Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5              17       18       end

Archive 2012 · 5D III Camera Plate

stanj
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #1 · 5D III Camera Plate

Oops.

Apr 11, 2012 at 05:08 AM
chrisdee
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #2 · 5D III Camera Plate

Judging by the pictures of the L plate on the RRS website, it looks like the base has exactly the same profile (with the indentation) as the non-L plate. Probably still not good if you don't want marks on your camera in the long run, but RRS accepts returns no questions asked.

Or maybe they can provide a layer of rubber/cork to stick on the plate around the indentation, I know they do that for other plates or by request.

Apr 11, 2012 at 05:21 AM
jdben622
• • • •
p.4 #3 · 5D III Camera Plate

It has B5D3 etched into the bottom...definitely the right plate. I'm sure RRS wil get this sorted out. I don't expect them to "fix" all of the cameras...short of replacing the complete lower half there's nothing to fix. Also, the indentation in the body is annoying but not earth-shattering, so life goes on. Maybe a refund and a pro-bono replacement plate would be a nice gesture.

Apr 11, 2012 at 05:48 AM
Mike Tuomey
• • • •
p.4 #4 · 5D III Camera Plate

stan, sorry - my comment about the plate not being flush. It's flush - your series of pics make it clear. thanks for your trouble.

Apr 11, 2012 at 10:10 AM
khurram1
• • • •
p.4 #5 · 5D III Camera Plate

stanj wrote:
My L-plate fits perfectly, like all other RRS things.

This is comforting - mine should be here next week (hopefully), since its being shipped to Canada. Have you tried it with a level like the OP Would be interested in knowing if there is the same issue with the L-Bracket as there is for the camera plate.

Apr 11, 2012 at 11:13 AM
geniousc
• • •
p.4 #6 · 5D III Camera Plate

AGeoJO wrote:
Hi Gene,
I understand and I have decided to reject the shipment tomorrow. The Pro Media Gear plates look interesting alright but theirs, at least as of right now, do no not have the loop to attach a handstrap that I think is a desireable feature. Both RRS and Kirk plates have that. I will contact Pro Media tomorrow and see what they have to say.

Joshua,

This is the one i was speaking of. It has an anti-rotation pin that sits in the hole normally used for the battery pack and two attachemnts for a handstrap. I have had really good products come out of this company. The plate for the 5D3 looks good. the price is good along with free shipping.

http://store.promediagear.com/Plate-for-Canon-5d-mark-III-body_p_82.html

Apr 11, 2012 at 02:47 PM
bluebird
• •
p.4 #7 · 5D III Camera Plate

geniousc wrote:

That's a very nice plate indeed.

However, I then looked at their L plate for the 5DIII ; I am now trying to find that excellent pop-up flash and moveable LCD screen

http://store.promediagear.com/L-Bracket-for-Canon-5D-mark-III-body_p_46.html

There also appears to be no holes for cables; I use a promote and the USB cable needs to come out the side/top/bottom if used in portrait.

Really looking forward to my RRS one - the lack of a place to put the rubber cover strips has always been a real pain and they seem to have designed a perfect solution.

Apr 11, 2012 at 03:10 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.4 #8 · 5D III Camera Plate

Just an update - I just got off the phone with Casey and he couldn't tell me whether the regular plate is the same as the L-plate although according to him it should be. The engineer, Matt, gave him a written explanation and he would forward that to me as soon as he received the approval to do so. That could be the same explanation that the PR person will post here, I assume. In view of the uncertainty, I have decided to refuse the delivery. RRS will refund me the money, no problem and they are really good in that respect. We will see how things develop in the next several days or maybe a week or two.

Apr 11, 2012 at 03:12 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.4 #9 · 5D III Camera Plate

geniousc wrote:
Joshua,

This is the one i was speaking of. It has an anti-rotation pin that sits in the hole normally used for the battery pack and two attachemnts for a handstrap. I have had really good products come out of this company. The plate for the 5D3 looks good. the price is good along with free shipping.

Hi Gene, thank you. Yes, I saw that on their site but what confuses me though is that highlighted label in yellow that reads quite prominently "Canon 5D Mark II body plate". As we know the contour of the two cameras is quite different from each other. Probably a phone call would be in order... . To be honest, the RRS plate, if it fits properly, seems to be slightly better designed since it is longer and you can get more lateral movement of your camera on the tripod.

Edited on Apr 11, 2012 at 03:18 PM · View previous versions

Apr 11, 2012 at 03:16 PM
stanj
• • • • •
p.4 #10 · 5D III Camera Plate

stanj wrote:
My L-plate fits perfectly, like all other RRS things.

khurram1 wrote:
This is comforting - mine should be here next week (hopefully), since its being shipped to Canada. Have you tried it with a level like the OP Would be interested in knowing if there is the same issue with the L-Bracket as there is for the camera plate.

See above: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1103460/2#10531128

Apr 11, 2012 at 03:17 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

tvphotog
• •
p.4 #11 · 5D III Camera Plate

I called as I had ordered an L bracket, and according to the salesperson, there should be no issue. He said it was a matter of the new body being rounded off, and that posed a design problem for them.

However, he insisted that nothing should make a mark on the body.

Apr 11, 2012 at 03:23 PM
geniousc
• • •
p.4 #12 · 5D III Camera Plate

AGeoJO wrote:
Hi Gene, thank you. Yes, I saw that on their site but what confuses me though is that highlighted label in yellow that reads quite prominently "Canon 5D Mark II body plate". As we know the contour of the two cameras is quite different from each other. Probably a phone call would be in order... . To be honest, the RRS plate, if it fits properly, seems to be slightly better designed since it is longer and you can get more lateral movement of your camera on the tripod.

Yes Joshua I seen that too, the confusing labels. The new RRS plate is 4" long the PMG is 3 so there is a loss. I am looking at my old PMG 5D2 plate. It has three anti twist lips on it, each one is a machined radius that precisely fits the contour of the camera. It sits flat and does no harm to the camera. So yes, the length is a tradeoff but the plate design assuming it will be like the
5D2 looks good. If RRS doesn't come up with a solution, this is my alternative. I think they will take care of us though. But meanwhile, we all wait.

Apr 11, 2012 at 03:37 PM
stanj
• • • • •
p.4 #13 · 5D III Camera Plate

tvphotog wrote:
I called as I had ordered an L bracket, and according to the salesperson, there should be no issue. He said it was a matter of the new body being rounded off, and that posed a design problem for them.

However, he insisted that nothing should make a mark on the body.

Rounding shouldn't be an issue, both their 1D(s)3 plates were beautifully curved around the body. That flat lip on the new plate is odd.

Apr 11, 2012 at 03:41 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.4 #14 · 5D III Camera Plate

Gene, PMG plates won't be available for another week . Their price is good and shipping is free and for delivery to CA............psstt, no tax (in small and barely visible letters ). How about Kirk? I may want to check with them. Or just sit tight for another week or so.

Apr 11, 2012 at 03:45 PM
mckrub

p.4 #15 · 5D III Camera Plate

Hello everyone,

This is Matt. I designed the B5D3-L and conventional plate. We are having our local contact bring us his production 5D Mark III, which we will check against our conventional and L-plates in stock. Stay tuned. Some of the pics on this topic here have me concerned, so we have to make sure that our plates are fitting correctly.

A word on the rear lip of the plate. You cannot easily see it, but the contours of the body's bottom rear are spline shaped, unlike nearly every other prosumer body which have a flat bottom and simple radiused back corner. Placing an emphasis of "level and not twisting" over "aesthetics" is what drove our approach.

Honestly, I am more concerned that the plates may be putting the camera body out of level, than the aesthetic of the plate fit itself.

Regarding the pics with the quick level in the shot: do not trust them. To properly measure whether an installed plate is squared up, you need a granite surface plate, 123 blocks, and a height gauge with dial indicator at the very least. It should be measured against something more precise than the gasket, like say, the lens mount. In fact, the surprisingly spongy and poorly installed gasket on the Mark III body we measured was not square with the lens mount at all. The gasket also contributed to the rather "hard fit" design of this particular plate.

Again, stay tuned. We will update this forum with our findings. In the meantime, you are more than welcome to take advantage of our return policy if the fit just doesn't sit well with you. Thanks

Apr 11, 2012 at 04:00 PM
rsg_1
• • •
p.4 #16 · 5D III Camera Plate

Thanks for the update. I ordered the conventional body plate from RRS and will get it Friday. I will check very closely that the RRS plate doesn't damage the body and affect the level.

Apr 11, 2012 at 04:30 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.4 #17 · 5D III Camera Plate

Matt, thank you for your official explanation. I am not speaking for everybody here but I am sure most of us do not care about the aesthetic aspect of the plate. We mount it on the camera once, forget about it and just keeping on using it. The idea of a the plate, the ridge or lip of the plate, digging into the camera and leaving an indentation on the camera's bottom is not something we like or would like to see in the plate.

I will sit tight for right now and see how things develop in the next several days.

Apr 11, 2012 at 04:34 PM
mckrub

p.4 #18 · 5D III Camera Plate

AGeoJO,

We are listening. We're taking this seriously. Please understand that we do not want the marks either, but sometimes they cannot be avoided. We will reevaluate the fit and whether it is, in fact, doable without the aggressive antitwist.

Apr 11, 2012 at 04:43 PM
Jon Erickson

p.4 #19 · 5D III Camera Plate

I use a plate from Camdapter, the Camdapter Arca Neoprene (CDN-A). It accommodates a handstrap but doesn't have to. Fits the 5D3 perfectly, as it did the 5D2.

Apr 11, 2012 at 04:48 PM
DanBrown
• • • •
p.4 #20 · 5D III Camera Plate

mckrub wrote:
This is Matt. I designed the B5D3-L and conventional plate.

Thank you for your post. I'm certain everyone here appreciates your courtesy in taking the time to address these concerns.

I ordered my L-plate on 3/8, so I'll probably be delayed in receiving mine. Like many other FM members, I've enjoyed many exceptional products from RRS, and I'm looking forward to one more.

Apr 11, 2012 at 05:24 PM
1       2       3      

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password