Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Appropriate Fee/License for site photography Question

gourdhead
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Appropriate Fee/License for site photography Question

I want to shoot onsite at a location that has dozens of acres of antique cars that are in nice shape down to rusting away. I want to do a calendar that and thought this location would be perfect. I heard the owner has photographers pay a private and commercial photogrpaher fee. I do not know the price yet, but what would be a "fair" price for him to charge me to use his location to create my calendar/book themed on ghosts of the past (cars)? His collection is extensive and several photographers/videographers have been there, but I have not personally spoken to them. I have been photograping for 31 years, but it is a side hobby to my teaching career. Never had this issue and wanted to know what you experienced folk know about the subject and what type of price would be fair. I want it to be where I can use the images freely so paying the fee would give me that right. Thanks in advance for the advice.
Gourdhead

Apr 09, 2012 at 01:17 PM
alohadave
• • •
p.1 #2 · Appropriate Fee/License for site photography Question

Fair price?

You are at his mercy. He has what you want to shoot. Either his price is acceptable to you or it isn't. There is no fair.

Whatever he quotes you, you can always try to negotiate.

Apr 09, 2012 at 02:46 PM
cpurves
• •
p.1 #3 · Appropriate Fee/License for site photography Question

Our local train museum charges $50.00 to shoot for up to two hours. Most of the shoots are weddings or a model shoot. I pay the fee if I need the property for a shoot that I will be selling photos from. I have just paid the admission fee and taken my camera but that was only for my own use.

I've seen commercial property be anywhere up to $500.00 for access but that included models, lighting, assistants, etc. Fair probably is in the $50 to $100 for a couple of hours shooting.
Please let us know what he does charge and post pics from the shoot.
Cheers
Chris

Apr 09, 2012 at 02:48 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

cwebster
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Appropriate Fee/License for site photography Question

-snip-
"I want it to be where I can use the images freely so paying the fee would give me that right. "

Then make sure you get appropriate language in your contract with the owner. If you want to be able to sell photos from that location as stock for advertising, etc. you will need a property release.

Simply paying for access does not guarantee you the right to use the photos as you wish.

<Chas>

Apr 09, 2012 at 06:46 PM
gourdhead
• • •
p.1 #5 · Appropriate Fee/License for site photography Question

Thanks Dave,Chris and Chas. I will update you when I go out and post some images.
Gourdhead

Anyone have a sample of the contract language that would be necessary that would give me the right to use those property images?
Thanks Folks!

Apr 09, 2012 at 07:50 PM
cwebster
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Appropriate Fee/License for site photography Question

You can find lots of examples of Property Releases on the 'net. For a contract, I suggest getting "Best Business Practices for Photographers" by John Harrington, or the ASMP book "Business Practices for Professional Photography"

<Chas>

Apr 10, 2012 at 12:14 AM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password