Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines
  

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       3       end
  

Archive 2012 · SoCal Whimbrel
  
 
KCollett
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · SoCal Whimbrel


I would never have guessed that the area around LA had so many great areas for bird life. The shooting opportunities abound, and some of the scenery in the midst of urban areas is quite nice. The pictures below were taken at Crystal Cove State Park. That stretch of beach provided me with a full day of exploring and photo ops. Wish I could have taken better advantage of them, and I would certainly visit this park again next time I'm in the area.

Shot handheld with a 7D and 400mm f5.6.

1. Whimbrel - One of the challenges I found in shooting at this location was that the subjects were pretty much always between me and the sun. I guess earlier and later in the day might be better. Aside from flash, how do you beach frequenters deal with brightly backlit birds?







2. Whimbrel Silhouette - I wish I was a bit lower in order to reduce the area of in-focus water behind the bird, but overall I like the effect I was getting. To get the shot, I had to wait for a bigger wave set. The spectral highlights in the foreground were from when the water receded back down the beach.







I would appreciate your comments, good or evil (ok, maybe not evil, but constructive is acceptable).



Apr 12, 2012 at 02:38 AM
surfnron
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · SoCal Whimbrel


It's the first for me Ken ~ Ron


Apr 12, 2012 at 03:12 AM
DonGut
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · SoCal Whimbrel


Lovely image in #1. That is a weird effect in #2, but very appealling as well. Don


Apr 12, 2012 at 04:11 AM
Conrad Tan
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · SoCal Whimbrel


I actually like #2 very much!


Apr 12, 2012 at 04:51 AM
ashley138
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · SoCal Whimbrel


I like both shots - 1 looks great to me as far as exposure. so it seems you're dealing with backlighting just fine. I always use Manual mode for a backlit shot, and some flash if I have it with me. I looked for this bird while I was living in WA and never did see one. Nice work.


Apr 12, 2012 at 08:00 AM
PaulCal
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · SoCal Whimbrel


First for me as well, nicely done
Paul



Apr 12, 2012 at 12:12 PM
trailhiker
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · SoCal Whimbrel


Yep, there's lots of pockets of nature here in So Cal, Ken, more than most folks -- even those who live here -- are aware of. And birds, of course, don't care if the greenery is in Compton, or bordering a freeway (Hepatic Tanager and Scissor-tailed Flycatcher, respectively), they'll go where the food is! And you're right about early morning and evening being the best times/possibilities for getting the sun at your back. For dealing with backlit birds, as with the recent GHO fledgling, I shoot in RAW, underexpose the bird, then re-adjust things in DPP RAW software,using Tone Curve Assist and RAW brightness adjustment, to where you can see the bird's details yet still have highlight control around the flared edges. It's a bit tricky, but it works well enough for me...

Nice shooting!

Best Wishes,
Steve



Apr 12, 2012 at 12:24 PM
chupacabra31
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · SoCal Whimbrel


2 is a great shot, but I have one minor knit. For me the silhouette should be sharp against that background. Right now it looks like the background is the focal point.


Apr 12, 2012 at 12:31 PM
KCollett
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · SoCal Whimbrel


surfnron wrote:
It's the first for me Ken ~ Ron


Thanks for taking a peek Ron.



Apr 12, 2012 at 12:36 PM
KCollett
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · SoCal Whimbrel


DonGut wrote:
Lovely image in #1. That is a weird effect in #2, but very appealling as well. Don


Thank you for the supportive comments Don. Yes, the edge effect on the bird is a bit weird. That was the first time I tried shooting directly into the sun with the 400.



Apr 12, 2012 at 12:38 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



KCollett
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · SoCal Whimbrel


Conrad Tan wrote:
I actually like #2 very much!


Thank you Conrad!



Apr 12, 2012 at 12:38 PM
KCollett
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · SoCal Whimbrel


ashley138 wrote:
I like both shots - 1 looks great to me as far as exposure. so it seems you're dealing with backlighting just fine. I always use Manual mode for a backlit shot, and some flash if I have it with me. I looked for this bird while I was living in WA and never did see one. Nice work.


Thank you for the comments Ashley. Much appreciated.



Apr 12, 2012 at 12:39 PM
KCollett
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · SoCal Whimbrel


PaulCal wrote:
First for me as well, nicely done
Paul


Thank you for stopping in and commenting Paul.



Apr 12, 2012 at 12:40 PM
morris
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · SoCal Whimbrel


I love both Ken.

Birds and people have much of the same needs and tend to move into the same areas.

Morris



Apr 12, 2012 at 12:40 PM
KCollett
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · SoCal Whimbrel


trailhiker wrote:
Yep, there's lots of pockets of nature here in So Cal, Ken, more than most folks -- even those who live here -- are aware of. And birds, of course, don't care if the greenery is in Compton, or bordering a freeway (Hepatic Tanager and Scissor-tailed Flycatcher, respectively), they'll go where the food is! And you're right about early morning and evening being the best times/possibilities for getting the sun at your back. For dealing with backlit birds, as with the recent GHO fledgling, I shoot in RAW, underexpose the bird, then re-adjust things in DPP RAW software,using Tone Curve
...Show more

Thanks for the comments and tips Steve. If I recall, I may well have applied something close to your technique on #1.



Apr 12, 2012 at 12:42 PM
KCollett
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · SoCal Whimbrel


chupacabra31 wrote:
2 is a great shot, but I have one minor knit. For me the silhouette should be sharp against that background. Right now it looks like the background is the focal point.


Thank you for the comments. I don't mind the soft edges, as in some respects as the surrounding highlights are a big part of the overall look. But the amount of in focus background is what I wish I could have eliminated/reduced. A lower angle would have helped to a degree. A crisp silhouette may have looked good too, but I don't have one for comparison unfortunately.



Apr 12, 2012 at 12:47 PM
KCollett
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · SoCal Whimbrel


morris wrote:
I love both Ken.

Birds and people have much of the same needs and tend to move into the same areas.

Morris


Many thanks for the kind words Morris.



Apr 12, 2012 at 12:49 PM
z06jim
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · SoCal Whimbrel


Nicely done Ken...like em' both.....


Apr 12, 2012 at 01:38 PM
redmule
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · SoCal Whimbrel


Cool shots Ken!!
Kevin



Apr 12, 2012 at 01:41 PM
kmunroe
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · SoCal Whimbrel


very nice Ken .. i like them both


Apr 12, 2012 at 03:25 PM
1
       2       3       end




FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       3       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password