New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Dell U2711 vs Apple Thunderbolt Display

kkn89
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Dell U2711 vs Apple Thunderbolt Display

I am planning to upgrade my monitor to one of these 27" screens.

I've been doing a lot of research between the Dell U2711 and the Apple Thunderbolt Display and I definitely understand the differences between the two.

Here's my list of pro's on each display.

U2711
- Wider gamut vs Apple Thunderbolt Display

Apple Thunderbolt Display
- Thunderbolt Technology
- Webcam/Mic
- Glass is easier to clean

Putting aside those differences, if you had to choose the display base on the glass screen or the matte screen what would you choose? Are their advantages of either one or is it just on personal preference?

Edited on Apr 14, 2012 at 12:04 PM · View previous versions

Apr 11, 2012 at 09:44 AM
matthewbmedia
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Dell U2711 vs Apple Thunderbolt Display

I have both. The Apple is Sharper - A combination of the LED and no-matte finish really plays a factor here, it's more than noticeable.

The Dell is more adjustable and wider gamut obviously. Do I need the wide gamut? Not really, I rarely print straight to a 16bit print path with a wide gamut printer -

And actually I print on pearl/lustre finish paper the most and find the accuracy of the glossy screen better for proofing non-matte prints.

Apr 11, 2012 at 08:13 PM
matthewbmedia
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Dell U2711 vs Apple Thunderbolt Display

...But out of those 2 options I actually prefer the u3011. The extra height is a bonus and the pixel pitch isn't so tiny -

Apr 11, 2012 at 08:13 PM
gpchase
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Dell U2711 vs Apple Thunderbolt Display

Apple hands down my preference...had both side by side and the matte screen on Dell was big deal breaker. i couldn't get myself to look past the screen plastic texture on the Dell despite the other nice features like swivel screen and connectivity..I just wish Apple would release a 30"

Apr 12, 2012 at 03:13 PM
WAYCOOL
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Dell U2711 vs Apple Thunderbolt Display

Are you sure your talking about a U2711? I see no plastic texture at all. I also don't see the glare from that mirror Apple sells a screen.

Apr 12, 2012 at 11:08 PM
R. Francois
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Dell U2711 vs Apple Thunderbolt Display

All about personal preference. @work my boss is a huge Apple fanboy so our desks are crowded with 27" thunderbolt displays. colleagues with non mac laptops lacking a displayport can't use them. I do have a macbook and the screen is very nice. The reflections aren't an issue if you can place the screen in a good spot (not with a window behind you).

At home i have 3 Dell U2711. I prefer those, just because they have a wider gamut. I know that when i print i will get an srgb image jpg bla bla. But it is really nice to see how much color the Dell can display. Images look very nice and vibrant.

So i switch between the Apple and the dell screens and both are fine. But for private use i prefer the Dell. On occassion i tend to play a videogame too and i believe that the dells a bit faster. (playing @ 7860x1440 gives quite an immersive gameplay) In my country the Dells are almost half the price of the Apple displays. So maybe that's an argument for you to consider too?

Best,

Raymond

p.s.: i voted for the dell

Apr 13, 2012 at 03:28 AM
Kittyk
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Dell U2711 vs Apple Thunderbolt Display

is this even a question? Of course dell

Apr 15, 2012 at 04:45 AM
shaunmlavery
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Dell U2711 vs Apple Thunderbolt Display

I have the U2711 and it's great. The only thing I don't like about it is, well, the looks. Shallow, maybe, but it looks like a spaceship and not in a good way. Not to mention the big DELL emblems on the front in rear contrasting silver.

I really like the matte though. It's just like my macbook pro. I waited to see what apples stance was on the glass after abandoning the older cinema displays. I'll just stick with this guy for a bit. Tons of connectivity and adjustment.

Apr 20, 2012 at 01:17 PM
matthewbmedia
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Dell U2711 vs Apple Thunderbolt Display

Side by side the apple is sharper, the benefits of not having the Matte coating the u2711 has. I've said it before and I'll say it again - the old adage of "glossy being bad for color accuracy" is not really true if you print with photo black ink...

Apr 20, 2012 at 06:04 PM
Mr.Konstantin
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Dell U2711 vs Apple Thunderbolt Display

Using U3011 here and love it's similar to U2711. Was afraid of the matte screen ever since using MBP 15" but its actually really nice and is same type used on NEC PA. In the end it comes down to your preference. Dell has a great amount of inputs and picture control and I love the dedicated sRGB mode. The screen is said to come precalibrated which is nice for someone without the puck but still make sure to calibrate it. Make sure to read this http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2711.htm review if you haven't.
Good luck!

Apr 22, 2012 at 07:44 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.