Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · 1DMk2 learning curve

Bsmooth
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 1DMk2 learning curve

I finally had a chance todays to get a little serious one on one time with my new 1DMk2. I was trying to take some images with a canon 70-200 F4 of flowers using F4 and playing with depth of focus. However the camera kept hunting all the time especially with a field of flowers. I had it on one shot, and not on tracking, but I'm still tring to figure out the many settings. I also had custom function17 activated because origianlly I was going to shoot Birds in flight and strangely enough I couldn't find any, they must have seen me coming.
What setting should I have it set on for flower images.
Yes I am reading the manual, but theres a lot to learn and a lot to miss as well, so bear with me.

Apr 08, 2012 at 12:11 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 1DMk2 learning curve

Are using centre-point AF?

Apr 08, 2012 at 12:17 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 1DMk2 learning curve

jcolwell wrote:
Are using centre-point AF?

Yes, a good way for max AF precision.

Edited on Apr 12, 2012 at 04:18 PM · View previous versions

Apr 08, 2012 at 12:36 AM
Fish On
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 1DMk2 learning curve

"I had it on one shot" - Did you try AI-Servo and center point focus?

Apr 08, 2012 at 01:22 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

slob

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 1DMk2 learning curve

Do a google search for EOS_Digital.pdf
It explains AF on the 1dMkii better than anything.

Apr 08, 2012 at 01:29 AM
northof50

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 1DMk2 learning curve

I have about 100k images on my MIIn. The camera is a monster at tracking moving objects [sports], but does tend to hunt on stills...particularly smaller objects [flag poles, flower stems, etc]. Your f4 lens may also limit the number of active cross sensors.

I have found the best "overall" focus, for me, is C. Fn 13 set to #1, C.Fn set to #1 & C. Fn 20 set to #3.

Also, as great as the focusing is on the MIIn, it really doesn't come to life until you hook up a 300 or 400 2.8. The combo is unbelievable. You can tell, when using one of these set ups, why so many pros used [many still do] the camera. It is like night/day when compared to all the other Canon lenses I've used.

Lastly, for whatever the reason, I've found that whenever I tried to use the focus button, rather than the shutter for focus, I had terrible focus luck. Don't know if it was my technique or the camera. But, my keeper rate jumped dramatically when I used the shutter release for focus.

Best of luck. It took me [and many of those to went to the camera at the time] a good few months to really understand the focus system. But, once mastered, it really is a great camera. Even after getting my MIV, I still like shooting the MIIn.

Best of luck

Apr 08, 2012 at 02:02 AM
EltonTeng
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 1DMk2 learning curve

Bsmooth wrote:
What setting should I have it set on for flower images.

how far away from the flowers were you?

Apr 08, 2012 at 05:39 AM
Bsmooth
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 1DMk2 learning curve

Probably around 6 feet.just about the minimum for the 70-200 lens with the shorter settings.

Apr 08, 2012 at 06:33 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password