Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · 7D Soft Focusing

JayCeePhotog
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 7D Soft Focusing

Anyone know a technique to fix this soft focusing ? I'm using a 7D with 24mm F1.4L I + 135mm F2L. Usually shooting at the wide, but sometimes 2-4 stops down.

Apr 08, 2012 at 06:31 AM
katzung1
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 7D Soft Focusing

Can you post some examples? I gather you see soft results with both lenses. Have you tried the lenses on a different body? Is this with standard AF or live view or both? Have you checked for front or rear focusing with one of those 45 degree-angled scales?
Bert

Apr 08, 2012 at 06:44 AM
carnac
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 7D Soft Focusing

Post an example or two with EXIF info. Is it front or rear focusing? Could it be motion blur (most common cause of soft pictures with DSLR beginners)? - Sorry if you are an expert, but need to know more than getting soft pictures to diagnose your problem.

Could be the body, the lenses (not likely) or the operator (most likely).

Common causes - (1) wide open with a fast lens along with recompose after focus, (2) too slow of a shutter speed (hand held - around 1/50 sec minimum for the 24 and 1/250 sec minimum for the 135), (3) subject moving too fast for shutter speed,(4) poor handheld technique, (4) not using mirror lock-up and remote release for tripod shots, (5) etc.

With a little more info the forum members here should be able to figure out the problem. The 7D and 135L should be giving you excellent sharp photos.

Cheers - Jim

Apr 08, 2012 at 06:54 AM
JayCeePhotog
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 7D Soft Focusing

With the 24mm 1.4 L I at 1.4.

http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/4573/img2525a.jpg

Apr 08, 2012 at 07:05 AM
JayCeePhotog
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 7D Soft Focusing

Full res - http://a.yfrog.com/img100/5958/img2525gt.jpg

Apr 08, 2012 at 07:11 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 7D Soft Focusing

Ok in your poste example what was the focus supposed to be on? Her knee and his sock lock pretty much spot on focus to me (or at least close to the actual point of focus). So if you focused on their faces then you could have a front focus lens.

But you need to check what the focus point used was. If you had more than a single point active the 7 D may have picked one on or around the knee area. The canon software can show you the focus point used , as can the camera if you enable the function in the camera menu.

So if we assume you have a front focus lens , have you tried to MA the lenses?

Apr 08, 2012 at 08:07 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 7D Soft Focusing

Is it just me or is there some really phallic imagery going on here with that lighthouse? Especially with the odd look on the guy's face, you can almost see what he's thinking and the thought bubbles

As for the shot, not sure what you're expecting shooting at f1.4, even with a 24mm lens the DOF is very small

Apr 08, 2012 at 08:36 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 7D Soft Focusing

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
...if you focused on their faces then you could have a front focus[ing] lens.

That's what it looks like to me, too.

Apr 08, 2012 at 08:48 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 7D Soft Focusing

The focus is not soft but, instead, is very sharp on the plane of focus. The center AF point is on the man's face. The hands look sharpest to me (not the face or knee), so this lens may suffer focus displacement a wee bit in front of the desired point. Since it's a prime, just dial in a little MA.

Apr 08, 2012 at 09:49 AM
carnac
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 7D Soft Focusing

To the OP - incase it isn't clear from the posts above - MA is micro adjust. It allows you to adjust the center focus (front to rear) of by lens. Your owner's manual has details. Although this might help, I would check the focus point first - if it is on the hand or knee, probably no need to worry about MA for this lens.

Apr 08, 2012 at 03:55 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 7D Soft Focusing

Edit: Disregard this post. I did something dumb.

Edited on Apr 08, 2012 at 07:44 PM · View previous versions

Apr 08, 2012 at 06:49 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 7D Soft Focusing

As I wrote above, the center AF square is on the man's face. I actually opened the photo in DPP and checked. And, yes, I'm pretty sure the phallic imagery was by design.

Apr 08, 2012 at 07:17 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 7D Soft Focusing

Gochugogi wrote:
As I wrote above, the center AF square is on the man's face. I actually opened the photo in DPP and checked.

Doh! Now why didn't I think of that? Not only is the center AF square on his face, but it was the active AF point; and since DPP shows that it was shot at 1/8000, we can pretty much rule out motion blur.

Okay, this definitely suggests a front focus issue. Simple fix with an AF Micro-adjust.

Apr 08, 2012 at 07:35 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 7D Soft Focusing

What was the point of shooting at 1/8000 & f1.4? Try a similar shot at f8 or f11.

Apr 08, 2012 at 08:43 PM
uz2work
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 7D Soft Focusing

BrianO wrote:
Doh! Now why didn't I think of that? Not only is the center AF square on his face, but it was the active AF point; and since DPP shows that it was shot at 1/8000, we can pretty much rule out motion blur.

Okay, this definitely suggests a front focus issue. Simple fix with an AF Micro-adjust.

But, the focus point shown in DPP does not necessarily indicate which point was actually used if center point expanded to surrounding points is being used. If that mode was being used, the center point would always show up in DPP even if one of the surrounding points was actually used. In the case of this picture, one of those surrounding points is, at least, partially on the man's knee. And it could well be that there was slight movement in the camera between the time that focus was established and the picture was actually taken. Thus, it could well be that the focus point was squarely on the knee when focus was established.

I'm not sure that I can have much confidence in guesses about front or back focus (or other focus issues) without seeing some testing in a more controlled situation.

Les

Apr 08, 2012 at 09:28 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 7D Soft Focusing

uz2work wrote:
...I'm not sure that I can have much confidence in guesses about front or back focus (or other focus issues) without seeing some testing in a more controlled situation.

Always a good idea.

I've used the SpyderLensCal device with good results, although now I would use FoCal software.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-JrUQO_Z5U

http://www.reikan.co.uk/focal/focal.html

Apr 08, 2012 at 10:26 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 7D Soft Focusing

uz2work wrote:
But, the focus point shown in DPP does not necessarily indicate which point was actually used if center point expanded to surrounding points is being used. If that mode was being used, the center point would always show up in DPP even if one of the surrounding points was actually used. In the case of this picture, one of those surrounding points is, at least, partially on the man's knee. And it could well be that there was slight movement in the camera between the time that focus was established and the picture was actually taken. Thus, it could well
...Show more

Ah dunno about that. According to the EXIF data Spot AF was used. So a reduced size single point (one of the best features of the 7D). I still think the OP can fix the problem with a little MA and never think about it again.

Apr 08, 2012 at 11:18 PM
JayCeePhotog
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 7D Soft Focusing

Hmm, according to many places I read, they say stray away from SPOT AF... Well anyways, I got ONE in focus shot so the job was done.

I shot at 1/8000 and F1.4 because I wanted the DOF and the wide shot. Being an L lens, you sorta expect it to be usable at F1.4 ya know?

Apr 09, 2012 at 06:25 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 7D Soft Focusing

JayCeePhotog wrote:
Hmm, according to many places I read, they say stray away from SPOT AF...

If you're shooting a lone bird in a wide-open sky spot focus could be a problem, I guess.

If you're trying to focus on one face in a crowd it can be a Godsend.

JayCeePhotog wrote:
...I shot at 1/8000 and F1.4 because I wanted the [shallow] DOF and the wide shot. Being an L lens, you sorta expect it to be usable at F1.4 ya know?

I think your choice was a good one, and I bet if you do the MA you'll find your keeper rate improving.

Apr 09, 2012 at 06:44 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 7D Soft Focusing

For messy foregrounds and macro, Spot Focus has been a Godsend for me. I rarely set it as default but, instead, assign Spot Focus to the DOF button and use it on demand for tricky situations (e.g., AF grabs a nearer leaf rather than the petal, etc.)

Apr 09, 2012 at 08:00 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password