Upload & Sell: On
| p.1 #1 · Frustrated Canon User |
Recently I have become interested in using ALT glass, including but not limited to a small but very fine selection of Nikkor glass. IMO the 5DII produces beautiful images and images from this in combination with older glass look just great. Moreover, I find that Canon glass on the long end is more desirable due to a variety of lenses and the cost of some of the "older" lenses. For example, I was lucky to buy a mint version of the 500IS for a reasonable cost, much less than then Nikon 500VR. However, this year I am in charge of the photography at a Heritage Camp in June, and having sold my D700/24-70 I was intending to replace that with a 5DII/xx-70 combo.
Shots that I expect to make will be misc candids, but what I am most worried about are group photos. I will also have lot's of volunteer help.
With this intent I bought a 24-70L; it was soft on the left side. I returned this lens and got another copy; soft on the edges. Really disappointing performance. Next I ordered a EX copy of the 28-70L. This lens has very good reviews here on FM. Performance? - just terrible. Soft in the corners and never got up to par @ f/8 with a 50mm f/1.8 @ 1.8 in the middle.
I am used to the Nikon 24-70, crisp, contrasty with near or the same as prime performance. Does Canon actually make a decent zoom in this range?
1) try yet another 24-70/28-70
2) the heck with it, get an X-Pro1 or NEX7
3) get a Nikon 17-55mm (great lens) for my D300
4) try a Tamron with the 5DII
5) hope that the new 28IS will come out in time - I think this will be wide enough for group photos
6) just use my Nikkor 28AIS on the 5DII for group shots, 50mm and 85mm for everything else
7) forget about it and use my G11 and flash, or at least bring that as a backup to any of the above
What would you do?
Thanks for reading this long post.