Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              5      
       7       8       9       end

Archive 2012 · 5D mark III "Stock Delayed"

WilliamG
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #1 · 5D mark III "Stock Delayed"

michael49 wrote:
Agreed.

I think that every American (and those in other developed countries for that matter) should spend a year in a 3rd world country. It might help them to develop a more appropriate perspective on what to be "outraged" about.

I've never, ever liked that comparison. According to that logic, we should never be able to complain about anything because someone, somewhere, is struggling. Madness.

Apr 13, 2012 at 03:36 PM
iammikie
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #2 · 5D mark III "Stock Delayed"

60 second hot pixel fix: (and yes it works)
http://www.naturescapes.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=173769

I have been using the 5D3's (I have two) on my 800/5.6 without issue so I guess that it is not a universal problem with that lens/body combination, but needs to be addressed by Canon for sure.

As far as a new body not needing a firmware/software fix and perfection "right out of the box", get real. All of the bodies in the past years have had updates, Canon, Nikon, and others. It is a huge advantage to be able to easily update the body without having to send it in. If you do not have an internet connection public libraries do so that is not much of an issue in my eyes.

Apr 13, 2012 at 03:51 PM
DmitriM
• • •
p.6 #3 · 5D mark III "Stock Delayed"

I've been shooting quite a bit with 2 of my mIII and there are issues...
I've exchanged emails with Chuck Westfall and had a phone conversation with Canon about some of them.

Current issues:

1. Can't see the black focusing point at night.
2. Can't see red AF confirmation during the day
3. AF sometimes just "hangs up" and it takes a few seconds to achieve focus during a perfect lighting situation. At that time, the black AF point would disappear from the viewfinder.
4. It may just be me,but sometimes when I take 2-3 RAW shots, they are writing twice as long on a card than 5DII used to.

First 3 are really big issues. A lot of hassle to shoot with the cameras.
Don't get me wrong, I don't want to switch back to mII's...AF is just way too good,but just thinking about having to live with these issues for the next 4-5 years make me cringe

Anyone else experienced #3??

Apr 13, 2012 at 03:57 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.6 #4 · 5D mark III "Stock Delayed"

Dmitri,
In dark shooting condition, the AF point is visible as LED light, right? You touch on the AF/shutter button and the light is on. It is lit with each movement of the AF point as you select that with the "joystick" or any other method available. And it will be lit on again to confirm AF in a single shot mode. OK, the red LED is not readily visible to confirm the AF status during the day under very bright conditions, that's true but in AI Servo, it will not be lit anyway. Maybe because I rely a lot, well, most of the time on the AI Servo mode that doesn't facilitate any confirming light to be lit and as such, that doesn't bother me at all. Relying on AI Servo using any AF point is something that I would not be able to do using the 5D Mark II, that's a 1D series caliber AF. But I understand your point and your shooting style is different than mine.

I agree, your 3rd point is for my taste the most bothersome. I have not seen anything like that with my camera. Not even a single time and knock, knock, knock. It has been very responsive and zippy. By the way it sounds, that is again, more an isolated case. Of course, that notion will be shot down if both your cameras do the same. Does it happen with both? If not, I would return the camera that hangs up, AF-wise. For all we know, the same camera is the one that gives you CF writing issue as described in your 4th point.

Apr 13, 2012 at 04:12 PM
DmitriM
• • •
p.6 #5 · 5D mark III "Stock Delayed"

AGeoJO wrote:
Dmitri,
In dark shooting condition, the AF point is visible as LED light, right? You touch on the AF button and the light is on. And it will be on again to confirm AF in a single shot mode. OK, the red LED is not readily visible to confirm the AF status during the day under very bright conditions, that's true but in AI Servo, it will not be lit anyway. Maybe because I rely a lot, well, most of the time on the AI Servo mode that doesn't facilitate any confirming light to be lit and as such, that doesn't
...Show more

The red confirmation DOES NOT light up unless the focus is achieved so at night/evening/you can't see where you are focusing unless you press an additional button at the back to illuminate the screen and find the focusing point. Even when it's not too dark,but you focus on the black spot, you won't see the AF point as it's also dark.

That's not acceptable for a wide range of photographers who don't have time to be pressing extra buttons to focus.

Both cameras experience the same issue.

#1 and 2 are like going back in time with the technology. They released a focusing system that is far inferior to all the DSLRs they've produced until now.

Apr 13, 2012 at 04:51 PM
RCicala
• • • •
p.6 #6 · 5D mark III "Stock Delayed"

First, this is not inside knowledge, I don't know anything from Canon. Nothing. But here goes:

I just got 3 new 5D IIIs this morning. Compared to the 90 some odd previous ones, the new ones all have a much thicker, stiffer plastic cover on the TOP (not main) LCD with a slightly larger black border. On all of the previous cameras the top LCD cover was thin enough that if you pressed on it firmly it would touch the LCD (apparent because the LCD under your finger would turn black for a second). The new cover is much stiffer and you can't press hard enough to touch the LCD screen.

I can't say this is the change that's being made, but these recent camera came direct from Canon so it's certainly possible. And it's also possible that this simply means Canon used up all of their first supply of top LCD covers and the second is just slightly different for no real reason.

EDIT - see the post below. This may well just be random supplier variation.

Edited on Apr 13, 2012 at 05:55 PM · View previous versions

Apr 13, 2012 at 05:04 PM
cheem
• •
p.6 #7 · 5D mark III "Stock Delayed"

Roger, it is on the plastic that covers the top LCD that is different, correct? Or are we going to see a Rev.B for the RRS plates too as a result of a body shape change? D'Oh!!!

Apr 13, 2012 at 05:08 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.6 #8 · 5D mark III "Stock Delayed"

DmitriM wrote:
The red confirmation DOES NOT light up unless the focus is achieved so at night/evening/you can't see where you are focusing unless you press an additional button at the back to illuminate the screen and find the focusing point. Even when it's not too dark,but you focus on the black spot, you won't see the AF point as it's also dark.

That's not acceptable for a wide range of photographers who don't have time to be pressing extra buttons to focus.

You have to push the shutter button to get the exposure and you compose your image. At the same time (depending on how you setup the camera), you get the AF point lit up and you are free to recompose or change the AF point depending on your need with a lit AF point. If your target is too dark and there is not enough contrast, then the AF will have a tough time. But why do you want to focus on that target anyway. You are an accomplished photographer and I saw your pictures. I respect you opinion if you think that it is an extra step but I don't see it that way and still don't quite understand your issue. You have to push a button to get the AF and to get the exposure value right.

DmitriM wrote:
Both cameras experience the same issue.

Is that valid also for point 3 of your previous post or is that pretty much only for the first 2 points? You are not quite clear in stating that.

DmitriM wrote:
#1 and 2 are like going back in time with the technology. They released a focusing system that is far inferior to all the DSLRs they've produced until now.

That is for sure not true. I inclined to say that it is the best AF system short of the 1D series or 1D IV to be exact. If you say that the display of the AF system is not quite there, then I will have and show more understanding.

Edited on Apr 13, 2012 at 05:30 PM · View previous versions

Apr 13, 2012 at 05:17 PM
Todd Klassy
• •
p.6 #9 · 5D mark III "Stock Delayed"

RCicala wrote:
I can't say this is the change that's being made, but these recent camera came direct from Canon so it's certainly possible. And it's also possible that this simply means Canon used up all of their first supply of top LCD covers and the second is just slightly different for no real reason.

It would be interesting if you could test one of them to see if you can duplicate the situation where the 5D Mark III meters differently when you turn the LCD light on.

Apr 13, 2012 at 05:30 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.6 #10 · 5D mark III "Stock Delayed"

Roger, your finding is very interesting. I just checked mine, which is an early copy. The LCD cover seems to be sturdy and it doesn't turn black even if I apply sufficient pressure. If that's the issue then there could be a vendor related issue and batch dependent. It would be hard for Canon to figure out which is which and it would be a good idea in their mind to temporarily stop the delivery. Just thinking out loud here, of course.

Apr 13, 2012 at 05:31 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

iammikie
• •
p.6 #11 · 5D mark III "Stock Delayed"

RCicala wrote:
First, this is not inside knowledge, I don't know anything from Canon. Nothing. But here goes:

I just got 3 new 5D IIIs this morning. Compared to the 90 some odd previous ones, the new ones all have a much thicker, stiffer plastic cover on the TOP (not main) LCD with a slightly larger black border. On all of the previous cameras the top LCD cover was thin enough that if you pressed on it firmly it would touch the LCD (apparent because the LCD under your finger would turn black for a second). The new cover is much stiffer and
...Show more

Roger:
I have had my two since 3/20 and the top LCD is very rigid with a wide black border. Each was from a different vendor but serial numbers are close.

Apr 13, 2012 at 05:32 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.6 #12 · 5D mark III "Stock Delayed"

Although its not ideal, just touch the AF point selection button with your right thumb, and the selected point(s) light up day or night.

I know both you and I want them to stay on, but at least there is a work around and its quick and easy.

Apr 13, 2012 at 05:33 PM
cineski
• • • •
p.6 #13 · 5D mark III "Stock Delayed"

Completely agree. I'm just not going to re-map a 3 week old $3500 camera. Had it been 2 years old? Sure!

AGeoJO wrote:
If it is a hot pixel then it can be remapped but you are right, it is better to get another body while it is still covered under warranty. I am not down playing the issue but my point is, yours seems to be an isolated case.

Apr 13, 2012 at 05:33 PM
4x4rock
• • •
p.6 #14 · 5D mark III "Stock Delayed"

I just test mine too...very rigid and does not flex when press. I got it last Friday.

Apr 13, 2012 at 05:37 PM
DmitriM
• • •
p.6 #15 · 5D mark III "Stock Delayed"

scalesusa wrote:
Although its not ideal, just touch the AF point selection button with your right thumb, and the selected point(s) light up day or night.

I know both you and I want them to stay on, but at least there is a work around and its quick and easy.

It's not quick nor it is easy. If I was shooting portraits or my dogs,then perhaps. If you are shooting in extreme fast changing conditions then it's a hassle.

Bottom line, why do I have to go do a 2nd step?! It's a new camera and it should've been fixed from the the start. I don't want to get used to a new stupid system of shooting that is only being used on 1 camera.

Apr 13, 2012 at 05:40 PM
RCicala
• • • •
p.6 #16 · 5D mark III "Stock Delayed"

cheem wrote:
Roger, it is on the plastic that covers the top LCD that is different, correct? Or are we going to see a Rev.B for the RRS plates too as a result of a body shape change? D'Oh!!!

The plastic cover slip, that's correct.

Sounds from the other response like maybe our early ones were the outlier and these are just what everyone else has been getting.

Edited on Apr 13, 2012 at 05:47 PM · View previous versions

Apr 13, 2012 at 05:45 PM
dsouzl
• • •
p.6 #17 · 5D mark III "Stock Delayed"

I couldn't agree more Dimitri.

I've shot 2 weddings with my 5D3's and have lost a few shots because the focus point wasn't where I thought it was. The only work around is to press the focus point select button to get them all to light up...and then take the shot.

This wasn't an issue with the MkII's so I'm sure a firmware fix will be along shortly.

Apr 13, 2012 at 05:46 PM
cineski
• • • •
p.6 #18 · 5D mark III "Stock Delayed"

I completely agree with Dmitri. For real world pro photography, you cannot do extra steps for auto focus. Wether shooting sports, weddings, portraits OR dogs ;-). It's just counter intuitive and a complete step backwards. Ironic that the auto focus on the 5D3 is the most accurate I've used but also a complete hassle to use. And shooting in very dark conditions, the entire screen flashes red when focus is confirmed. Why on earth this was thought of as a good design is bewildering.

Apr 13, 2012 at 05:48 PM
cineski
• • • •
p.6 #19 · 5D mark III "Stock Delayed"

It's partly a firmware fix. I don't know how they could fix the confirmation light issue without a hardware fix.

dsouzl wrote:
I couldn't agree more Dimitri.

I've shot 2 weddings with my 5D3's and have lost a few shots because the focus point wasn't where I thought it was. The only work around is to press the focus point select button to get them all to light up...and then take the shot.

This wasn't an issue with the MkII's so I'm sure a firmware fix will be along shortly.

Apr 13, 2012 at 05:49 PM
RCicala
• • • •
p.6 #20 · 5D mark III "Stock Delayed"

I actually sent some people back to the dock and unpacked 4 older copies of the 5D III (we didn't have any older copies on the shelf) of the 4 two had the 'flexible' LCD covers and two the stiff, so this may just be random supplier variation.

Apr 13, 2012 at 05:54 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password