Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Frustrated Canon User

galenapass
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Frustrated Canon User

Recently I have become interested in using ALT glass, including but not limited to a small but very fine selection of Nikkor glass. IMO the 5DII produces beautiful images and images from this in combination with older glass look just great. Moreover, I find that Canon glass on the long end is more desirable due to a variety of lenses and the cost of some of the "older" lenses. For example, I was lucky to buy a mint version of the 500IS for a reasonable cost, much less than then Nikon 500VR. However, this year I am in charge of the photography at a Heritage Camp in June, and having sold my D700/24-70 I was intending to replace that with a 5DII/xx-70 combo.

Shots that I expect to make will be misc candids, but what I am most worried about are group photos. I will also have lot's of volunteer help.

With this intent I bought a 24-70L; it was soft on the left side. I returned this lens and got another copy; soft on the edges. Really disappointing performance. Next I ordered a EX copy of the 28-70L. This lens has very good reviews here on FM. Performance? - just terrible. Soft in the corners and never got up to par @ f/8 with a 50mm f/1.8 @ 1.8 in the middle.

I am used to the Nikon 24-70, crisp, contrasty with near or the same as prime performance. Does Canon actually make a decent zoom in this range?

Options:

1) try yet another 24-70/28-70
2) the heck with it, get an X-Pro1 or NEX7
3) get a Nikon 17-55mm (great lens) for my D300
4) try a Tamron with the 5DII
5) hope that the new 28IS will come out in time - I think this will be wide enough for group photos
6) just use my Nikkor 28AIS on the 5DII for group shots, 50mm and 85mm for everything else
7) forget about it and use my G11 and flash, or at least bring that as a backup to any of the above

What would you do?

Thanks for reading this long post.

Apr 07, 2012 at 04:39 PM
corndog
• • • •
p.1 #2 · Frustrated Canon User

Have you tried the 24-105? My old copy was great wide open at the wide end. I've had two 24-70s and didn't care for them much in the corners at any aperture at the wide end.

Apr 07, 2012 at 04:52 PM
Grantland
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Frustrated Canon User

i vote #3.

i had a nice 24-70L that was sharp.

Apr 07, 2012 at 04:55 PM
Scott T
• • •
p.1 #4 · Frustrated Canon User

corndog wrote:
Have you tried the 24-105? My old copy was great wide open at the wide end. I've had two 24-70s and didn't care for them much in the corners at any aperture at the wide end.

agree. The only advantage of the 28-70 I remember was weight and price - those have disappeared over time.

The 24-105 is a nice lens, and you probably won't miss the stop if you need the DOF for group shots anyways.

It fairly easy to find new ones liberated from the 5D3 kits, so they're a nice value as well.

I am very impressed with the 16-35 II - it is the best Canon wide zoom lens that I have used. The 35/1.4 is pretty awesome also.

Apr 07, 2012 at 05:31 PM
galenapass
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Frustrated Canon User

OK - perhaps I will look at the B&S board for a 24-105. I will miss the f/2.8 on my Nikon 24-70 though. The new 24-70L ver II offers promise, but really, do I have to pay that much for a good 2.8 zoom (probably won't get a copy in time anyway)?

Apr 07, 2012 at 05:37 PM
Ernie Aubert
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Frustrated Canon User

Have you seen this yet?
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1101750

Apr 07, 2012 at 06:05 PM
galenapass
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Frustrated Canon User

Ernie Aubert wrote:
Have you seen this yet?
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1101750

Yes, that is what prompted my post. If you read to page #2, you will find me complaining.

Apr 07, 2012 at 06:08 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · Frustrated Canon User

galenapass wrote:
Recently I have become interested in using ALT glass, including but not limited to a small but very fine selection of Nikkor glass. IMO the 5DII produces beautiful images and images from this in combination with older glass look just great. Moreover, I find that Canon glass on the long end is more desirable due to a variety of lenses and the cost of some of the "older" lenses. For example, I was lucky to buy a mint version of the 500IS for a reasonable cost, much less than then Nikon 500VR. However, this year I am in charge of
...Show more

a new 24-70 Mark II will be out shortly, Canon's projected MTF charts for it look WAYYYYYYYY better

Apr 07, 2012 at 06:10 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · Frustrated Canon User

galenapass wrote:
OK - perhaps I will look at the B&S board for a 24-105. I will miss the f/2.8 on my Nikon 24-70 though.

Don't look to the 24-105 as a savior, it's sharp in the center but not remarkably so by any means and many copies are not so good at all on FF edges, even at f/8 or f/10 on the wider end.

I tried two and both were worse than Tamron 28-75 and not even close to 24 1.4 II L (no, not even at f/8, especially not at the edges).

I'd look at the new Tamron 24-70 and new Canon 24-70 II. Just wait another month if you can.

Maybe the new 24 and 28 IS will be good. Not sure when they come out.

Apr 07, 2012 at 06:13 PM
galenapass
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Frustrated Canon User

June - I think - is when the 24/28IS will come out. That will be too late. Perhaps the 24L will be a good alternative. I know the new 24-70L looks good but since this is a hobby, I am drawing a line in the sand at that price point. If I have to pay over 2K for a good 24-70 - I'll buy Nikon just on principle (money aside).

Apr 07, 2012 at 06:36 PM
saneproduction
• • •
p.1 #11 · Frustrated Canon User

24L II or 35L are my favorite options. Stopped down for this use they are just amazing!

Apr 07, 2012 at 07:01 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · Frustrated Canon User

The Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC is supposed to ship later this month. They just might nail it...

Apr 07, 2012 at 07:11 PM
galenapass
• • • •
p.1 #13 · Frustrated Canon User

Thanks everyone for putting up with my complaints. I will hold off to see what Tamron has come up with. The 24 or 35L are readily available should I decide to go that route.

Apr 07, 2012 at 07:51 PM
jdben622
• • • •
p.1 #14 · Frustrated Canon User

24-70II promises to be a stunner. I agree that Nikon's current version is nicer than Canon's, but I think that's about to change big-time.

Apr 07, 2012 at 07:55 PM
Avi B
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · Frustrated Canon User

I'd just get the 17-55 on the D300 and call it a day.

Apr 07, 2012 at 09:45 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password