Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Strap for 1D4 (or any other full size body)

beagledog3

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Strap for 1D4 (or any other full size body)

Looking for strap recommendations for a full size body (Canon 1D4); I have a Crumpler strap on my 7D which I like, but have been looking at some options that have a "quick-release" snap or similar - possibly something interchangable to quickly switch from the camera body to a large lens (300 mm or 500 mm). Any suggestions would appreciated.

Thanks,
Jon

Apr 09, 2012 at 10:53 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Strap for 1D4 (or any other full size body)

I use Domke Gripper, modified, http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1067381/1#10163047

Apr 09, 2012 at 11:40 PM
Betacamman
• •
p.1 #3 · Strap for 1D4 (or any other full size body)

jcolwell wrote:
I use Domke Gripper, modified, http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1067381/1#10163047

Same here, (unmodified) for two 1D3s and a 1D2N

Apr 10, 2012 at 03:23 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Strap for 1D4 (or any other full size body)

Could you elaborate on what you use to mount it TO the camera? It looks like it's just through the lug, but not around it?

Apr 10, 2012 at 10:21 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · Strap for 1D4 (or any other full size body)

RobertLynn wrote:
Could you elaborate on what you use to mount it TO the camera? It looks like it's just through the lug, but not around it?

You're right. It's a loop made of 1/4" strapping (same as narrow strapping section on many straps). The cut-ends of the loop are arranged so that it's three layers thick, which won't fit through the strap lug, while the folded, two-layer thick other-end of the loop will fit - especially if helped with a small screwdriver. The thicker section acts like a cam, and it's rock solid. I've been using this system for at least 5 years, on 1D-series bodies with 70-200/2.8L IS, 28-300/3.5-5.6L IS, and 100-400/4.5-5.6L IS - no problems. The swivel that attaches the minicarabiner to the loop is from a commercial fishing shop - 400 lb test. The weak link is the stainless split ring, that slowly spreads and deforms to failure after about 15 seconds holding my weight - 250 lbs.

Apr 11, 2012 at 01:09 AM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · Strap for 1D4 (or any other full size body)

Thank you. It appears that you sew the end in place so that it's three layers thick.

I believe I understand now.

Apr 11, 2012 at 02:56 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

RoyC
• •
p.1 #7 · Strap for 1D4 (or any other full size body)

beagledog3 wrote:
Looking for strap recommendations for a full size body (Canon 1D4); I have a Crumpler strap on my 7D which I like, but have been looking at some options that have a "quick-release" snap or similar - possibly something interchangable to quickly switch from the camera body to a large lens (300 mm or 500 mm). Any suggestions would appreciated.

Thanks,
Jon

http://www.upstrap-pro.com/product/SLR-QR-H/SLR-QR-K.html

Been using these for a while they will carry whatever you want. You can get extra ends so one strap will work will different bodies or big glass.

Apr 11, 2012 at 06:11 PM
OntheRez
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Strap for 1D4 (or any other full size body)

I use a 1DIII exclusively for sports (as a newspaper reporter/photographer) and have tried several things. Recently, I've been using the Black Rapid Sport. It has a bit of a shoulder holster feeling strapping up and around my left shoulder. Stays in place fairly well though I wish I could get it to not move at all. The camera hangs at the back right hip (placement adjustable) and I can bring it up very quite. Works well.

For attachment they use a screw in (to the bottom mount) eyelet with a carabineer that screw locks. Easy to get the camera out of the eyelet if I want, but have never had it come loose. Not sure how it would work with a tripod as I never use one in sport. Also got a "Bryce" - weird naming - which is a small pouch that mounts up on the strap. Big enough for cards and an iPhone.

I recommend the set up though I'm looking for other things for long hikes..

Robert

PS If you went to a BIG lens like the 500 you'd want a second eyelet to mount on the lens foot.

Apr 12, 2012 at 03:51 PM
beagledog3

p.1 #9 · Strap for 1D4 (or any other full size body)

RoyC wrote:
http://www.upstrap-pro.com/product/SLR-QR-H/SLR-QR-K.html

Been using these for a while they will carry whatever you want. You can get extra ends so one strap will work will different bodies or big glass.

Thanks for the suggestions. I like this kind of option. What I'd like to be able to do is to keep a set of quick release clips on the big lenses and then a set on the body to be able to quickly switch back and forth if needed. I'm hesitant to use the tripod mount because I'm often on the tripod or monopod and don't want to have to disconnect and reconnect.

Apr 12, 2012 at 04:04 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · Strap for 1D4 (or any other full size body)

RobertLynn wrote:
Thank you. It appears that you sew the end in place so that it's three layers thick.

I believe I understand now.

You got it, Rob!

P.S. check the Black Diamond Zodiac Gear Sling link in http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1105900/0#10564660

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Climbing/SlingsWebbing/PRD~4004-867/black-diamond-zodiac-gear-sling.jsp

Apr 21, 2012 at 01:26 PM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · Strap for 1D4 (or any other full size body)

I use the OpTech straps. The part that goes around my neck or over my shoulder is shaped for a natural and comfortable fit, and stretches a bit to even the load out even more so that it is even more comfortable to use. This part clips onto the bits that attach to the camera or to a lens and can be quickly moved from one to the other. You can buy optional extension pieces if you like to carry the camera and lens down low by your hip instead of up nearer to chest height. You can also buy velcro safety tabs that effectively lock the quick release clips to prevent any chance of an accidental release.

No system is perfect in all respects but you could do a lot worse than use OpTech. Any flat, straight strap will be far less comfortable because the edge of it will bite into your neck or shoulder and so concentrate the weight onto a smaller part of your body.

-Alan

May 11, 2012 at 07:44 AM
Roland W
• • •
p.1 #12 · Strap for 1D4 (or any other full size body)

I will second the use of OpTech straps on camera bodies and big lenses and other gear like binoculars. I am very happy with the quick release snaps they provide, and like to quickly take my straps off for use on a gimbal mount or while on a tripod. The snaps hold very well even with one side "released", and I still have never found one half released in many years of use. And I do use the same strap on my Canon 300 f2.8 if I need to carry it that way, but again can take the strap off easily for gimbal or other hand held uses if I want to.

May 11, 2012 at 05:49 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password