FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4              17       18       end

Archive 2012 · 5D III Camera Plate

AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · 5D III Camera Plate

Stan, could you do us a favor and remove the plate and see whether ther is an indentation on the bottom of your camera? No need to take a picture of it but if you could just let us know, please?

Thanks,
Joshua

Apr 10, 2012 at 10:33 PM
juicer
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · 5D III Camera Plate

ghozer wrote:
Wow. That is very unlike RRS. I couldn't wait for them to produce a plate before a recent trip and they didn't have a good generic option so I went with a Wimberley generic plate. Very satisfied with it. In fact, so much so that I may not go with the L- plate at all, which is normally on every body I use and I had planned on getting one once available.

Ghozer -

Is this the plate?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/276977-REG/Wimberley_P_5_P5_Universal_Quick_Release.html

I use that plate too. Hasn't moved or needed adjusting in 5 years. The custom plates are too big for my liking and offer no benefit (not counting L plates).

Apr 10, 2012 at 10:34 PM
ghozer
• • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · 5D III Camera Plate

Stan, dude. Major fingerprints on that LCD!
I also took your iPhone pictures and ran it through Lightroom with Fill = 100. It fell apart. The iPhone sucks. Can you try taking another set of pictures with your hand across the iPhone lens and then shine a bright light across the front of the phone? This will be necessary before I can determine whether the 7D L-Plate fits appropriately.

Edited on Apr 10, 2012 at 10:47 PM · View previous versions

Apr 10, 2012 at 10:36 PM
ghozer
• • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · 5D III Camera Plate

juicer wrote:
I use that plate too. Hasn't moved or needed adjusting in 5 years. The custom plates are too big for my liking and offer no benefit (not counting L plates).

Yeah, the generic plate is so low profile. It's like taking pictures while naked!
Though, no one wants to see me doing that. Not even my wife!

Apr 10, 2012 at 10:37 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · 5D III Camera Plate

My L-plate is on its way and stanj's photos look as good as fit as any of my other RRS L-plates that I have for the 7D and 5D2. I am also using my regular 7D plate on the 5D3 and it fits good. Even my 7D L-plate fits okay and is useable but it just sticks to far off the one side to be a permanent solution.

That said that regular 5D3 plate is not right. Everyone who receives one should quickly check and then call RRS and complain if it fits the way it shows in the OPs photos.

Apr 10, 2012 at 10:38 PM
ghozer
• • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · 5D III Camera Plate

Even the best companies make mistakes. What separates the truly outstanding from the also-rans is how they deal with those mistakes. My guess is RRS will make this right.

Apr 10, 2012 at 10:47 PM
Gene_C
• • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · 5D III Camera Plate

It's not the front and back fit, it's the view from the side that shows all. The side view of the " normal plate" shows gaps where it doesn't touch the bottom of the camera body. That plate has the rear edge machine cut at what looks like 45 degrees. The camera body is captured in the wedge. It doesn't fit the body. Stan, please look at the shutter button side of the camera for a poor fit against the bottom and let ius know. The mounting screw pulling aginst the wedge puts a huge strain on the threaded hole and body. The wedge tends to pull harder on the screw as you tighten it, but form the side not straight up and down. The plate should be curved on both front and back edge and fit to the body properly.

Apr 10, 2012 at 10:50 PM
stanj
• • • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · 5D III Camera Plate

AGeoJO wrote:
Stan, could you do us a favor and remove the plate and see whether ther is an indentation on the bottom of your camera? No need to take a picture of it but if you could just let us know, please

Just for you: no blemishes that I can tell.

Apr 10, 2012 at 11:01 PM
WesN
• • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · 5D III Camera Plate

It's not the front and back fit, it's the view from the side that shows all.

You beat me to it. I have RRS plates for a 40D and 7D, as well as a RRS tripod head, and the quality was top notch. This is poorly designed.

Wes N.

Edited on Apr 10, 2012 at 11:05 PM · View previous versions

Apr 10, 2012 at 11:02 PM
stanj
• • • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · 5D III Camera Plate

geniousc wrote:
It's not the front and back fit, it's the view from the side that shows all. The side view of the " normal plate" shows gaps where it doesn't touch the bottom of the camera body. That plate has the rear edge machine cut at what looks like 45 degrees. The camera body is captured in the wedge. It doesn't fit the body. Stan, please look at the shutter button side of the camera for a poor fit against the bottom and let ius know. The mounting screw pulling aginst the wedge puts a huge strain on the threaded hole
...Show more

I am kinda tired of taking pictures (I *really* have to pack for my next job, flying out tomorrow) but will it be sufficient if I say that from the left side, right side, front, and rear, it looks absolutely perfect? That if I put the camera on a desk and turn on the level (ha! I bet you didn't think of that), it's perfectly straight?

Apr 10, 2012 at 11:04 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · 5D III Camera Plate

AGeoJO wrote:
Stan, could you do us a favor and remove the plate and see whether ther is an indentation on the bottom of your camera? No need to take a picture of it but if you could just let us know, please

stanj wrote:
Just for you: no blemishes that I can tell.

Stan, thank you! Good night and have a safe flight tomorrow!

To others, I am inclined to think that the design of the L-plate is different than that of the regular plate. First thing in the morning, after they open, I will give them a call again and try to confirm that. I will update here again.

Apr 10, 2012 at 11:06 PM
WesN
• • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · 5D III Camera Plate

Stan,

Thanks much! Your front and rear shots wouldn't show the problem, hence the additional requests. Heaven knows why RRS designed the L-plate to fit properly, but not thr regular plate.

Wes N.

Apr 10, 2012 at 11:12 PM
stanj
• • • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · 5D III Camera Plate

This is probably the dumbest question in this thread, but let me ask it: is it really a 5D3 plate? Would be embossed on the bottom. I mean, stranger things happened than getting the wrong item in the mail... If it is, then it's clearly an "oops" and I am sure they'll fix it. I have a dozen or so of their products and their support has been nothing short of fantastic, even out of warranty. As people said, everyone screws up sometimes, it's how they handle these instances is what separates companies.

Apr 10, 2012 at 11:59 PM
Bosman

p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · 5D III Camera Plate

I'm not happy with this! Who is behind releasing this BS fitting product? Now i have to refuse shipment but i am using USPS priority, so it'll be in my mailbox, i suppose i can just bring it to the postoffice un opened.

Apr 11, 2012 at 12:00 AM
thedigitalbean
• • • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · 5D III Camera Plate

Actually like Stan says, maybe a double check to make sure you got the right plate? John, your latest picture with the bubble levels speaks volumes.

Apr 11, 2012 at 12:05 AM
stanj
• • • • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · 5D III Camera Plate

Oops.

Apr 11, 2012 at 12:08 AM
chrisdee
• •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · 5D III Camera Plate

Judging by the pictures of the L plate on the RRS website, it looks like the base has exactly the same profile (with the indentation) as the non-L plate. Probably still not good if you don't want marks on your camera in the long run, but RRS accepts returns no questions asked.

Or maybe they can provide a layer of rubber/cork to stick on the plate around the indentation, I know they do that for other plates or by request.

Apr 11, 2012 at 12:21 AM
jdben622
• • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · 5D III Camera Plate

It has B5D3 etched into the bottom...definitely the right plate. I'm sure RRS wil get this sorted out. I don't expect them to "fix" all of the cameras...short of replacing the complete lower half there's nothing to fix. Also, the indentation in the body is annoying but not earth-shattering, so life goes on. Maybe a refund and a pro-bono replacement plate would be a nice gesture.

Apr 11, 2012 at 12:48 AM
Mike Tuomey
• • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · 5D III Camera Plate

stan, sorry - my comment about the plate not being flush. It's flush - your series of pics make it clear. thanks for your trouble.

Apr 11, 2012 at 05:10 AM
khurram1
• • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · 5D III Camera Plate

stanj wrote:
My L-plate fits perfectly, like all other RRS things.

This is comforting - mine should be here next week (hopefully), since its being shipped to Canada. Have you tried it with a level like the OP Would be interested in knowing if there is the same issue with the L-Bracket as there is for the camera plate.

Apr 11, 2012 at 06:13 AM
1       2      

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.