Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · "Lost" files on memory card.

petersumpter

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · "Lost" files on memory card.

The following is baffling me slightly......
I shot some images yesterday morning, These I reviews several times on the camera preview screen. Camera was switched on and off several times whilst I showed these images to some people. I had a few images from two days earlier which I then carefully manually deleted.
I then went on to take another half dozen shots, and then discovered that I couldn't preview the ones I had shot earlier(around 20 images). I changed the memory card and continued.
When I got home, the card showed that it had those 6 images I had taken in the "second phase" amounting to around 150meg although the card properties said that just over 600 meg of the card had been allocated.
Simple thought was to run a file recovery, which I did, although this only found the images that I had manually deleted in the morning......no trace anywhere of the earler images. I tried alternative software recovery and the same thing...no sign of those missing!!!! Its like they simply were never on the card, although they were, as they were previewed.

The camera is a 5D mk2. Has anyone else had issues like this or can anyone offer any guidelines as to what might have happened to those lost files.....

Details: It is a 4Gig memory card
On the properties for the drive it says: 3.77 Gig capacty
693 meg used
3.11 Gig Free
Although when the drive is opened only 145 meg is allocated
Is the data recovery software ignoring these missing megs which "might" be where my files are

I do usually format a card before shooting, although not on this occasion.

thx

Peter S

Apr 06, 2012 at 08:48 AM
omarlyn
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · "Lost" files on memory card.

Hmmm…I have no idea why you were able to recover some images but not all (perhaps a badly corrupted card) but it's always possible that your file recovery program didn't 'find' everything that was still there. In the past I've used the following (free) programs very succesfully on a variety of files:

Smart Recovery
This one will search for image files only.

If that doesn't work, try doing a deep scan for all files using File Recovery

Good luck…give us an update if you discover the cause of the problem and/or recover the files.

Omar

Apr 07, 2012 at 01:48 PM
DaveOls
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · "Lost" files on memory card.

I got Rescue Pro from Sandisk and was amazed that it worked on Lexar cards that lost images. I believe it is about $ 25/yr. I tried a few of the free programs, but none worked.

DaveOls

Apr 09, 2012 at 10:48 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.