Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Singh-Ray Vari N Duo Filter

widbays

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Singh-Ray Vari N Duo Filter

Hello..there,

Iím in the market for ND filter, as I surfed through the web, I found that Singh-Ray Vari N Duo really catch my attention which I thought it would be convenience enough to have two different purpose filters on one barrel.

Since I never stack two different filters on one lens, I would like to have some feedback or personal experiences from those of you who have been using this particular filter. Therefore, I have few questions that I need to ask, first, does this filter dedicated for waterfall scenery or seascape photo only? Since thereís a polarizer glass mounting on this filter, can I use it to shoot portrait, cityscape or buildings, and general landscape photos? Lastly, will it decrease the IQ if I shoot other than water?

There are two types of ring for this particular filter, regular and thin mounting ring. Since I will using this filter on 24-70/f2.8L mounting on 5D II, which types of ring do you think that wonít generate vignetting on wide focal length?

Thank you for your opinion and feedback....

Apr 12, 2012 at 04:25 AM
timstree

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Singh-Ray Vari N Duo Filter

I can answer part of the last question.

I recently purchased a 77mm thin mount Singh-Ray filter from B&H. There is no thread on the front of the filter so you can't use normal lens cap. If you need to cap this lens, then you need to order a Kasier 80mm push-on lens cap. B&H part #KALC80. $12 for a cap like they give away on pet food cans. Of course the free ones are the wrong size

I've yet to use this filter in anger yet so can not offer any insight into it's performance.

Another great gaget from B&H is a GD77mm filter stack cap, Part No GBSC 77 for a 77 mm filter. This consists of 2 hard alloy covers that screw onto the front and back of a stack of filters and provide great protection. This means no more of those plastic filter boxes that allways seem to get broken.

Cheers

Tim in Aus

Apr 12, 2012 at 07:33 AM
Mike Ganz
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Singh-Ray Vari N Duo Filter

I use the Vari-N-Duo on occasion for my landscape shooting...great filter, and excellent IQ...pretty much typical of what you'd expect from Singh-Ray. It is a thick filter, however, so vignetting will be an issue depending on your focal length. I originally bought the standard mount, but due to the heavy vignetting (up to 35mm on a FF body), I sent it back to be converted to a thin mount. The vignetting was much improved, but you'll still get some vignetting (up to 24mm) on a FF body.

As with all variable filters, there's also the x-pattern artifact that will rear its ugly head when shooting wide with the filter set to a very strong density (up to 35mm on a FF body)...the fix is to either change your focal length (composition allowing) or reduce the amount of density that you have dialed in.

Apr 12, 2012 at 11:19 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password