New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · 7D doesnt focus at times

cagester78

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 7D doesnt focus at times

Hi

Im having a hard time replicating the problem so i thought i might as well visit this forum and see if someone else has faced the problem im facing. I own a couple of 7ds and sometimes very randomly they stops focusing. Autofocus is obviously always on and it does focus and beeps as well.. but the focus box inside the camera (i always keep it to focus at the center box) doesnt blink red like it usually does when i focus. This usually happens on the wider lenses though.

At other times its just fine. Does anyone know what makes the red focus blink stop blinking

Thanks in advance

Apr 06, 2012 at 03:53 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 7D doesnt focus at times

Do you ever set the camera to AI Servo? It doesn't flash in that mode.

Apr 06, 2012 at 04:13 PM
cagester78

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 7D doesnt focus at times

no i didnt.. Its always in AI Focus

And in AI Servo it doesnt beep either..

Apr 06, 2012 at 04:17 PM
dwweiche
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 7D doesnt focus at times

cagester78 wrote:
no i didnt.. Its always in AI Focus

And in AI Servo it doesnt beep either..

I would wager if you randomly polled 100 regular FM contributors on the Canon forum, 100 of them would say they never use AI Focus. Don't rely on the camera to determine on its own if/when your subject starts moving.

Set you camera to one-shot. Does it now beep every time?

In Servo, it will NOT beep or give you a focus confirmation blink.

Apr 06, 2012 at 06:39 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 7D doesnt focus at times

Once AI Focus detects motion and switches to continuous focus mode you lose focus confirmation. Why? It never locks focus as it is always focusing. It will not revert back to one shot mode (with focus confirmation) unless you reset it. I agree 100% with dwweiche, lose AI focus and use either one shot or AI servo as needed. Letting the camera second guess your focus mode needs is a lesson in frustration (tried it and it suks green donkey stuff).

Apr 06, 2012 at 07:22 PM
cagester78

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 7D doesnt focus at times

Thanks for the comments guys.

Just one question: If the camera detects motion and switches to continuous focus mode, would i still get a beep?? Since i do get a beep when my problem happens and it doesnt beep in AI Servo. As i said before, its very random. Would happen once in like 10 days. Also most of the time its a stationary person since im shooting portraits mostly. And once it starts doing this, it would pretty much do this continuously for the entire shoot. Thus making me opt to focus manually via live view.

I have my focus on the AF On button and my shutter button just clicks which is why i never really bothered to go on to the One shot mode. That being said, the next time this problem happens, ill switch to ONE SHOT and see if it solves the problem. I still wanna hang on to AI Focus just to know if that is the reason why it happened.

Apr 07, 2012 at 02:59 AM
dwweiche
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 7D doesnt focus at times

cagester78 wrote:
Thanks for the comments guys.

Just one question: If the camera detects motion and switches to continuous focus mode, would i still get a beep??

As our friend from the Sandwich Islands said, you will lose focus confirmation, therefore it will not beep.

Apr 07, 2012 at 12:58 PM
cagester78

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 7D doesnt focus at times

dwweiche wrote:
As our friend from the Sandwich Islands said, you will lose focus confirmation, therefore it will not beep.

But mine beeps.. Only doesnt blink. Must be something else, right?

Apr 07, 2012 at 03:55 PM
cagester78

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 7D doesnt focus at times

So it was happening again today and i changed the focus mode to one stop but it still wouldnt focus ...but it would give a beep. I even turned the camera off and on again and it still would just beep but wont focus. So i had to manually focus just to be sure the shots were focused!

Any ideas what the problem is, guys

Apr 08, 2012 at 01:29 PM
Ramkat

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 7D doesnt focus at times

These type of intermittent problems are very hard to define and find due to all the variables involved. Might be better to have the technical people interrogate the camera fault memory.

Only time my 7D does not focus is if I am trying to focus on something that has very low contrast vs the background, example a brown bird against a brown background, then I move the focus point slightly to something that has contrast and get a focus lock and confirmation beep. I seldom move my focus setting off one shot and agree Servo mode is just too frustrating to use. As a bird photographer I use the beep to attract the birds attention to get it to look straight at me, might even push the button a few time to get its attention

Apr 08, 2012 at 01:49 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.