Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · 1ds II vs 1ds III vs 5D III - AF, IQ?

form
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · 1ds II vs 1ds III vs 5D III - AF, IQ?

Those of you who have used these cameras and are familiar with the 5D series having issues with shadow noise might be able to help me consider the IQ questions...

The rest who have used at least two of these cameras and are familiar with the autofocus functionality might be able to help with the AF questions...

IQ questions: How are they at base ISO for file flexibility and dynamic range? How about at ISO1600, what type of noise is there in the shadows and how does it handle post-work that boosts shadows?

AF questions: How reliable are the AF points as compared to each other, including outer points and center point one-shot? What about AI Servo tracking? How much light does the camera need to lock focus effectively without AF assist? How accurate do you find them WITH AF assist? How about overall AF speed in light situations? Dark situations?

The reason I am asking is because I have been pushed by the 5D3's noisy shadows toward the Nikon direction, but Nikon is not a perfect solution and I know that I will/would miss my L lenses. Therefore, I am looking at alternatives on the Canon side that do not share the same ugly noise as the 5D3 but which still have extremely competent AF systems.

Apr 07, 2012 at 05:47 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · 1ds II vs 1ds III vs 5D III - AF, IQ?

Best bet is 5d3 but they are not much different in term of keeper plus IQ. There is nothing better than 5D3 after 3200 in canon current camp. All depend what you shoot...easy to say if you are landscape or one lens one camera shooter

Edited on Apr 07, 2012 at 06:15 PM · View previous versions

Apr 07, 2012 at 06:05 PM
Dave_EP
• • •
p.1 #3 · 1ds II vs 1ds III vs 5D III - AF, IQ?

I've owned lots of these bodies including the 1Ds2 ( I loved that camera!) and used / processed lots of shots from the 1Ds3. I've only played briefly with the 5D3 at a show and have zero 'real' experience with it.

The 1Ds2 was a great camera for it's time but I'd hesitate to use it at ISO1600 and above if you are going to be super critical of the shadow noise. The banding was not as bad as the 5D2 but it was certainly there for all to see once you had to push things beyond a stop or so. The 1Ds3 was better but still not free and clear of the banding issues.

I always found AF to be "satisfactory" on the 1D, 1D2, 1Ds2 and 1Ds3. I've been unhappy with the focusing on the 1D3 (sold quickly) and 5D2 (kept but now only use for video).

The AF outer points are still not as good as the centre / cross points but definitely beat the lower end models (10D-60D, 5D, 5D2 etc). Low light focusing is not their forté, but once you add focus assist they can pretty much focus on anything rational even in the dark.

The 5D3 I can't really comment on.

None of them could recover shadows or highlights like Nikon 14 bit raw files which lacks the Canon blotchyness of chroma noise and banding.

Where Canon shines is the easy of processing if you get the shot dead nuts on 'in-camera'. Auto white balance on Canon is (IMHO) still way ahead of Nikon (the D800 has improved greatly) although it's usually a few shades colder (blue).

Apr 07, 2012 at 06:15 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #4 · 1ds II vs 1ds III vs 5D III - AF, IQ?

Although your information is helpful, it is definitely not pushing me towards staying with Canon. I keep feeling that the files produced by Nikon sensors will allow me to take photos in a style I would not be able to duplicate with Canon, no matter how much I may be used to the lenses and certain focal ranges. It's a very difficult choice.

Apr 07, 2012 at 06:39 PM
jj_glos
• • •
p.1 #5 · 1ds II vs 1ds III vs 5D III - AF, IQ?

If you don't like the the 5D3 noise you won't like the 1Ds2, it suffers when pushing shadows also. I find the 1Ds2 AF on a par with the 7D if you have used one of those? (I've never had issues with the 7D AF).

If pushing shadows and the other attributes that the D800 bring will improve your photography or make you more money then it's an easy choice... if Nikon also provide the lens options that meet your needs?

Apr 07, 2012 at 07:04 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #6 · 1ds II vs 1ds III vs 5D III - AF, IQ?

The lenses I use most are 35 and 85, plus 24. I use 16-35 and 70-200 infrequently. Nevertheless, I read discouraging reviews lately about Nikon lenses having no character, being softer, having slower AF, missing focus....and it's really casting more doubt.

Apr 07, 2012 at 07:12 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

stanj
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · 1ds II vs 1ds III vs 5D III - AF, IQ?

Having owned all of those...

1Ds2 has biggest DR.
1Ds3 has the better AF than the 1Ds2, and better overall.
5D3 has best AF and IQ of the bunch, but can't keep up with build quality with the 1Ds3.

Apr 08, 2012 at 01:38 AM
kewlcanon
• • • •
p.1 #8 · 1ds II vs 1ds III vs 5D III - AF, IQ?

If you don't like Canon trademark banding why stay with Canon ?. I guarantee you'll be unhappy forever. Take the step and get some Nikon gear. I thnk it will make you happier less headache too.

Apr 08, 2012 at 01:42 AM
Sp12
• • •
p.1 #9 · 1ds II vs 1ds III vs 5D III - AF, IQ?

The 1DsII and 1DsIII are very similar in IQ below 800, and AF wise both of them were great. I really don't feel like there's appreciable differences in performance for anything I've done. Both eventually have issues pushing shadows.

5DIII I only got to use for an hour or so but easily bested both of them in about everything. If you have 3200$ go for the 5DIII, if just over 2K 1DsII. Though really I would just go Nikon.

Apr 08, 2012 at 01:43 AM
digitalbug30d
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · 1ds II vs 1ds III vs 5D III - AF, IQ?

thinks banding issues are the result of improper exposure,dont know why unless people really dont know how to propely expose a picture,or to radical of PP where you try for something that is beyond norm and it has to be the camera never the operator...go ahead flame me I am bored anyway...lol

Apr 08, 2012 at 06:23 AM
Daan B
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · 1ds II vs 1ds III vs 5D III - AF, IQ?

1Ds3 had shadow banding as well and amp glow too. The banding was harder to expose than with the 5D2 though.

I think that if you really need clean (pushable) shadows, you need to switch to Sony/Nikon sensors. You won't get this in Canon sensors.

Apr 08, 2012 at 06:46 AM
form
• • • •
p.1 #12 · 1ds II vs 1ds III vs 5D III - AF, IQ?

Although banding is not always an issue, sometimes there are one-time-only, heat-of-the-moment photos taken suddenly and without time to adjust exposure settings. These are some of the most important photos that I have to worry about exposure recovery for, and I would much rather keep them than have to throw them away because sometimes they are also some of the best shots.

I am particularly notorious for deleting photos in between work, and even after 90+ weddings I still miss lots of sudden emotional events because I seem to lack the ability to predict what's about to happen.

In short, I have personal limitations that increase the frequency - but which are not always responsible for exposure complications - of missed exposures.

Apr 08, 2012 at 02:09 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password