Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       6              8       9       end

Archive 2012 · 5D mark III "Stock Delayed"

MarkoB
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #1 · 5D mark III "Stock Delayed"

The explanation that makes most sense is that they have to mess the AF since they can not make a better one on 1D X .

Apr 13, 2012 at 11:11 AM
arbitrage
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #2 · 5D mark III "Stock Delayed"

DocsPics wrote:
Self portrait a couple of days ago . Doubt Canon can fix this

Cool, was this was done with multiple exposure mode? Which option did you use for this?

Apr 13, 2012 at 11:42 AM
DocsPics
• • • •
p.5 #3 · 5D mark III "Stock Delayed"

Took the shot looking into a sculpture made of mirror pieces (downtown Charlotte, NC)

Apr 13, 2012 at 12:00 PM
paregorike
• • •
p.5 #4 · 5D mark III "Stock Delayed"

Peel the 5D III from my cold dead hands....

Apr 13, 2012 at 12:16 PM
RCicala
• • • •
p.5 #5 · 5D mark III "Stock Delayed"

I'll admit I'm as bad as anyone (probably worse than most) at loving me some brand-new, just released gear. And I'm always aware that that there's an inevitable early-adapter penalty that must be payed (see http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2011/01/stuff-i-wish-id-never-bought Rule # 3: don't be an early adapter).

No question there are some issues with the 5DIII, like with any new camera, but we're up to 100 copies rented out already and it's really been fairly trouble free. We brace ourselves for increased problems and complaints when new cameras start renting, and we're just not getting any with the 5D III (or the D800 for that matter).

We had far, far more problem reports when the 7D was released than we're getting with the 5D III (perhaps because of a different level of photographer using them, but still it's impressive). Back in the day when the 1DIII first came out we had over a 50% complaint rate. The 5D III, at least so far, has been virtually complaint free - except at first when people complained they couldn't extend the rental and keep the camera longer because our stock was so tight.

Apr 13, 2012 at 12:46 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.5 #6 · 5D mark III "Stock Delayed"

I have used the camera quite a bit since the first day I received it on March 22. I wouldn't say that I tried all functions but all the functions I tried so far have worked flawlessly.

We realized that the loud noise coming from the IS of only those two lenses. There is also still a possibility that the IS system of those lenses is not 100% compatible with the 5D Mark III and not with the camera itself. Whatever it is, Canon is serious about this and, for my taste, is taking the right step by trying to get to the bottom of this. For sure it is tetter than denying the issue. I believe that Canon is still currently looking into this matter and since they are not quite sure yet, it would be a good idea to temporarily stop the delivery of the 5D Mark III. Yes, the word "recall" used previously is a tad too harsh.

Apr 13, 2012 at 12:52 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.5 #7 · 5D mark III "Stock Delayed"

DocsPics wrote:
Self portrait a couple of days ago . Doubt Canon can fix this

So do I . Gary, it would appear that you'd need a good cosmetic/plastic surgeon.

Apr 13, 2012 at 01:09 PM
Bones74
• • •
p.5 #8 · 5D mark III "Stock Delayed"

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
1 . inform the stores to take the customers details. and any new software disks could be forwared on when available.
2. Inform the stores that if a firmware upgrade is needed they will be contacted , and full instructions given (which they are anyway). I doubt stores would want to go down the route of offreing to F/W upgrade for customers. If it went wrong for any reason then your into the liability thing. (Unless Canon want to cover that)

Good call Guess you always have to with "The lowest common denominator", aka new user. Its annoying though, means I wont have my camera for some time yet

Apr 13, 2012 at 01:32 PM
mark fadely
• • • • •
p.5 #9 · 5D mark III "Stock Delayed"

Hey guys, I think mine has that "light leak" problem. Have you guys taken your lens caps off yet?

Apr 13, 2012 at 01:40 PM
cheem
• •
p.5 #10 · 5D mark III "Stock Delayed"

mark fadely wrote:
Hey guys, I think mine has that "light leak" problem. Have you guys taken your lens caps off yet?

http://fadely.smugmug.com/photos/i-F6RktMt/0/XL/i-F6RktMt-XL.jpg

Looks like the 5D Mk.III Rangefinder

Apr 13, 2012 at 01:47 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

cineski
• • • •
p.5 #11 · 5D mark III "Stock Delayed"

For the record, I've been using my 5D3 for a few weeks now. The camera is fantastic, however I'm returning it for a new one because after 1 hour of shooting, I get a bright red pixel in the bottom right corner of the sensor (only with RAW files). Profeel is being great about it but I'm waiting to find out about stock next week when they get updates. I spoke with Canon about this matter and.....no joke......they said it was normal for red pixels to show up after prolonged (hour long) shooting. I couldn't believe they would say that. I spoke to CPS and they wanted the camera back for a fix. I'd rather just get a new one since I've had if for a few weeks and I'm already having a few issues.

Seriously, the camera is absolutely fantastic with a very few but very major flaws. I really really hope the focus confirmation light is in the mix of things being fixed because it's simply that bad and useless in all light levels and a faster SD slot (is that firmware fixable?) and further controls customization via firmare. Regardless, if it were a firmware or software issue, Canon would not have requested the cameras back. It is a hardware issue. Even if it were a DPP issue, Canon would mail a correct DVD to the resellers to include with the camera and a firmware fix....who said Canon would be worried about users?! Really? There's firmware fixes all the time. Bodies back to manufacturer = hardware issue. They simply wouldn't want to pay for shipping both ways unless they actually needed the body for some reason.

Apr 13, 2012 at 02:14 PM
cheem
• •
p.5 #12 · 5D mark III "Stock Delayed"

cineski wrote:
I get a bright red pixel in the bottom right corner of the sensor (only with RAW files). Profeel is being great about it but I'm waiting to find out about stock next week when they get updates. I spoke with Canon about this matter and.....no joke......they said it was normal for red pixels to show up after prolonged (hour long) shooting. I couldn't believe they would say that. I spoke to CPS and they wanted the camera back for a fix.

I read somewhere in the manual about red warnings if the camera gets too hot shooting video, is this what you are experiencing?

Apr 13, 2012 at 02:59 PM
cineski
• • • •
p.5 #13 · 5D mark III "Stock Delayed"

Cheem, as written, bright red pixel showing up in the RAW files.

Apr 13, 2012 at 03:00 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.5 #14 · 5D mark III "Stock Delayed"

On long exposure shots only or it is there on every image in RAW? It is not hot pixel, is it? Again, I am not sure here...

Apr 13, 2012 at 03:04 PM
cineski
• • • •
p.5 #15 · 5D mark III "Stock Delayed"

Normal hand-held shooting shutter speeds. It's a hot pixel. Only shows up after 50 minutes of shooting but shows up in every shot. I'm shooting a gig this morning so I'll see if it does it again but regardless it's going back for a new one.

Apr 13, 2012 at 03:07 PM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
p.5 #16 · 5D mark III "Stock Delayed"

Wahoowa wrote:
I agree with some of the above comments that, even though it may be a minor tweak, the camera should work right out of the box. It shouldn't require buyer to do any firmware & software update. If Canon does that, it mean they assume buyers have time and Internet connection to do so. And that will upset a lot of customers.

It does work right out of the box.

I also think it's safe to assume that if someone owns a 200/2 IS or 800/5.6 IS, they also have access to an internet connection.

You really have to try hard to be outraged at them for this. A firmware fix for problems within a week of finding out about it is pretty darned good for any company.

Apr 13, 2012 at 03:08 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.5 #17 · 5D mark III "Stock Delayed"

cineski wrote:
Normal hand-held shooting shutter speeds. It's a hot pixel. Only shows up after 50 minutes of shooting but shows up in every shot. I'm shooting a gig this morning so I'll see if it does it again but regardless it's going back for a new one.

If it is a hot pixel then it can be remapped but you are right, it is better to get another body while it is still covered under warranty. I am not down playing the issue but my point is, yours seems to be an isolated case.

Apr 13, 2012 at 03:13 PM
elader
• • • •
p.5 #18 · 5D mark III "Stock Delayed"

Ive shot about 1500 images with it - an event and a vacation. I had the lens connection fail at the event - wiped the contacts, didn't happen again. I also had the cam freeze once - pulled the battery. Shooting SD and CF.

No other issues - and I cant afford an 800 f/5.6

Apr 13, 2012 at 03:18 PM
michael49
• • • • •
p.5 #19 · 5D mark III "Stock Delayed"

deepbluejh wrote:
.....You really have to try hard to be outraged at them for this. A firmware fix for problems within a week of finding out about it is pretty darned good for any company.

Agreed.

I think that every American (and those in other developed countries for that matter) should spend a year in a 3rd world country. It might help them to develop a more appropriate perspective on what to be "outraged" about.

Apr 13, 2012 at 03:22 PM
newseum
• •
p.5 #20 · 5D mark III "Stock Delayed"

^ pretty heavy for a photography forum. Don't get me wrong. I agree with you. my time in the peace corp was something i think everyone should go through.

Apr 13, 2012 at 03:32 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password