Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines
One new topic per day

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · A Few From Death Valley

another_mikey
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · A Few From Death Valley

So I took my first trip to Death Valley with my wife in March. it is an amazing place. We tried to hit many of the iconic locations, but we didn't have a vehicle that could get to the Racetrack, we missed sunset from Dante's View by a couple minutes, my sunrise on Mesquite Dunes was clouded over, and we had 50 mph gusting winds at Badwater for sunrise. In spite of all that it was a fun trip, and while I would have liked more keepers I got a few I liked. I definitely want to go back too.

Zabriskie Morning, Manly Beacon Closeup

Zabriskie Gully Detail:

Mesquite Dunes Cloudy Morning:

Thanks for looking and giving any comments.

ML

Apr 06, 2012 at 05:47 AM
stanparker
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · A Few From Death Valley

Good series, especially the first.

Apr 06, 2012 at 11:24 AM
unclechuck
• • •
p.1 #3 · A Few From Death Valley

"Striking" and "Dramatic" are much over-used, but not here: Esp #1.

Good Shootin' --- these really pop.

Apr 06, 2012 at 11:53 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Camperjim
• • •
p.1 #4 · A Few From Death Valley

I like the first one best. I have found that the more photography I do the more I am sensitized to a couple of issues. First even a slightly slanted horizon line becomes annoying. Zabriskie is tough because everything slants. This looks pretty good to me but you might see if raising the right side a tad helps it. Next I have become overly sensitive to blown out areas. I don't think the white sky adds anything to this image. I would crop out about half of it. I spite of my nitpicking, I do think this is a very good image.

#3 is my least favorite - don't like the footprints. I walked for miles and miles to find areas that had not been trampled. To avoid this clutter you may need to walk to the dunes from another area besides the main parking lot. I even did a 2 mile walk in from the Stovepipe historic well. It is a great walk and hardly anyone does it.

I certainly understand the frustration of having limited time and less than ideal conditions. I am sure you will be back again. I know I was very surprised with the beauty of DV.

Apr 06, 2012 at 01:41 PM
gschmickle
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · A Few From Death Valley

I really like that first shot. I do think it would be improved by either using an ND grad filter or shooting multiple exposures to blend later in order to keep the upper portion of the image from washing out.

Apr 06, 2012 at 02:31 PM
another_mikey
• • •
p.1 #6 · A Few From Death Valley

Thansk for all the comments!

CamperJim - thanks for the excellent feedback. Yes I think you are correct, perhaps a slight horizon fix on #1, and I will play with cropping out some more off the top as suggested. The footprints in #3 really bothered me too, but after I finally got up to the dunes I didn't have enough time (or energy ) left to try to get over to a clear area. I even had a woman come on up and stand right in front of my tripod as I was setting up a shot, even though there were plenty of other views and vantage points. I guess that's DEVA for ya But yes, the footprints are a bummer and next time I will try to do whatever I can to find some clear sand to shoot.

gschmickle - Thanks for the input. This shot actually IS one of a set of 3 that I bracketed and was planning on possibly using an HDR treatment on just for the reason you mentioned. For whatever reason I just didn't like any of the results I was pulling out of the 3 image stack as much as this single exposure. I had some ND grads in the bag too but spent so much time fiddling with where to stand and what to frame I kinda ran out of time to get those deployed. More good points to try to improve upon next time.

stanparker - Tnx! In spite of some of the issues I really like #1 2 - it is my favorite capture from the trip

unclechuck - Tnx!

ML

Apr 06, 2012 at 02:56 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password