Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Closer fledgeling shot - My first great horned owl.. well...

thedutt
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Closer fledgeling shot - My first great horned owl.. well first two

Edit: added a new fledgeling shot below from this morning.
My first set of great horned owls (or any kind of owls for that matter). Very excited to find them, now that I know they may live around here, will try to catch them more often. Any tips from pros on if these guys can be caught flying? Looks like they hunt primarily at night, though are active on cloudy days also.

All shots using 300 f2.8 + 2x III on 5D III. Larger shots available here

1. Saw the momma up on the tree. Lake level was lower and I was able to go further the trail than I had been able to before. Luckily I saw this lady up the tree:

Model: Canon EOS 5D Mark III
ISO: 800
Exposure: 1/1000 sec
Aperture: 9.0
Focal Length: 600mm

2. It appeared that she was not alone, and upon further investigation:

Aperture: 8.0

Aperture: 9.0

Some more catch of the day, which I hope does not become food for this predator:

Aperture: 7.1

5. This little one was extra spunky:

Aperture: 6.3

Edited on Apr 10, 2012 at 09:24 PM · View previous versions

Apr 10, 2012 at 02:32 AM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Closer fledgeling shot - My first great horned owl.. well first two

Congrats on the Owls, finding them is not easy and they don't often offer any easy shots but #2 looks nice

To me #3 looks too bright, more color and contrast to be had by lowering the brightness of this one I think.
#4 is a little bright on top of the GBH, sacrificing the underwings for a more properly exposed top wing and head could present nicely.
Last shot is a good exposure, a wee bit darker could work for more color depth on the dove but you did good!

I hope you have more encounters with the Owls, they sure are impressive to see. Try spot metering on subjects with a lot of bright BG area.

Hopefully helpful comments, nothing negative implied
If I can suggest a more creative comp on this one to consider too..........I like this shot of yours

Karl

Edited on Apr 10, 2012 at 02:44 AM · View previous versions

Apr 10, 2012 at 02:39 AM
Andrwe Bazeley
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Closer fledgeling shot - My first great horned owl.. well first two

Nice shots there. Cheers, Andrew

Apr 10, 2012 at 02:40 AM
arbitrage
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Closer fledgeling shot - My first great horned owl.. well first two

Great shots, glad to see you are enjoying the new camera as much as I am. Also seems like you are getting no real degradation in the images by having the 2.0TC attached to the 300. I may have to consider one of these 300s if they take a TC that well. Sure would be a light and compact 600 f/5.6.

Apr 10, 2012 at 02:42 AM
thedutt
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Closer fledgeling shot - My first great horned owl.. well first two

Thank you Karl for helpful tips and encouraging words. The crop and framing looks very nice, I need to learn how to frame in LR4.1.

Thanks Andrew.

Arbitrage, in good light the 600 f5.6 works really good on MKIII. I used to struggle on MKII, I think it was primarly due to inconsistent focus, but on the MKIII I pretty much leave the 2xIII on all the time. This will be my supertele combo at least for the rest of the year

Apr 10, 2012 at 03:00 AM
Conrad Tan
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Closer fledgeling shot - My first great horned owl.. well first two

Always a great day to find owls!

Apr 10, 2012 at 05:26 AM
thedutt
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Closer fledgeling shot - My first great horned owl.. well first two

Thanks Conrad. Found the momma and fledgling at the same spot today. I could only catch them from north this AM so the light direction is suboptimal, but there they are :

Exposure: 1/640 sec

Apr 10, 2012 at 03:34 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Closer fledgeling shot - My first great horned owl.. well first two

Nice find for the owls. Listen to Karl - he knows what he's talking about ~ Ron

Apr 11, 2012 at 12:40 AM
thedutt
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Closer fledgeling shot - My first great horned owl.. well first two

surfnron wrote:
Nice find for the owls. Listen to Karl - he knows what he's talking about ~ Ron

Thanks Ron, Karl's feedback was spot on. Will be reprocessing the files in the coming days.

Apr 11, 2012 at 04:16 AM
trailhiker
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Closer fledgeling shot - My first great horned owl.. well first two

Always a very cool find, and I really like that last one of Mom and fledgling. And they were out in the open during the day, too; the ones here are for the most part in the shade, which makes for tricky camera settings.

Best Wishes,
Steve

Apr 11, 2012 at 12:18 PM
thedutt
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Closer fledgeling shot - My first great horned owl.. well first two

trailhiker wrote:
Always a very cool find, and I really like that last one of Mom and fledgling. And they were out in the open during the day, too; the ones here are for the most part in the shade, which makes for tricky camera settings.

Best Wishes,
Steve

Thank you Steve, I was lucky indeed. The mom and the fledgling stayed in the tree until this afternoon. I was hoping to catch them during the weekend, but apparently they had different plans :-) A search with binoculars through the woods was not fruitful!

Can a fledgling at that young an age fly?

Apr 12, 2012 at 11:44 PM
Thomas Sanders
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Closer fledgeling shot - My first great horned owl.. well first two

Exciting find and I hope you have many more opportunities to photograph this family

Tom

Apr 13, 2012 at 12:03 AM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Closer fledgeling shot - My first great horned owl.. well first two

The second is my pick Adatta

Morris

Apr 13, 2012 at 12:36 AM
thedutt
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Closer fledgeling shot - My first great horned owl.. well first two

Thank you Tom and Morris. Here is the final shot of this guy,100% crop:

ISO: 400
Exposure: 1/400 sec

Apr 13, 2012 at 10:12 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password