Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Timing for 5D mk ii buy

dm2010

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Timing for 5D mk ii buy

Hi everyone,

I am convinced the 5D mk iii is a great machine, unfortunately I cannot afford it. Therefore I am patiently waiting for the price of the mk ii (new) to come down. I do not want a used one as I will mainly it for timelapses, which mans thousands upon thousands of frames, something for which a new machine is much better.

I am following the mk ii prices and they do not move an inch. I was hopeful that after the 25th of March when the mk iii was finally available something would, but again no, same prices as usual. I do not want to be silly and proceed with a purchase, just to find out the day after that the price has gone down...

I would be interested to know your much appreciated opinion and suggestions on this subject.

Thanks
Dimitrios

Apr 06, 2012 at 10:56 PM
ryanpfleger
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Timing for 5D mk ii buy

There are low actuation used ones floating around out there. I sold one with 6500 clicks a few weeks ago. My guess is, if they haven't come down by now it may be awhile.

Apr 06, 2012 at 10:59 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Timing for 5D mk ii buy

I don't see 5DII prices coming down that much more for a while. People are already discovering there is minimal/no benefit in upgrading for certain fields that don't require the better AF system, and others like myself have decided against getting the 5D3 for other reasons (often related to the minimal sensor improvements).

Apr 06, 2012 at 11:00 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · Timing for 5D mk ii buy

I don't think new 5D2 bodies will be coming down more for quite a while. They are around $2000 now, and under $1800 for Canon re-furbs. Used are going from $1500 to $1800, and will probably go down a touch more as people continue sell off to buy the 5D3. Someone told me today that the 5D2 was still in the Canon line-up for the foreseeable future -- I'd don't know if that's true or wishful thinking.

If you want one, now is the time. I bought a nice used 5D2 a few days ago at a great price -- terrific IQ.

Apr 06, 2012 at 11:09 PM
kevinsullivan
• • •
p.1 #5 · Timing for 5D mk ii buy

I just pulled the trigger on a 5D II with 3K shots for $1600. Some have gone for cheaper on ebay, but most have come with 50K - 150K shots. While predictions are hard to make, especially when they're about the future, I'm guessing that I won't regret buying an all but new 5D II at this price. My guess, and that's all it is, is that if you can find a low-shot 5D II between 1600 and 1700, you have found a fair deal. Reburbs, which are generally very low shot machines with a warranty, are going for 1750 (when in stock at Canon), so 1600-1700 seems fair for a just-as-good used item from a trustworthy seller on FM. Watch out on EBay. You often get a little less than you bargained for.

Apr 06, 2012 at 11:16 PM
Fr3d
• •
p.1 #6 · Timing for 5D mk ii buy

You are tight on cash but want to buy only new? Get real and buy a 20k frames used one in good condition (like one from one of the rich switchers). It's the best you can do.

Apr 07, 2012 at 12:15 AM
mrhoni
• •
p.1 #7 · Timing for 5D mk ii buy

Rich switcher here. Actually happy spending my wife's money.
Have one on the buy and sell with about 3000 frames

Apr 07, 2012 at 12:46 AM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · Timing for 5D mk ii buy

I was thinking 1200 for awhile, btu I think they won't go too far below 1400 for the rest of the year.

Apr 07, 2012 at 02:34 AM
UCSB
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Timing for 5D mk ii buy

I think there is great demand for the 5D2 ... probably due to high price of 5D3. I don't think you will see any meaningful movement on the price. Eventually, they may be closed out, but that might not work either. I sold my very low click (3,xxx), perfect 5D2 for $1,800. Higher usage ones can be $100 to $200 cheaper. A refurb might be a possibility.

Apr 07, 2012 at 05:27 AM
David Baldwin
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Timing for 5D mk ii buy

Here in the UK the 5D3 is going for 3000, the 5D2 new for 1600.

If your main concern is pure IQ then the 5D2 represents massive value for money at this price point, and I doubt its price will come down further.

Apr 07, 2012 at 06:35 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

martynt

p.1 #11 · Timing for 5D mk ii buy

I've just bought a refurbed ebay 5D2 from Canon for 1250, which I thought was a steal. Worth a look.

Apr 07, 2012 at 10:38 AM
Daan B
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · Timing for 5D mk ii buy

5D3 is two times more expensive than the 5D2... that is the price for upgraded AF. If you don't need the upgraded AF, the 5D2 is great value. In the NL I see many 5D2 put up for sale because people need the money to finance their 5D3 purchase. Used prices are under pressure. New 5D2 prices have come down somewhat to around 1750,00 euros. I suspect it will take a while before they end up at 1500,00 euros. I don't think they'll end up lower than that.

Apr 07, 2012 at 10:52 AM
jj_glos
• • •
p.1 #13 · Timing for 5D mk ii buy

Mint low use 5D2's are going for 1100 second hand now, which is a fair drop from the 1450 we were seeing here before Christmas.

I've been asked to shoot my brothers sister in laws wedding at the end of the year, I'm undecided if I will but if I do I might look at a 5D2 nearer the date. That or rent one anyway.

Apr 07, 2012 at 11:08 AM
dm2010

p.1 #14 · Timing for 5D mk ii buy

Thank you everybody for your answers. As far as I understand, the price of the mk ii will not move down by much, at least not before the new ones dissappear from the market. I will seriously ponder over going for one very soon.

Apr 07, 2012 at 01:23 PM
cocosphere
• •
p.1 #15 · Timing for 5D mk ii buy

I think the 5D2's are currently suppressed price wise due to the switchers as others have mentioned. If you have the time to wait you can get a good deal on a hardly used camera. Brand new 5D2's have sold as low as $1800 recently from reputable dealers like Beach Camera through Ebay as well. I had the good fortune of getting a used 5D2 with 8K on the shutter and a cracked LCD cover for $1300. Keep your eyes open on the forums.

How much anything will cost you depends on how bad you want it and how quickly the seller wants to sell it. Take advantage of these prices while you can in my opinion, I don't think they will last for the short term once people either stop selling due to upgrading or new inventory runs out.

Apr 08, 2012 at 04:32 AM
fotojennik
• •
p.1 #16 · Timing for 5D mk ii buy

I just purchased a new 5d Mk ii today for $1,799.
Keep an eye out on SlickDeals.net (set a notification!) and BeachCamera has been alternating offering body only for 1,800 or kit for 2,450. Both decent deals, with the kit being an even better deal if you happen to want the 24-105 or can resell it for 800 or so

Apr 08, 2012 at 04:47 AM
ssc45
• •
p.1 #17 · Timing for 5D mk ii buy

When the refurb's had 15% off I got mine for $1495 plus tax and shipping. $1616 to the door with a warranty. As far as I could tell it was brand new. I tend to think that dealers were returning stock. I am enjoying learning this camera, but will never give up my 1d3. I will be buying a 1dm4 as the prices are coming down. I never thought I would buy a fullframe, but the price was right.

Cheers, Steve

Apr 08, 2012 at 03:46 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · Timing for 5D mk ii buy

I couldn't be more happy with my recent purchase of used 5D2. I bought mine from an FMer, in great shape, for $1545 with under 20k clicks.

I bought a like-new genuine grip from another FMer for $150.

The IQ is great and I love the features. Personally, I would take this set up over a 1ds3, in large part because of the video bonus. Naturally, build quality and ergonomics of the 1Ds3 is outstanding, but the 5D2 is more useful for me.

This should tide me over until the 5D3 prices come down or a significantly improved sensor/MP model is released.

Thanks FMers!

Apr 08, 2012 at 03:59 PM
Tom Dix
• • •
p.1 #19 · Timing for 5D mk ii buy

When I sell mine later this summer.

Apr 08, 2012 at 04:17 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password