Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · 580EX problem, can't find on google

form
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 580EX problem, can't find on google

I have a 580EX that I purchased used (like 2 others I have) and at the time I didn't notice it was having an issue. I suspect now (months later) that the seller knew it had problems...

Anyway. The problem is it refuses to fire off a charge less than about 1/4 power. In manual mode, at 1/128 power, it fires 1/4 power. At 1/64 power setting, it fires about 1/2 power. At 1/32 power setting, it fires full power. Any setting above that fires full power. It fires at these power levels with the test button or on-camera in manual. In eTTL mode on-camera, it consistently overexposes if the shot requires less than 1/4 power...

Ever hear of this problem? Clearly I got ripped off by the seller...but if anyone is familiar with it perhaps at least I can have some idea of what happened and possibly how to go about fixing it.

Edited on Apr 08, 2012 at 04:44 AM · View previous versions

Apr 08, 2012 at 04:40 AM
Matt OHarver
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 580EX problem, can't find on google

I've never heard of the issue, but if you have had it for months, and never noticed the issue until now, how did you clearly get ripped off by the seller?

Apr 08, 2012 at 04:43 AM
form
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 580EX problem, can't find on google

I got ripped off because he said it functioned perfectly. I know now that it didn't function perfectly, but since I had never seen anything like this before I didn't expect or look for such a defect.

If a person is murdered and nobody knows about it until months later, did the person really get murdered? Same logic as your question...

If a person trusts an investor to use their money wisely and it turns out the investor is embezzling the money to fund their own private purchases, but the person who gave the money to the investor doesn't find out for several months, did the person really get ripped off by the investor?...

Apr 08, 2012 at 04:44 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 580EX problem, can't find on google

Maybe it did function perfectly when you got it...

Apr 08, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

docgriz
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 580EX problem, can't find on google

Months later?? Or worse case it didnt perform flawlessly but the seller had no idea of the problem. Or maybe you really did know it was malfunctioning and just wanted to rip yourself off and now have a change of heart You seem to jump to negative conclusions very rapidly about other people.

Apr 08, 2012 at 11:59 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 580EX problem, can't find on google

form wrote:
I have a 580EX that I purchased used (like 2 others I have) and at the time I didn't notice it was having an issue. I suspect now (months later) that the seller knew it had problems...

Why do you suspect that?

form wrote:
...Anyway. The problem is it refuses to fire off a charge less than about 1/4 power. In manual mode, at 1/128 power, it fires 1/4 power. At 1/64 power setting, it fires about 1/2 power. At 1/32 power setting, it fires full power. Any setting above that fires full power. It fires at these power levels with the test button or on-camera in manual. In eTTL mode on-camera, it consistently overexposes if the shot requires less than 1/4 power... Ever hear of this problem? Clearly I got ripped off by the seller...

Not clearly at all.

form wrote:
...but if anyone is familiar with it perhaps at least I can have some idea of what happened and possibly how to go about fixing it.

The power level of Canon Speedlites is varied by quenching the flash early, via a device called an Insulated Gate Bi-polar Transistor (IGBT). The IGBT gets its instructions from a logic circuit that gets information from either the camera's built-in flash meter or from the Manual Power Level setting.

If any of the circuits develops a fault, it can manifest in precisely the issue you describe. The only way to fix it that I know of is to replace the faulty circuit(s). A trip to Canon may cost less than getting a replacement flash, but a call to them would confirm that.

Good luck; I hope you can get it fixed without too much trouble.

Edited on Apr 09, 2012 at 12:34 AM · View previous versions

Apr 09, 2012 at 12:27 AM
jdben622
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 580EX problem, can't find on google

I'll bet half the people that have a 580 haven't used it less than 100%. Lots of people don't utilize all of the features of the equipment they own. From the limited information you've provided, it's hard to say that a seller "clearly knew" of a problem. Maybe you're just tired of bi@tching about how bad of an upgrade is the 5DIII and needed something new to gripe about?

Apr 09, 2012 at 12:33 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password