New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Best Setup for Copying VHS tapes to DVD

BobnJake
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Best Setup for Copying VHS tapes to DVD

Looking for the best setup for copying VHS tapes to DVD. I'm getting old & want to make sure that most of my VHS tapes are passed on to my family in the form of DVD's, this way they may look at them, as I know they won't / can't view any VHS tapes
Thanks,m Bob

Apr 06, 2012 at 12:43 PM
Brit-007
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Best Setup for Copying VHS tapes to DVD

The easiest and non technical way is to purchase a DVD player and recorder. You can get one for $100 or less. Hook up your VCR to it using RCA cables and follow the instructions on the recorder for formatting and recording. Whatever way you do it you will lose a little quality. It is the most direct way.

If the VHS tapes are copyrighted then you will have a problem.

Apr 06, 2012 at 02:20 PM
BobnJake
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Best Setup for Copying VHS tapes to DVD

Tx. These are all VHS tapes made through out my kids / grand kids growing up thru the years
I've heard about combined units made just for this purpose. But have no idea if one is better than another
Bob

Apr 06, 2012 at 02:35 PM
Brit-007
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Best Setup for Copying VHS tapes to DVD

They pretty much work the same. If you get an all in one then it is easier with no cables. It is a little pointless using your computer as it will take way more time as you have to import, edit export then burn. The all in 1 is the time.saver and the quality is not bad.

Apr 06, 2012 at 03:12 PM
jjgeis
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Best Setup for Copying VHS tapes to DVD

I like to import the VHS tapes into the computer & use software to clip out the bad or boring stuff, enhance the color a bit & sometimes lighten the original. My tapes are 20 years old & need a bit of TLC to make them look their best. I think I used a Pinnacle product to convert from the VHS player via RCAs to digital on the computer & also Pinnacle or Avid software. Check analog to digital converters for rating on Amazan or similar review sites.
Those tapes are precious memories & are worth some time, effort & dollars to save for you, your kids, & their kids.

Apr 18, 2012 at 06:37 PM
BobnJake
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Best Setup for Copying VHS tapes to DVD

I'm not interested in enhancing any of the tapes. Just copying them
I have so many to do. I'm thinking of just setting up something in a spare room and tv and just start the process and slowly eat away At all the tales. It would. be nice if I could set everything up and do it at my
Thanks again everyone for your ideas and thoughts

Apr 18, 2012 at 07:27 PM
capt don
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Best Setup for Copying VHS tapes to DVD

I just went to costco and bought a dvd--vhs player and it copies all our vhs tapes to dvd perfectly. I did have trouble when I went to copy a commercial vhs, the terminator to dvd and it said copyright protected and wouldn't copy but other than that it works fine for under $100 and you can sell it when your done

Apr 19, 2012 at 04:02 PM
BobnJake
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Best Setup for Copying VHS tapes to DVD

Can I ask what model etc. I have a costco nearby
Thanks

Apr 19, 2012 at 08:14 PM
OneLightStand

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Best Setup for Copying VHS tapes to DVD

Although it may have been my technical ineptitude, be sure that the copied DVD is not proprietary to the brand of DVR used to record.

I bought a Sony DVR recorder (100.00 @ Costco) and after copying my VHS tapes they could only be played back on the same DVR, my computer would not recognize the DVD's, I presumed it had something to do with the encoding. I even tried another Sony player I had, but it too didn't play the disc.

Costco also provides a copying service for tapes which worked out better, although it would be more expensive dependent on how many tapes you are converting.

Apr 22, 2012 at 08:47 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.