Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Which TSE 45 or 90?

bbasiaga
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Which TSE 45 or 90?

I'm starting to plan my next lens purchase. It takes me a while to save up so I've got some time to plan. I think what I want is a tilt-shift. I'm looking to do some of the cool stuff with perspective control, maybe some miniatureization, and also some macro work...mainly this will be a lens to let me play around. Since it will be a toy, i dont want to shell out for the 17 or 24 canons. I can more easiy convince myself to go with the 45 or 90.

The 45 seems on the surface to be more versatile, but I've read it may not be too good optically How is the 90?

I'm hoping users of each can chime in with their experience, an maybe some sample photos. I wish I could rent them, but unless go to the internet sites it wont be possible since te local shops dont have them.

-Brian

Apr 06, 2012 at 01:46 AM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Which TSE 45 or 90?

If you are looking to save some money, subscribe to the lensrentals.com RSS feed. They've had the TS-E 45 and 90 up for sale recently. Actually, they still have one of each listed right now.

I have both. You'll get more of a miniaturization effect with the 45, but the 90 is better for near macro type work because of its close focusing ability, and you can use both with the extension tubes and teleconverters. The issue IMO with the 45 is quite strong CA, which is difficult to correct correctly if the lens has been shifted because the degree of CA is stronger in the corners closer to the edge of the image circle. Otherwise I think the 45 is decent, and despite the CA, tend to use it more than the 90. And the 90 has a nice quality and is sharp enough. That said, I use the 17 more than both.

Keep in mind the effect of the tilt function is stronger the wider the lens, and the farther away the subject is. Therefore, while the tilt of the 90 can be useful for near-macro work to keep focus along a plane not parallel to the sensor, the degree of tilt off parallel will not be as much as you might think at close distances.

Apr 06, 2012 at 02:08 AM
Paratima
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Which TSE 45 or 90?

I have all of the original three and use them mainly for in-studio catalog work. My choice is dictated by the size of the object and the size of my studio (tiny). Because of that, the 45 gets the most use. All three are excellent for closeup work and the 24 is great for landscapes.

I would love to have the 17 or the new 24, but haven't been able to justify the cost, based on the performance I already get with the older lenses. Strictly for playing, I'd probably choose the 90, but the 45 sure is a useful length for production photography.

Apr 06, 2012 at 02:19 AM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Which TSE 45 or 90?

I just realized I have a few images in one of my Photoshelter galleries done with the 45 for the miniaturization effect:

And this one to get two different distances in focus:

In case the images don't show up, the gallery page links are:

http://ronscheffler.photoshelter.com/gallery-image/2006-FIFA-World-Cup/G0000DwKZluMHZAE/I00005FtzSlo2YwY

http://ronscheffler.photoshelter.com/gallery-image/2006-FIFA-World-Cup/G0000DwKZluMHZAE/I0000Wdv35.jLfGw

http://ronscheffler.photoshelter.com/gallery-image/2006-FIFA-World-Cup/G0000DwKZluMHZAE/I0000t25YcgmIEM4

http://ronscheffler.photoshelter.com/gallery-image/2006-FIFA-World-Cup/G0000DwKZluMHZAE/I0000Klv98MhzgrM

Apr 06, 2012 at 02:59 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password