Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Anyone using multiple 600ex rt's on weddings yet

echelonphoto
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Anyone using multiple 600ex rt's on weddings yet

Hi all,

Haven't been here for a while ....too busy shooting. I have used various incarnations of
multiple lighting for years and probably used every kind of radio setup there is except for
PW (overpriced). I am currently using a neat pair by Photix that allows the transmitter to
be on the hot shoe and still lets you mount your on camera flash...so you can use it for
fill and focusing while triggering your off camera unit at the same time.

I am really looking at the new canon system to eliminate all these add on gizmos and
also allow full ttl control and even high speed sync via the built in radio...has anyone
used these on paying jobs yet...I would appreciate the input.

BTW...I just learned you can still get the full benefits of this unit with the 5d mk2...even
though Canon says you can't.

Apr 12, 2012 at 08:17 PM
MBMK
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Anyone using multiple 600ex rt's on weddings yet

I was just going to post this today, if anyone's using them yet? I can't find many places that got them. I need 3 and was wondering if I should just bide the dust and get the 600ex or even go further and get 2 trios and 1 580ex II (i'd use the trios for OCF only)

Apr 12, 2012 at 08:28 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Anyone using multiple 600ex rt's on weddings yet

Keith Lee just bought two...simply to make me jealous, I think. Hit him up for feedback after this weekend.

Apr 12, 2012 at 08:41 PM
MBMK
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Anyone using multiple 600ex rt's on weddings yet

Thanks Joel!

Apr 12, 2012 at 08:45 PM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Anyone using multiple 600ex rt's on weddings yet

I know a few people that have and love them. I've got some on order now. Going to see if they fit my needs or not. I'll try to report back next week.

Apr 12, 2012 at 08:55 PM
MBMK
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Anyone using multiple 600ex rt's on weddings yet

I was going to order 3 580ex from bestbuy.com because I have a bunch of rewardzone certificates but looks like they're discontinued on their site.

Let us know Tony. I'm using RP anyway for my triggers.

Apr 12, 2012 at 09:05 PM
echelonphoto
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Anyone using multiple 600ex rt's on weddings yet

Seems like this new system will be much more elegant and reliable than
any PW or RP

Apr 13, 2012 at 12:39 AM
echelonphoto
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Anyone using multiple 600ex rt's on weddings yet

Still looking for some real world input

Apr 14, 2012 at 02:23 PM
Beni
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Anyone using multiple 600ex rt's on weddings yet

echelonphoto wrote:
Seems like this new system will be much more elegant and reliable than
any PW or RP

Never had my RP PX's not be reliable, not once. Oh and they will do wireless (radio) hi-sync on bodies older than a 5D3/1Dx, full functionality on any canon flashgun that does wireless all the way back to the 550ex (my partner uses a pair of them at weddings as off camera) or the bunch of cheap slave only flashguns (420/430/430II) and has a range about 20 times that of the new canon. I can also trigger dumb JX's while shooting wireless ETTL which is very nice, two birds with one transmitter.

I would like the ability to control manual on remote units from the master flash while still using ETTL on the master though. Can't do that reliably (not counting cubes) except with the new system, IF you have a 5D3/1Dx and only if all the flash units involved are the super expensive 600ex units. You can do it on a Nikon of course back to the days of noah and the ark

Apr 15, 2012 at 03:16 PM
klee.007
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Anyone using multiple 600ex rt's on weddings yet

I played around with them yesterday outdoors on a 5DMK2 and 5DMK3. Pretty friggin cool. I love the ability to control the output on the slave via the master. I wish you change the zoom remotely but I guess that would be a bonus. Also the ability to control multiple groups is awesome (if you have 5DMK3 or 1DX) but for how I light up receptions, I wouldn't really use it (for now anyhow). Triggering was pretty consistent but I was able to get em to misfire while I was playing around in a parking lot. The LCD screen and menu is pretty intutive and you get use to it pretty quick. I brought them along with me to Jamaica (shooting a wedding tomorrow) so I'll get to play around with them some more under real world conditions. If it works out, I pick up a couple more 600s and sell my 580EX2s.

Apr 15, 2012 at 03:34 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

tonyhart
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Anyone using multiple 600ex rt's on weddings yet

So Keith you're saying that the 600EX-RT doesn't allow you to adjust zoom remotely? I'm currently rocking the Phottix Odin system which so far I am really impressed with. I've had some misfires but the control and intuitiveness is astonishingly good.

Looking forward to hearing more!

Apr 15, 2012 at 10:06 PM
dsouzl
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Anyone using multiple 600ex rt's on weddings yet

Shot a full wedding a week ago with 2 X 5D3's and 4 X 600Ex's.

- the 600Ex-RT's are a DREAM! No more cybersynchs, radio poppers or PW's! No more cables that occasionally act up! No more additional batteries that need to be checked! I have 'synchs, RP JrX's and RP PX's so there's a significant amount of space savings in my bag.
- Going wireless on the 600EX's is simply a matter of pressing the link button. You can cycle through Radio-Master, Radio-Slave, Optical-Master, Optical-Slave, and back to normal, non-linked shooting. There's a CF funtion to disable Optical triggering...I recommend disabling optical triggering to take away 2 additional options you need to cycle through (unless you want optical triggering!).
- setting up flash groups and controlling ratios is VERY intuitive.
- switching between ETTL and Manual is easy as pie.
- I found the included colour filter holders and gels a little clunky - didn't use them. I definitely prefer velcro and cut gel strips that I can put on and rip off at a moments notice...but my 600EX's a so new I couldn't bring myself to gum them up with velcro... ;-)
- some images looked a tad over-expposed on the LCD but on the PC they look perfect.
- I found myself shooting more and more in ETTL as the results seemed to be improved. I'm usually in full manual flash at a reception. I did need to switch to manual when shooting dancers that were back-lit by the DJ's lights.
- decided to forgo the ST-E3 as I prefer to have on camera flash when I need it...like when drunk aunts grab you at the reception and insist you take their photos cuz they're feeling 25 years younger and sexy!
- I caved and bought an ST-E3.

Apr 16, 2012 at 11:44 AM
tonyhart
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Anyone using multiple 600ex rt's on weddings yet

Thanks for the info! Is it possible to have mixed ETTL and Manual in the same setup?

Apr 16, 2012 at 01:20 PM
dsouzl
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Anyone using multiple 600ex rt's on weddings yet

Off hand, I'd say no...not natively with the 600Ex's anway. You can have either ETTL or Manual with up to 5 different flash groups (previously the max was 3).

There's another metering option available that I haven't read up on yet.

You could run a hybrid 600Ex's in ETTL + manual mode flashes triggered by another triggering system...the cybersync transmitter fired via the body PC-Sync port comes to mind....or strobes fired off optical triggers..but then every other flash would set those off too.

Apr 16, 2012 at 03:26 PM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Anyone using multiple 600ex rt's on weddings yet

I think Tony was probably asking if the on-camera master could be used on ETTL in conjunction with off-camera slaves being used in manual...

Apr 16, 2012 at 04:36 PM
tonyhart
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Anyone using multiple 600ex rt's on weddings yet

That I was Mr Hoffer.

Apr 16, 2012 at 04:42 PM
Andrew Welsh
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Anyone using multiple 600ex rt's on weddings yet

Sounds great but $2k for the 3 flashes I'd need is pretty darn pricey. I'll wait the 2-3-4 years for Sigma and/or Phottix to make a radio transmitter-embedded ETTL flash for half the price.

Apr 16, 2012 at 05:42 PM
dsouzl
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Anyone using multiple 600ex rt's on weddings yet

I set all flashes to ETTL. When I switched the on-camera master flash to Manual mode, I had full control over the off camera slaves. I'm guessing they switched to manual mode automatically.

I'm not sure if setting the off-camera flashes with Manual mode will leave them in manual mode. They may switch to ETTL when the Master is switched to ETTL.

I can test it out and report back if you like.

Apr 16, 2012 at 06:04 PM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Anyone using multiple 600ex rt's on weddings yet

Andrew Welsh wrote:
Sounds great but $2k for the 3 flashes I'd need is pretty darn pricey. I'll wait the 2-3-4 years for Sigma and/or Phottix to make a radio transmitter-embedded ETTL flash for half the price.

Or you could spend the $2k now, use them for 2-3-4 years, sell them for $1500 and then buy the Sigmas.

Apr 16, 2012 at 06:25 PM
Andrew Welsh
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Anyone using multiple 600ex rt's on weddings yet

Tony Hoffer wrote:
Or you could spend the $2k now, use them for 2-3-4 years, sell them for $1500 and then buy the Sigmas.

Good point, I like your business thinking

Same could be said for a 200/2....

Apr 16, 2012 at 07:04 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password