New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Sigma 50 1.4 on Canon 5di ; Canon 1d Mark ii

wgman02

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sigma 50 1.4 on Canon 5di ; Canon 1d Mark ii

Good evening I believe I'm going to get a sigma 50 1.4 niether of my camera bodies 5di or 1d Mark ii have ma. Does anyone use this lens with these bodies I hear read that this lens has focus issues! I believe I like the build and extended warrenty over the Canon 50 1.4 which I hear has issues with af motor? I believe I'll buy from b&h or Adroma how are they about returns with the focus issues of the Sigma 50 1.4
Long Post Thanks

Apr 06, 2012 at 04:13 PM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sigma 50 1.4 on Canon 5di ; Canon 1d Mark ii

The "focus issue" IMO mostly stemmed from some lenses focusing differently at different distances. This cannot be corrected by MA.

The type of error that can be corrected by MA is not much more common than any other lens. For this lens, I highly recommend purchasing from amazon (free return if it does not focus properly), or from a member here with great feedback.

Apr 06, 2012 at 05:48 PM
wgman02

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sigma 50 1.4 on Canon 5di ; Canon 1d Mark ii

thanks

Apr 06, 2012 at 07:58 PM
wgman02

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sigma 50 1.4 on Canon 5di ; Canon 1d Mark ii

thanks

Apr 06, 2012 at 07:59 PM
juicer
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sigma 50 1.4 on Canon 5di ; Canon 1d Mark ii

I have used it a lot on the original 5D and it has been great. The great IQ from this lens is worth the risk of maybe getting a bad one. The new ones (newer finish on the lens body) have very few issues from what I understand.

Apr 06, 2012 at 08:05 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sigma 50 1.4 on Canon 5di ; Canon 1d Mark ii

There's people that buy the lens and it has to go back about 20 times to get it right. There's other people who get it right, right out of the box.

Apr 06, 2012 at 09:33 PM
samwise
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sigma 50 1.4 on Canon 5di ; Canon 1d Mark ii

I got it right out of the box, great lens on my 5D

Apr 06, 2012 at 10:45 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sigma 50 1.4 on Canon 5di ; Canon 1d Mark ii

SloPhoto wrote:
The "focus issue" IMO mostly stemmed from some lenses focusing differently at different distances. This cannot be corrected by MA.

Well it can be sorted with MA , but it takes some manual work on your part as well.
If you have a lens which displays different front/back focus at different distances it's best to log a an average setting that you can use when stopped down a bit as your 'default' setting in camera.
Then MA your lens at the differenT distances and make a note. The usual thing I see against the sigma 50/1.4 is that it's either fine under 12ft or fine over 12ft once you MA it.
So if you MA it below at say 10ft and 20ft and keep a note of the MA settings you can enter them in when you are working at those distances.

You can do the same sort of thing if you have a zoom that shows different MA at different focal lengths.
I have the MA function in my quick access menu so it's easy to get to.

I agree it's not ideal , but until we get a system where the body builds up a MA database of how a lens performs at different lengths and distances , it's better than nothing
I notice we are stating to go down this route with the system in the 1Dx

Apr 07, 2012 at 03:27 AM
jj_glos
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sigma 50 1.4 on Canon 5di ; Canon 1d Mark ii

Well I haven't used mine on the two bodies you mention, but I have used it on a 40D, 50D, 7D, 1D3 and 1Ds2. It has been consistent across all bodies and a great lens overall. I picked mine up for £240 second hand and consider it a right bargain with all the use it gets.

Apr 07, 2012 at 05:03 AM
robink

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sigma 50 1.4 on Canon 5di ; Canon 1d Mark ii

I bought the sigma last week. I also own a canon 50 1.4, but I was never happy with the lens, because of focus issues on my 1Ds II (which doesn't have micro adjustment).

I put the sigma on my 5D III and found out my copy was front focussing on subjects nearby. On further distances focus was right. After micro adjustment of +20, sharpness was a bit better when focussing nearby, but not perfect yet. When focussing on distant subjects, it was now very soft. I didn't want to be changing MA in the menu while shooting a wedding, so I took it back to the store.
The other two copies they had in stock had the exact same problem and I asked fo a refund.
When I came back home, I took my canon 50 1.4 from my closet and tried it. After some MA (+10), the lens seemed to be much sharper than the sigma. I'm very happy that the 5D III has MA, because I can now use my old lens again.

This doesn't mean that the sigma is a bad lens, it just means that the store had 3 bad copies and I didn't get a good first impression unfortunately.

Apr 07, 2012 at 11:34 AM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sigma 50 1.4 on Canon 5di ; Canon 1d Mark ii

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
Well it can be sorted with MA , but it takes some manual work on your part as well.
If you have a lens which displays different front/back focus at different distances it's best to log a an average setting that you can use when stopped down a bit as your 'default' setting in camera.
Then MA your lens at the differenT distances and make a note. The usual thing I see against the sigma 50/1.4 is that it's either fine under 12ft or fine over 12ft once you MA it.
So if you MA it below at say 10ft and 20ft and
...Show more

You are kidding, right?

I would rather use manual focus than deal with that nightmare. Send it in for calibration or get a new one if things are that bad!
(and my first copy would have been a >40ma swing)

Apr 07, 2012 at 02:16 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sigma 50 1.4 on Canon 5di ; Canon 1d Mark ii

I've used that lens on the first 5D, the 5D classic. Compared it to the Canon 50/1.4. Sig had a much better image wide open but a lower percentage of shots in focus. Significantly more Sig shots out of focus when used for fast-paced events work. Sig also struggled to lock focus (in one-shot mode) - and would give up trying - sometimes in dimmer light where the Canon would lock on accurately and quickly in the identical situation. And, in all lighting, the Canon was generally faster to lock whereas the Sig would often ratchet back and forth in very small steps before locking; the lock took longer.
I do feel I got a good copy of the Sig, though. I just think it's perhaps the nature of the lens as compared to Canon.

Apr 07, 2012 at 04:21 PM
Jay Adeff
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sigma 50 1.4 on Canon 5di ; Canon 1d Mark ii

I use my Sigma 50mm f/1.4 on exactly the two bodies you mentioned (5D and 1DMkII). It works perfectly on both of them with no focusing issue.

On the other hand, I borrowed a 5DMkII recently for a magazine photo-shoot, and I had to dial in +15 MA for the focus to be perfect. Go figure. Either way, I love the lens and it's my primary wedding lens.

Apr 07, 2012 at 06:58 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.