Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · 3rd generation teleconverter question

eyelaser
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 3rd generation teleconverter question

From your experience does the 3rd generation tc (1.4 or 2.0) give markedly better results than tcII ONLY with the 2nd generation long lenses or will I notice an improvement even with my version I 500mm f4is? Thanks all.
Eric

Apr 09, 2012 at 08:55 PM
thedigitalbean
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 3rd generation teleconverter question

IQ wise, the 3rd generation TCs have less CA than the 2nd generation TCs even with the older super telephotos. This is particularly noticeable with the 2x and less so with the 1.4x. Sharpness with the 2x is also better even with older lenses.

Apr 09, 2012 at 09:00 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 3rd generation teleconverter question

I noticed a substantial increase in edge and corner sharpness on my 500/4L IS Mk I with the 1.4x and 2x Mk III Extenders, compared to the 1.4x Mk I and 2x Mk II Extenders that I previously owned. You can probably find the example images that I posted a while ago with a search for "III".

Apr 09, 2012 at 09:02 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 3rd generation teleconverter question

Agreed with both Aravind and Jim above.

The AF speed and accuracy of the Mark III TCs used in combo with the newer Mark II supertele lenses is reported to be faster and better, respectively, at least according to Canon. In real-life maybe the new TCs are a little faster but I couldn't quantify the speed improvement, let alone the accuracy.

Apr 09, 2012 at 09:13 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 3rd generation teleconverter question

eyelaser wrote:
From your experience does the 3rd generation tc (1.4 or 2.0) give markedly better results than tcII ONLY with the 2nd generation long lenses or will I notice an improvement even with my version I 500mm f4is? Thanks all.
Eric

pretty similar in center frame for the 1.4x, but the III does have better edge sharpness and nearly 3x less CA (although you can fix up most of the difference if you shoot RAW)

i've only ever used the 2x III

Apr 09, 2012 at 10:22 PM
eyelaser
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 3rd generation teleconverter question

Thanks so much guys...I really appreciate the feedback. I didn't want to update my 1.4 if it wasn't really necessary. And since I do shoot RAW the CA isn't as big a deal.
Eric

Apr 10, 2012 at 02:35 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password