Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              48      
       50              72       73       end

f/1.2 or faster lenses wide open

zhangyue
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.49 #1 · f/1.2 or faster lenses wide open

JaKo wrote:
OK Michael and how do you like it now? (still wondering why would you sell it in the first place!)

I would take it for a day or two of evening/really low light shooting (well, you had this lens so you know better already) and post your good takes. You know, similar experience to a first date with an ex-girlfriend

After a short use, it is also remind me why we broke up ? I keep turning focus the wrong way, that cause missing the shot. One thing love it so much is having auto aperture back so I can get some f2.8 shot so easy.
F1.2

f2

For a f1.2 comparison. So I guess it is still follow the rule of this thread. I almost always use it either f1.2 and after f5.6 within first marriage with it. I am sure I will use it at f2, f2.8 a lot, just for that gained auto aperture It is very sharp at f2.

Rokkor with 6D f1.2

Edited on Oct 04, 2013 at 05:30 AM · View previous versions

Oct 04, 2013 at 04:20 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.49 #2 · f/1.2 or faster lenses wide open

so wait, are you shooting nikon and canon cameras now michael? or did you switch back to nikon?

Oct 04, 2013 at 04:29 AM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.49 #3 · f/1.2 or faster lenses wide open

I shoot both for about 4 month and Just sold 6d. I have decide to stay with nikon for a while.

Seriously, D700 is still a perfect camera to my everyday use. It is the only camera having the professional build with its size. D800/600, A99, 5d123, 6d Nothing touch it. Holding it make me feel back home.

I might get a d800 or wait for Sony.

Buying back 50ais is part of my determined future plan.

TBH, the more lens I used, the more I feel that lens difference really contribute very limited portion compare to image content and operator

sebboh wrote:
so wait, are you shooting nikon and canon cameras now michael? or did you switch back to nikon?

Oct 04, 2013 at 05:26 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.49 #4 · f/1.2 or faster lenses wide open

zhangyue wrote:
I shoot both for about 4 month and Just sold 6d. I have decide to stay with nikon for a while.

Seriously, D700 is still a perfect camera to my everyday use. It is the only camera having the professional build with its size. D800/600, A99, 5d123, 6d Nothing touch it. Holding it make me feel back home.

I might get a d800 or wait for Sony.

Buying back 50ais is part of my determined future plan.

i really liked the d700 as a camera too, but it was to big for me to use regularly. do you still have your rokkor and have you contemplated converting it to nikon? i'm still curious about a comparison between it and the nikon(s). also, does this mean you're leitaxing all those leica R lenses?

Oct 04, 2013 at 06:12 AM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.49 #5 · f/1.2 or faster lenses wide open

sebboh wrote:
do you still have your rokkor and have you contemplated converting it to nikon?

Can I?

D700 pair with 35/80 lux are very handsome, and they are like saying:

"don't mess up with us, we are doing serious business"

I will get more Leitax, I have contacted DAG about conversion without damage Rom for the zoom, but don;t know yet if I should just sell the zoom.

Another Rokkor at f1.2 with 6D

Oct 04, 2013 at 07:00 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.49 #6 · f/1.2 or faster lenses wide open

zhangyue wrote:
Can I?

yes, the conversion is just like the conversion to sony alpha, but i'm told there is a mirror collision a little before infinity on the d700 but up to 10m is fine. sadly the live view work around that canon has doesn't work for the d700 (my biggest complaint about the camera other than size).

a couple shots from the rokkor on a nex:

Oct 04, 2013 at 07:15 AM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.49 #7 · f/1.2 or faster lenses wide open

Thanks for the info. Who can do that or where I can find the info, I don;t see the Rokkor>Nikkor conversion kit in Leitax website.

Oct 04, 2013 at 05:08 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.49 #8 · f/1.2 or faster lenses wide open

zhangyue wrote:
Thanks for the info. Who can do that or where I can find the info, I don;t see the Rokkor>Nikkor conversion kit in Leitax website.

yeah, there's no kit so you need to buy an m42 to F-mount adapter and get a spacer made. the spacer is basically just a ring that could be done by any machinist or probably 3d printed (I can give you measurements if you want to go that route). somebody like Jim Buchanan who regularly does mount conversions could probably do the whole conversion for you as well.

Oct 04, 2013 at 05:33 PM
JaKo
• • •
p.49 #9 · f/1.2 or faster lenses wide open

sebboh wrote:
yeah, there's no kit so you need to buy an m42 to F-mount adapter and get a spacer made. the spacer is basically just a ring that could be done by any machinist or probably 3d printed (I can give you measurements if you want to go that route). somebody like Jim Buchanan who regularly does mount conversions could probably do the whole conversion for you as well.

Michael, let me know what you find as I would be interested in such conversion kit as well.
If not, NEX FF, which I may get anyway, may be the solution.

Oct 04, 2013 at 06:35 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.49 #10 · f/1.2 or faster lenses wide open

JaKo wrote:
Michael, let me know what you find as I would be interested in such conversion kit as well.
If not, NEX FF, which I may get anyway, may be the solution.

Will do. It is not on the top of to do list yet myself also wait for that mystery SONY. But I am sure it is another toy I may not need and I already know for sure it can't replace either D700 or M

Oct 04, 2013 at 06:43 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

naturephoto1
• • •
p.49 #11 · f/1.2 or faster lenses wide open

zhangyue wrote:
Will do. It is not on the top of to do list yet myself also wait for that mystery SONY. But I am sure it is another toy I may not need and I already know for sure it can't replace either D700 or M

Michael,

I don't know about that unless you are using your M lenses for rangefinder usage (and if the new Sony FF E-mount cameras will not play nicely with the WA Leica M lenses).

I anticipate either the Sony A7r or one of the even more advanced Sony FF E-mount cameras that will follow will become my main digital camera. I will just have to accept not quite as fast tracking (though with MF) of a camera with an optical finder. I would then have my Fujifilm X-E1 as my second body. I do not want to change my lens mounts of my Leica R lenses and I like the idea of using at least some M mount lenses on the mirrorless FF cameras something not possible with any other FF digital cameras with the exception of the Leica M, M9, M9P, or the MM.

Rich

Oct 04, 2013 at 06:52 PM
redisburning
• • •
Account locked
p.49 #12 · f/1.2 or faster lenses wide open

this F mount conversion for the Rokkor, would I be able to use it with an F3?

I would rebuy one within seconds if I could.

btw Michael, while you're working out future photo plans I think you should come shoot LF with me. We'll get some barrel lenses and shoot a lot of Portra. It would be wicked sick.

oh yeah, a photograph:

Untitled by redisburning, on Flickr

Zuiko 55/1.2

Oct 04, 2013 at 07:34 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.49 #13 · f/1.2 or faster lenses wide open

redisburning wrote:
this F mount conversion for the Rokkor, would I be able to use it with an F3?

i don't see why not. not sure how metering works with the F3 though, you might be shooting in manual mode without a functional meter.

Oct 04, 2013 at 07:57 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.49 #14 · f/1.2 or faster lenses wide open

redisburning wrote:
btw Michael, while you're working out future photo plans I think you should come shoot LF with me.

not sure about LF, but contax 645 is never leave my mind. one day, one day....

Oct 04, 2013 at 09:10 PM
Tarocco
• •
p.49 #15 · f/1.2 or faster lenses wide open

Here's a few wide open portraits with the Zuiko 50 1.2. Just when I think this lens isn't worth the trouble...

Oct 05, 2013 at 05:41 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.49 #16 · f/1.2 or faster lenses wide open

Tarocco wrote:
Here's a few wide open portraits with the Zuiko 50 1.2. Just when I think this lens isn't worth the trouble...

fantastic shots! what trouble?

Oct 06, 2013 at 04:44 AM
Tarocco
• •
p.49 #17 · f/1.2 or faster lenses wide open

sebboh wrote:
fantastic shots! what trouble?

Nothing really specific to this lens but just the usual challenges with shooting a legacy f1.2 50mm gets frustrating sometimes. Lots of chromatic aberration wide open and it really needs just the right light. I've also never had much luck with critical sharpness at focal points past about 6 feet. I have a late Zuiko 50 1.4 that is much more forgiving wide open so it's hard to justify that extra half a stop sometimes. No one shows their failures in this thread and I have many! But of course there's a look only a 50 1.2 gets you and there really is no substitute. The Zuiko might be harder to work with due to compromises in optical quality to keep it small - it's amazingly tiny for such a fast SLR lens.

Couple more shots:

Edited on Oct 07, 2013 at 04:36 PM · View previous versions

Oct 06, 2013 at 05:08 AM
the solitaire
• • •
p.49 #18 · f/1.2 or faster lenses wide open

Failures? I can do that

If you are looking for the look only an f1.2 can produce, there it is. I missed focus by a hair though. Ok, missed focus by a good 2 ft

Nikon 55 f1.2 S.C AiŽd on Nikon D300
Aperture f1.2
shutter speed 1/500th
ISO speed 400

Oct 06, 2013 at 02:07 PM
joanlvh
• • •
p.49 #19 · f/1.2 or faster lenses wide open

Pen F 42mm

Oct 06, 2013 at 10:39 PM
Sneakyracer