, 2012 at 04:20 PM
azimmer

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Tutorial site

I will be checking out these sites. Thanks guys

Apr 22, 2012 at 07:43 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.