New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · 5d3 v 5d2 center af point

twistedlim
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 5d3 v 5d2 center af point

For those who have had an opportunity to use both how do they stack up for single shot accuracy.

Edited on Apr 07, 2012 at 11:07 AM · View previous versions

Apr 06, 2012 at 11:36 PM
thedutt
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 5d3 v 5d2 center af point

No comparision in AI Servo, 5DIII, 90%+ keepers vs 5DII 40% under similar situation.

Otherwise also it appears that 5D III is much better but not technical tests were done.

Apr 06, 2012 at 11:44 PM
twistedlim
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 5d3 v 5d2 center af point

I am assuming the aiservo is better. I was wondering about single shot in standard af mode?

Apr 06, 2012 at 11:52 PM
DmitriM
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 5d3 v 5d2 center af point

5DIII is way better. I had 60 maybe 65% keepers(wide angle shots always had more oof than say telephoto) on 5DII
With 5DIII I get about 99% keepers.
It has 1D AF performance
A lot of 1DIII and 1D IV pro photographers are selling their 1Ds and getting 5DIII for a reason.

Apr 07, 2012 at 12:03 AM
bhollis
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 5d3 v 5d2 center af point

Haven't used a 5D2, but my 5D3's AF, both center and outer points, is significantly better than my 7D's.

Apr 07, 2012 at 12:20 AM
UCSB
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 5d3 v 5d2 center af point

My 5D3 is better than my 5D2. In single shot mode, I would say that, depending on the lens, it is 15% - 30% more accurate on the center point. It is a big deal. Overall, you are going to do much better than even that because you don't have to rely on the center FP.

Apr 07, 2012 at 12:35 AM
form
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 5d3 v 5d2 center af point

I wonder how many of the people who said a few months ago that the 5D2 had center point accuracy of 90%++ are now saying their 5D2 only had 60-70% hit rates compared to their new 5D3s...

Apr 07, 2012 at 01:04 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 5d3 v 5d2 center af point

form wrote:
I wonder how many of the people who said a few months ago that the 5D2 had center point accuracy of 90%++ are now saying their 5D2 only had 60-70% hit rates compared to their new 5D3s...

Not sure about that but I can say in the 3.5 years I've used a 5D2 the center point rarely misses. I mainly shoot landscapes, street and bar scenes in low light. My prior Elan 7NE, 10D and 20D were pretty terrible under similar low light. I'm sure the 5D3 is better for outer points and AI servo but if you need sharp images you work around the weaknesses and make the most of what it does well.

Apr 07, 2012 at 03:21 AM
Daan B
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 5d3 v 5d2 center af point

I highly doubt the 5D3 center AF point in One Shot is more accurate than the 5D2's.

Apr 07, 2012 at 03:42 AM
mgifotografie

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 5d3 v 5d2 center af point

Daan B wrote:
I highly doubt the 5D3 center AF point in One Shot is more accurate than the 5D2's.

+1.

Apr 07, 2012 at 03:55 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 5d3 v 5d2 center af point

My experience so far is that the center point in normal to good light is equal in single shot. In low light the 5D2 will lock earlier (but it is not always accurate), the 5D3 takes longer to lock but if it does it is accurate every time. Also the 5D3 does lock in lower light than the 5D2. I haven't done precise tests to see what EV value it can lock at compared to the 5D2.

When it comes to everything else, single shot outer points, AI Servo, etc.... I've never seen a camera perform this well but then I've never owned the 1D4 or 1Ds3. It makes the outer points on the 5D2 feel like something out of a Rebel and it makes the 7D feel just mediocre. As DmitriM said, it really is pushing close to 100% accuracy in high speed bursts and always in normal light single shot.

Apr 07, 2012 at 08:01 AM
jonbrach
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 5d3 v 5d2 center af point

what i noticed last night when i took the 5d3 out to a jazz club to take a few shots is not so much the center point is so much more accurate but that it locks on faster and takes the picture much quicker.....a different feel

Apr 07, 2012 at 08:19 AM
cameron12x
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 5d3 v 5d2 center af point

mgifotografie wrote:
+1.

+10.

My 5d2 center focus point RARELY misses in good light with static subjects.

It has been accurate 99% of the time (or better) for me and for my usage.

I can see the 5D3 only being very, very marginally better in that mode.

YMMV.

Apr 07, 2012 at 08:26 AM
ChrisRD
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 5d3 v 5d2 center af point

With spot-focus available I would suspect that the 5D3 single shot center point will be better in applications where there is a small target area...i.e. distant subjects like birds, an insect on a flower, etc. I found this a useful feature on the 7D and miss not having it on the 5D2 at times...

Apr 07, 2012 at 08:43 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 5d3 v 5d2 center af point

Spot focus is a great feature and does take one shot centre point to a new level. The thing with the 5D3 is is that now I can shoot it like I do my 7D where I use off centre point so I don't have to focus and recompose that can easily move the focal plane if you are working with a thin DOF. Much safer and more consistent results to use off centre points. With the 5D3 if you use one of the 41 points in dim light or one of the 61 points in good light it just works!!

Apr 07, 2012 at 09:04 AM
thedutt
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 5d3 v 5d2 center af point

jonbrach wrote:
what i noticed last night when i took the 5d3 out to a jazz club to take a few shots is not so much the center point is so much more accurate but that it locks on faster and takes the picture much quicker.....a different feel

+1. The difference is in speed and being accurate in situations that you would not expect mk ii to perform.

Apr 07, 2012 at 10:19 AM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 5d3 v 5d2 center af point

From the 5D3 specs the center point has twice the electrical sensitivity compared to previous 5Ds when using f2.8 or faster lenses. This may be significant in really low light situations. My experience with my 5D2 is that its center point has been better than 90% accurate; In single shot I trust it more than my 7D.

Apr 07, 2012 at 12:06 PM
WebDog
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 5d3 v 5d2 center af point

My old Mk2 was pretty good with center point AF... but it seems the Mk3 has smaller sized AF points, so it is easier to make it lock on the detail you want.

So far happy with the Mk3, despite the slight delay from focus confirmation in very dim light (and poor contrast).

Apr 07, 2012 at 01:09 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 5d3 v 5d2 center af point

Daan B wrote:

why not?

it has a totally different detector and a smaller DOF tolerance in firmware on top

Apr 07, 2012 at 03:10 PM
UCSB
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 5d3 v 5d2 center af point

This quote straight off of the the-digital-picture reflects my own experience with the 5D3 (the Focal creator he is quoting has been testing all modern Canon DSLR's with AF MA):

------

Sunday, April 01, 2012

Title: Reikan Focal Posts Update on Canon EOS 5D Mark III

Reikan has been working on adding Canon EOS 5D Mark III compatibility to their Focal software and shared some information on their Facebook page on Friday.

Especially interesting to me was this paragraph:

"The AF consistency on the 5D Mark III is the *best* I have seen on any camera I've tested with (which is quite a few now!). And it's better by quite a long way - only a few % deviation across 20 shots compared to, say, the 1Dmk4 which deviates by 10-15%."

-------

People doubting these kind of results really should purchase a 5D3 and test it themselves before insisting that it doesn't get any better than the 5D2. Common sense should tell you that Canon is designing AF systems now for high MP sensors that are going to be much more demanding on the AF system than the system in the 12 MP 5D (thus the system in the 5D2).

I think that there are really two discussions going on around this topic. Where some people are saying that they are getting great focus results (90%+, 99%, etc.) with the 5D2, I think that they are talking about at the entire frame level. So many of these images are slightly front or back focused, but the end result is good enough. What I and I think Focal are talking about is the ability of the AF system to consistently hit critically (accurate, correct) sharp focus for a given lens.

I guess since the AF systems are based on electronics, it is possible that a few 5D2 owners may have received cameras that for whatever reason just focus better than others. That may be another possible explanation for why people seem to think the system is operating much more consistently than my prior experience with the 5D2. I once owned a 40D that had irrationally great AF for the what other people were seeing with the system. So I think that I have seen this phenomenon myself once. Lens choice and performance can also highly influence perception and final results.

I think over time we will develop a clearer idea of how the 5D3 is performing.

Apr 07, 2012 at 05:14 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.