Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · New owner of a 1DMk2, good accessories?

Bsmooth
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · New owner of a 1DMk2, good accessories?

Thanks to FM member E.Beecroft I am the new owner of his 1DMk2. I'm coming from a 20D, and woud like to know some good suggestions for lenses, a comfortable strap, and batteries(canon or aftermarket) for my camera.
What amazes me is all the buttons and how many options there are. I am also in the process of setting it up for HDR images. I think I'll set it for 1.5stops between each image and set the special function button(I think its #8) but not sure to capture 5 frames.
So let me know what you think.
So far I don't have a landscape lens, was thinking of the 17-40. I tried out the camera witha 1002.8 macro and the shutter speed is so quick yikes.Also the fact each focus point lights up when focusing is really cool.
Lots of discovering to do yet though.

Apr 06, 2012 at 11:35 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · New owner of a 1DMk2, good accessories?

I suggest you get Lenmar batteries and a Domke Gripper 1.5" strap. Also, read these:

1DII firewire name EOS Utility http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1082270

Getting the Most from your EOS 1-Series Camera www.jcolwell.ca/ftp/EOS_Digital-Getting-the-most.pdf
[was http://www.usa.canon.com/content/Handling/EOS_Digital.pdf ]

Sports Illustrated Photo http://www.siphoto.com/?canon1DM2.inc

Apr 06, 2012 at 11:39 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · New owner of a 1DMk2, good accessories?

+1 on the Lenmars

Apr 06, 2012 at 11:41 AM
reno.peterson
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · New owner of a 1DMk2, good accessories?

trenchmonkey wrote:
+1 on the Lenmars

Try to replace the battery caps/latches from the original Canon batteries to the Lenmar's for a better true fit also.

Apr 06, 2012 at 11:58 AM
CarlG
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · New owner of a 1DMk2, good accessories?

An RRS L-plate.....oh, I do have one for sale!

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1100394/0?keyword=x#10498369

Apr 06, 2012 at 12:12 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

explorerhv
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · New owner of a 1DMk2, good accessories?

+1 on the Lenmar batteries, really like the RRS L bracket too, that needs a good ballhead, like the RRS products for that also

i use the Eye Fi SD cards for wifi transfer if that application is needed

glass is where i would spend as lavishly as you can - if you can invest in good glass, it will carry over through several bodies

focal length somewhat dependent on what you are concentrating on...

i started with a 50 1.4, added the 17-40 next but i needed wide

70-200 one of the best lenses i own, i have had them all and loved them all, the new II series is noticeable faster focusing even on the 1d2, but it is pricey, and hard to justify the additional cost unless you are producing income from the purchase

24-70 is the lens that stays on most of the time, 135 is a favorite for event work

been shooting the 1d2 for 5 years, through a new shutter replacement, and have loved it - studio, landscape, event, wedding, sports, print on a Canon 44 inch 8300 printer, no complaints, would love more resolution for larger prints, have been stitching when i know i will print big ...

hope you get as much satisfaction as I have out of this jewel - i had a 20d too, and the jump up is significant - 1 series rules!

Apr 06, 2012 at 01:29 PM
jasonpatrick
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · New owner of a 1DMk2, good accessories?

1dII is a whole new world coming from an xxD series. As far as accessories, +1 to everything jcolwell said. Read the articles. I learned a ton from them. Lenmars are great for back-up batteries.

Play with the AF tracking settings (single point, 7 point expansion ect.) and AF tracking speed until you're happy with your results. Assume that if you're having a problem, that it's you, not the camera.

The firewire cord is a big deal, because in order to change the old owners name to yours, and have several other custom functions set, you need to do it on a computer with camera hooked up via firewire. You don't need to do this often...you can probably just borrow a cord if you don't have one.

I have the 17-40, and it's a great lens on the 1D. It's obviously not as wide as it would be on full frame.

It's a heavy camera - even compared to a 20D and a grip, but it's worth every penny.

Apr 06, 2012 at 02:03 PM
Bsmooth
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · New owner of a 1DMk2, good accessories?

Which special function button do I need to set to change bracketing from the standard 3 to 5 or 7? I know you have to do it through the EOS utility, but I just looked at that Sports Illustrated list and didn't see the function listed. I thought it was button #8.
The other thing is which cable to get,I have an older PC running XP 32bit and it has one of those front card readers but the 1394 port has only 4 connection, so I ordered a 4 pin to 4 pin cable, and hopefully it will work.

Apr 06, 2012 at 02:16 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · New owner of a 1DMk2, good accessories?

Bsmooth wrote:
Which special function button do I need to set to change bracketing from the standard 3 to 5 or 7? I know you have to do it through the EOS utility, but I just looked at that Sports Illustrated list and didn't see the function listed. I thought it was button #8.

It's Personal Function 8. Do you have a manual? If not, you should be able to download one from Canon US.

Apr 06, 2012 at 02:22 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password