Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · 5d3 - In Camera HDR - Shots welcome

timgangloff
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 5d3 - In Camera HDR - Shots welcome

I am mostly a sports shooter, but am really beginning to like what the 5d3 can offer amateurs like me when it comes to things other than sports.

I was out playing around with it yesterday and for kicks, but the 70-200 2.8 IS II on it with a 2.0x II converter. I was just hand holding goofing off essentially, trying the different settings and thought I'd give the HDR option a quick test. I quickly learned that you need a really steady hand or preferably, a tripod.

I am sure many of you are much more capable in this HDR thing, so lets see your HDR in camera images from the 5d3.

I'll start. Again, sans tripod, 70-200 2.8 IS II with 2.0x

timgangloff 2012

Apr 08, 2012 at 05:51 PM
Dgw2

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 5d3 - In Camera HDR - Shots welcome

Spending time in Disney and am having some fun with the HDR piece. See attached.

Apr 09, 2012 at 02:02 AM
3catsinky
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 5d3 - In Camera HDR - Shots welcome

I am finding I am really liking this feature. A couple from an old train depot.

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    50mm lens    50mm    f/9.0    1/250s    320 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    50mm lens    50mm    f/6.3    1/400s    160 ISO    0.0 EV  

Apr 09, 2012 at 03:40 AM
Frozen Shutter

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 5d3 - In Camera HDR - Shots welcome

This image was captured using the Bold Art setting, which exaggerates bold colors that are not meant to look realistic. Hand-held HDR, +/-2 EV

Edited on Apr 09, 2012 at 06:45 PM · View previous versions

Apr 09, 2012 at 03:55 AM
stargazer78
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 5d3 - In Camera HDR - Shots welcome

Does the mirror go up and down with each HDR exposure, or does it stay up throughout the entire 3-exposure bracket?

If the mirror does go up and down, will switching to Live View change the way the camera behaves during HDR exposures?

Apr 09, 2012 at 03:55 AM
Frozen Shutter

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 5d3 - In Camera HDR - Shots welcome

I'm not sure how the camera handles the mirror during the HDR exposures. It will shoot the three images in quick succession and then process the combined jpeg in-camera. There is a little lag in shooting while waiting for the camera to process. I haven't tried to use live view for HDR shooting.

Edited on Apr 09, 2012 at 03:17 PM · View previous versions

Apr 09, 2012 at 04:20 AM
jhg photo
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 5d3 - In Camera HDR - Shots welcome

Hi
I am also interested to see how in-camera HDR of the 5D III works out.
To be a useful thread, however, we need to report the HDR settings like style and exposure range, e.g. +- 2 stops.
Thank you and go on please

Apr 09, 2012 at 08:47 AM
akin_t
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 5d3 - In Camera HDR - Shots welcome

stargazer78 wrote:
Does the mirror go up and down with each HDR exposure, or does it stay up throughout the entire 3-exposure bracket?

If the mirror does go up and down, will switching to Live View change the way the camera behaves during HDR exposures?

I don't own the 5DmkIII but I cannot think of one reason for the mirror to move during the bracketing sequence.

As long as the shutter opens and closes in accordance to the exposures defined, there's no reason for the mirror to come down.

Apr 09, 2012 at 01:49 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

bobbytan
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 5d3 - In Camera HDR - Shots welcome

All the pictures above are bloody awful. So the HDR feature is more of a gimmick I guess.

Apr 09, 2012 at 03:14 PM
georgesaad

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 5d3 - In Camera HDR - Shots welcome

I like the dragon shot the most, perhaps good lighting makes the difference here vs indoor shooting, but being an HDR shooter and a fan I would for sure prefer to use the good ole' way of setting up my own exposure and using my own techniques, Lock up mirror, live view etc, etc,

Apr 09, 2012 at 03:25 PM
emiller90
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 5d3 - In Camera HDR - Shots welcome

Is anyone doing HDR hand held, or are they using a tripod?

Apr 09, 2012 at 05:43 PM
Frozen Shutter

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 5d3 - In Camera HDR - Shots welcome

My shot was hand-held. I wouldn't deem it high enough quality to market without using a tripod.

Apr 09, 2012 at 06:31 PM
Chris Beaumont
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 5d3 - In Camera HDR - Shots welcome

Have to agree, all but the dragon and possibly the ruined house look pretty bad to me, you'd get pretty much exactly the same result by opening a RAW and pushing "fill light" as far as you can, if you're in a massive hurry it might just work out, and I can see it being useful in the T4i type cameras it'll be added to next, but I'd expect someone owning a 5DIII to know of half a dozen ways to achieve better results in <5 minutes.

Apr 09, 2012 at 06:38 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 5d3 - In Camera HDR - Shots welcome

The camera has the ability to minimize slight movement in the blended images. Still, a tripod would be preferred and images that include moving people or other targets are less suitable for this purpose. The camera lets you save the images as RAW and you can process them using another method, like Photoshop. You can enjoy the in-camera JPG as a nice, on-the-spot preview of what can be expected.

Apr 09, 2012 at 06:39 PM
chez
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 5d3 - In Camera HDR - Shots welcome

AGeoJO wrote:
The camera has the ability to minimize slight movement in the blended images. Still, a tripod would be preferred and images that include moving people or other targets are less suitable for this purpose. The camera lets you save the images as RAW and you can process them using another method, like Photoshop. You can enjoy the in-camera JPG as a nice, on-the-spot preview of what can be expected.

Looking at the above images...I don't even feel the jpeg would be of any use as an on-the-spot preview. They don't look good at all.

Apr 09, 2012 at 06:41 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password