Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Spider Holster & Cotton Carrier with Vertical Grip

omarlyn
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Spider Holster & Cotton Carrier with Vertical Grip

Question here on the Spider & Cotton Carrier Holsters for photographers that shoot almost entirely in vertical orientation:

I've long been considering the Spider Holster as the concept really appeals to me. However, since I shoot primarily in vertical orientation, the idea of a plate sticking out of the vertical grip makes me question it's usability for me. I do not have particularly large hands or long fingers so any kind of plate or hub sticking out of the vertical grip concerns me. More recently, I also learned of the Cotton Carrier Holster as well which based soley on appearance, seems to me that it would be less obstrusive in the vertical grip but not as secure in the holster.

I'm looking for some real-world replies from other photographers who have used either system AND also shoot primarily in vertical orientation. So, I'm looking first for preferences between the two systems and I also want to know how obstructive the plate or hub is & if it causes any discomfort in the hand after extended vertical shooting.

Omar

Apr 10, 2012 at 07:52 PM
timstree

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Spider Holster & Cotton Carrier with Vertical Grip

G'day Omar.

I have recently purchased a Cotton Carrier for use with my D700 and lenses up to 300/2.8.

One solution for you, with the Cotton Carrier may be to use a L bracket and mount the hub onto the bottom of the L bracket, this would leave the vertical mounting of the L bracket free to use on a tripod, that is if you intend to mount it on a tripod.

If you don't need to use a tripod then just screw the hub onto the bottom of the camera. I'm sure the small protrusion will not cause you any problem, this is a small price to pay.

My main requirement was to avoid carrying my D700, 2.8, tripod and flash, over my shoulder.

Because I use a RRS L bracket I ordered the CC clamp and mounted the hub onto this clamp. This enables me to remove the hub when using a tripod.

I was happy with this system using my camera with a 70/200 and smaller.

I wasn't happy carrying the 300/2.8 like this because the whole weight of this heavy lens was being carried on the camera/lens mount. Not a good idea long run.

My soulution was to mount the hub onto the lens foot and carry the load from the lens rather than from the camera. This required the purchase of a second clamp because the hub needs to be mounted at 90 degrees on the lens foot. I discarded the rubber washers supplied and used locktite when attaching the hub to the clamps. I now have 2 clamps with a hub on each.

To date I have only used this once in the field, but feel it's a good solution to carrying a heavy rig, Camera on the chest and tripod in one hand.

Having dropped my camera and lens once, I like the fact that the CC comes with a safety strap.
My solutuion was not cheap but takes some of the worry out of carrying or dropping the gear. This means I'll use it more.

I know your requirements are different to mine but I hope some info of this helps.

Sorry no experience with the Spider.

Cheers

Tim in Aus

Apr 11, 2012 at 02:09 AM
joonrhee
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Spider Holster & Cotton Carrier with Vertical Grip

timstree wrote:
G'day Omar.

I have recently purchased a Cotton Carrier for use with my D700 and lenses up to 300/2.8.

One solution for you, with the Cotton Carrier may be to use a L bracket and mount the hub onto the bottom of the L bracket, this would leave the vertical mounting of the L bracket free to use on a tripod, that is if you intend to mount it on a tripod.

If you don't need to use a tripod then just screw the hub onto the bottom of the camera. I'm sure the small protrusion will not cause you any problem,
...Show more

Would you mind explaining what is the cc clamp? I am also considering a cotton carrier to use with 1div and 200 2.0is but was worried about hanging the lens on the camera just via the camera mount. I would like to try out your methods. Thanks.

Apr 11, 2012 at 06:02 AM
timstree

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Spider Holster & Cotton Carrier with Vertical Grip

Sorry about that. It's a Cotton Carrier slim line clamp. It clamps on my RRS L bracket and the hub is mounted onto this clamp. When removed it leaves the L bracket free to mount onto the tripod. The CC chest harness comes with an adaptor plate which would be sort of all right for a light rig but is off centre and not ideal for a heavy rig.

http://www.cottoncarrier.com/usdstore/#ecwid:category=2498192&mode=product&product=10903493

Look in accessories.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

tim in Aus

Apr 11, 2012 at 06:28 AM
joonrhee
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Spider Holster & Cotton Carrier with Vertical Grip

Thank you Tim!

Apr 11, 2012 at 04:26 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell