FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              7      
       9       end

Archive 2012 · 5D mark III "Stock Delayed"

John--G
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.8 #1 · p.8 #1 · 5D mark III "Stock Delayed"

That might happen soon. Isn't the 1D-X supposed to have an AF system and viewfinder similar to the 5DIII? If so, won't it have the new AF marker overlay?

As a long time 1-series user I'm not necessarily looking forward to this "improvement".

Apr 14, 2012 at 10:31 PM
Todd Klassy
• •
p.8 #2 · p.8 #2 · 5D mark III "Stock Delayed"

The issues with the illumination (or lack thereof) of AF points is colossal let-down. Arguably it is the only significant oversight Canon made. If there is any way to fix this with a firmware upgrade it would be much, much appreciated. But that's a big 'if'.

Apr 14, 2012 at 10:52 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.8 #3 · p.8 #3 · 5D mark III "Stock Delayed"

Although it isn't actually confirmed that the 1DX is the exact same (some people in the older threads on this AF illumination topic had thought that when they played with the 1DX at trade shows that it was different), I still am really surprised with the how this issue was never brought up (or at least rarely brought up) over the last 3 years. The 7D has sold in huge numbers and a lot of serious amateurs and even professionals have used it in some form. To me, I was just really surprised at the large amount of complaints once the 5D3 came out when the 7D seemed to be successful. Again, I can only attribute it to people using the 7D as an action, more outdoor type camera and maybe the people like myself who used it as a general camera weren't shooting in the challenging indoor conditions (I rarely do shoot indoors or with flash etc). However, I really don't understand the people complaining about outdoor use at all.

I guess all of Canon's beta testers/pro network that got to use both the 5D3 and 1DX didn't find it enough of a problem.
Also I did discover and mentioned in another thread that there is an extra option in the 1DX AF menu that is for how the lights illuminate. But so far I haven't seen the manual for the 1DX and I haven't seen a picture of what is in that option once selected. But there is that one extra option that hopefully if it is a solution can easily be added to the 5D3 via firmware.

Apr 15, 2012 at 08:40 AM
timbop
• • • • •
p.8 #4 · p.8 #4 · 5D mark III "Stock Delayed"

arbitrage wrote:
... I still am really surprised with the how this issue was never brought up (or at least rarely brought up) over the last 3 years. The 7D has sold in huge numbers and a lot of serious amateurs and even professionals have used it in some form. To me, I was just really surprised at the large amount of complaints once the 5D3 came out when the 7D seemed to be successful...

Yes, it is rather "curious". When I first got the 7d it annoyed me as well, but after half an hour I got used to it and it has never bothered me since. However, there seems to be a ton of angst regarding this camera and how it is a letdown in so many people's eyes. That's sad, because in reality Canon has really put together a winner - I really wish I could afford to trade in my 7d and 5d2 for a pair of 5d3's

Apr 15, 2012 at 09:22 AM
jfulton
• • • •
p.8 #5 · p.8 #5 · 5D mark III "Stock Delayed"

Im taking a leap of faith and ordered another. Should've I have waited? Probably, but it is the camera I have chosen and I need to move forward and get back to shooting. If it's AF selection/illumination is similar to the 7D's, I should be fine. I remember the learning curve with the 7D as well, and in the end, I managed to shoot some really nice shots from it at high paced events. Fingers crossed that my order comes through.

Apr 15, 2012 at 09:37 AM
Rob_O
• •
p.8 #6 · p.8 #6 · 5D mark III "Stock Delayed"

timbop wrote:
Yes, it is rather "curious". When I first got the 7d it annoyed me as well, but after half an hour I got used to it and it has never bothered me since. However, there seems to be a ton of angst regarding this camera and how it is a letdown in so many people's eyes.

I think the outcry is predominately from 5D2 users, and it's a legitimate complaint.

I'd love to see a venn diagram depicting the relationship between 5D2 owners and both the 7D and 5D3. My guess is the 5D2/7D would have only a slight intersection while the 5D2/5D3 and 7D/5D3 would show significant overlap. In other words, 7D users likely didn't step into that model after extensive use of a body where the AF indicator was illuminated like it was on the 5D2 and thus don't see the issue on the 5D3, whereas 5D3 users are coming straight out of that very scenario. It was literally the first thing I noticed, having unboxed in the evening in my dimly lit home office.

Apr 15, 2012 at 09:38 AM
Todd Klassy
• •
p.8 #7 · p.8 #7 · 5D mark III "Stock Delayed"

+1

Apr 15, 2012 at 09:47 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.8 #8 · p.8 #8 · 5D mark III "Stock Delayed"

arbitrage wrote:
Although it isn't actually confirmed that the 1DX is the exact same (some people in the older threads on this AF illumination topic had thought that when they played with the 1DX at trade shows that it was different), I still am really surprised with the how this issue was never brought up (or at least rarely brought up) over the last 3 years. The 7D has sold in huge numbers and a lot of serious amateurs and even professionals have used it in some form. To me, I was just really surprised at the large amount of complaints once
...Show more

I wouldn't put too much into Canon's beta testing program. It did not address the 1D3 focus issues, either the testers did not notice the issue, or Canon chose not to address it and realease the camera to the general public. There is huge pressures to release cameras in a certain timeframe. I have no doubt these pressures cause issues to be ignored just to get the camera out.

Apr 15, 2012 at 09:57 AM
Deezie
• • •
p.8 #9 · p.8 #9 · 5D mark III "Stock Delayed"

I wouldn't put too much into Canon's beta testing program. It did not address the 1D3 focus issues, either the testers did not notice the issue, or Canon chose not to address it and realease the camera to the general public.

We also don't know how many issues were actually resolved before bringing the camera to the market place by having beta testers offer their input. Your argument works both ways.

Apr 15, 2012 at 10:53 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.8 #10 · p.8 #10 · 5D mark III "Stock Delayed"

arbitrage wrote:
Although it isn't actually confirmed that the 1DX is the exact same (some people in the older threads on this AF illumination topic had thought that when they played with the 1DX at trade shows that it was different), I still am really surprised with the how this issue was never brought up (or at least rarely brought up) over the last 3 years. The 7D has sold in huge numbers and a lot of serious amateurs and even professionals have used it in some form. To me, I was just really surprised at the large amount of complaints once
...Show more

Someone I really wonder about who they use to beta tester. How could not one think to mention that the 5D2 video should have manual controls to begin with? Or that the histogram should be outline so you can see it when shooting outside in the sun (they did finally listen to this with the 5D3 ). etc.
I think they really need to get some perfectionist, pixel-peeper, highly technical testers on board instead of jus tthe usual suspects.

Although it may just be the way they use the testers, often they give them probably partial test bodies and half written firmware and they maybe never have them test it all at once in close to final config until it's too late??

or only ask very specific questions and don't get general input??

of course it also true that it's much easier for 30,000 people to find issues than for 20 people, regardless of who the people are

Apr 15, 2012 at 02:19 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.8 #11 · p.8 #11 · 5D mark III "Stock Delayed"

skibum5 wrote:
Someone I really wonder about who they use to beta tester. How could not one think to mention that the 5D2 video should have manual controls to begin with? Or that the histogram should be outline so you can see it when shooting outside in the sun (they did finally listen to this with the 5D3 ). etc.
I think they really need to get some perfectionist, pixel-peeper, highly technical testers on board instead of jus tthe usual suspects.

Although it may just be the way they use the testers, often they give them probably partial test bodies and half written firmware
...Show more

The usual suspects are engineers that probably have only ever held a camera in their hands, but never shot one or just run simulations all day. It reminds me of the situation at Hyundai, where its suspension engineers are mostly 20 something guys that admit they don't actually drive (ever driven a Hyundai, it really shows). I would suspect a similar scenario with the camera division. They may get input from real photographers but I'm sure that ranks low down the list when they are ticking the boxes.

Apr 15, 2012 at 05:36 PM
goosemang
• • •
p.8 #12 · p.8 #12 · 5D mark III "Stock Delayed"

timbop wrote:
Yes, it is rather "curious". When I first got the 7d it annoyed me as well, but after half an hour I got used to it and it has never bothered me since. However, there seems to be a ton of angst regarding this camera and how it is a letdown in so many people's eyes. That's sad, because in reality Canon has really put together a winner - I really wish I could afford to trade in my 7d and 5d2 for a pair of 5d3's

I'm with you here. at first my 7d seemed like it wasn't giving me enough feedback, but once I got used to the AF system it became second nature

the 5d3 is even better.... I've set it up so the AF points show until AF is achieved, then disappear. so I get the red flash, the vanishing points and the dot in the viewfinder.

I think some folks may be so used to the old 9 point system.... work with this one for a bit, customize it and see how it feels to you after a while

Apr 15, 2012 at 05:56 PM
pompo
• • •
p.8 #13 · p.8 #13 · 5D mark III "Stock Delayed"

jfulton wrote:
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer?pageKeyCode=prdAdvDetail&docId=0901e02480538fc7&WT.mc_id=C126149

I wonder if they'll quietly address the AF point illumination/non illumination frustrations of current users. Out of everything mentioned, that's what concerns me the most. I shoot weddings and bar mitzvahs and moments happen fast. I need to know that the AF point is exactly where I intended it to be when I fire the shutter in low light and bright light. No time for doubt and second checks when the moment is fleeting.

+1 EXACTLY!

Apr 15, 2012 at 08:44 PM
pompo
• • •
p.8 #14 · p.8 #14 · 5D mark III "Stock Delayed"

Pixel Perfect wrote:
The usual suspects are engineers that probably have only ever held a camera in their hands, but never shot one or just run simulations all day. It reminds me of the situation at Hyundai, where its suspension engineers are mostly 20 something guys that admit they don't actually drive (ever driven a Hyundai, it really shows). I would suspect a similar scenario with the camera division. They may get input from real photographers but I'm sure that ranks low down the list when they are ticking the boxes.

Apr 15, 2012 at 08:45 PM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.8 #15 · p.8 #15 · 5D mark III "Stock Delayed"

As a prospective 1DX buyer I'm hoping to hell it doesn't have the batch variation that the 5D3 seems to have. Bring back the multicolored dots!

Apr 15, 2012 at 11:01 PM
elfanucchi
• •
p.8 #16 · p.8 #16 · 5D mark III "Stock Delayed"

The 5D MKIII being too close to 1D X is not a 5D MKIII problem ...
It is a 1D X and Canon problem ...

Apr 16, 2012 at 08:17 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.8 #17 · p.8 #17 · 5D mark III "Stock Delayed"

It looks like Canon has decided to stop shipping new 5D Mark III's (to Canada, at least) while they try to sort out the problems...

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-11676-12517

Apr 16, 2012 at 09:14 AM
JimmyJames
• • •
p.8 #18 · p.8 #18 · 5D mark III "Stock Delayed"

I ordered one from Adorama during their Passover closing. It was boxed yesterday and I was sent the initial tracking information. No sign of them not loading it on the truck today.

Apr 16, 2012 at 11:02 AM
cineski
• • • •
p.8 #19 · p.8 #19 · 5D mark III "Stock Delayed"

I photographed a big party on Saturday with the 5D3. The focus point is so completely worthless it actually had an effect on my photography. The party was loud so I couldn't hear focus beep confirmation and the illumination was worthless in party lighting. It was very difficult and I had to constantly zoom in (with the misplaced zoom button) to see if I was locking focus or not. Luckily I was but the focus screen is completely unacceptable for a pro level camera. Spoke with a friend of mine who shot his first wedding with the 5D3. He is so freaked out at the worthlessness of the focus confirmation system that he's actually considering returning the camera despite it's other great performance.

Image quality is outstanding except for the hot pixel issue I have. Still showed up in the lower right corner.

Apr 16, 2012 at 11:04 AM
timbop
• • • • •
p.8 #20 · p.8 #20 · 5D mark III "Stock Delayed"

I dunno - I've had a 7d since they came out, and have never had a problem shooting weddings. I just select the AF point I want before hand and just fully depress the shutter. In oneShot mode (which I assume you are using since you're waiting for a beep) with AF on the shutter button the shutter trips once AF is achieved. It's actually pretty simple, and the reason I have never used the * button for AF.

Apr 16, 2012 at 11:22 AM
       9       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

9       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.