Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2012 · What happened? - how this hobby changed you

thedutt
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · What happened? - how this hobby changed you

In the past 9 years that I have enjoyed photography, it has changed me in many ways. Share yours if you would like, my top "surprises" include:

1. Waking up at 5am @ Grand Tetons / Yellow Stone/ Arches to catch the first light
  2. 300D + 17-40 and 70-200 F4 on double rebate NOT being my gear for life
  3. Randomly taking photos of strangers, wandering downtown late at night, being sober and enjoying the party chaos all around
  4. Seeing homeless/ people living at the edge of society through an entirely new perspective
  5. Observing animals for extended duration and seeing their personality
  6. Do 4k+ transactions with random people on craigslist
  7. Lastly, taking my wife and kiddo to a great pond to see birdies - only to discover its a bio solids management plant and STILL have a great time

Apr 05, 2012 at 10:48 PM
Monito
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · What happened? - how this hobby changed you

I think your question is misplaced in the Canon forum and should be in another.

As to changing me? I took it up over 40 years ago when I was a young boy, so it has changed everything and everything has changed and there is no disentangling the two.

Apr 05, 2012 at 11:29 PM
PasiM
• •
p.1 #3 · What happened? - how this hobby changed you

300D makes this relevant.

Apr 05, 2012 at 11:32 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · What happened? - how this hobby changed you

PasiM wrote:
300D makes this relevant.

Well I guess the question only applies to Canon users then.

Apr 05, 2012 at 11:39 PM
Hammy
• • • •
p.1 #5 · What happened? - how this hobby changed you

Buying a 200/1.8 to shoot my daughter's gymnastics...and not even owning a Canon body!?!?

Followed by a few months later... putting my name on a list for the newly released Canon EOS 1D (Mark nothing... the first one). Then getting an email saying that it had shipped ... and having to explain to my wife how my hobby just cost $10K in a very short period of time.

Luckily, later that year, we started our business, I quit my day job and we've been growing ever since (10+ years ago)

Apr 05, 2012 at 11:51 PM
eskimochaos
• • •
p.1 #6 · What happened? - how this hobby changed you

$12000 less in my wallet in less than 6 months of shooting.

Apr 06, 2012 at 12:01 AM
thedutt
• • •
p.1 #7 · What happened? - how this hobby changed you

Hammy wrote:
Buying a 200/1.8 to shoot my daughter's gymnastics...and not even owning a Canon body!?!?

Followed by a few months later... putting my name on a list for the newly released Canon EOS 1D (Mark nothing... the first one). Then getting an email saying that it had shipped ... and having to explain to my wife how my hobby just cost $10K in a very short period of time.

Luckily, later that year, we started our business, I quit my day job and we've been growing ever since (10+ years ago)

NIce... I hope to follow your model on growing the business after expensive gear purchase ;-)

Apr 06, 2012 at 12:09 AM
Breitling65
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · What happened? - how this hobby changed you

Are you student with lots of time for facebook posts? Wait until you will be getting job in one of the large corporations, your life will become 1. job. 2. job 3. job.

Edited on Apr 06, 2012 at 12:13 AM · View previous versions

Apr 06, 2012 at 12:11 AM
thedutt
• • •
p.1 #9 · What happened? - how this hobby changed you

Monito wrote:
I think your question is misplaced in the Canon forum and should be in another.

As to changing me? I took it up over 40 years ago when I was a young boy, so it has changed everything and everything has changed and there is no disentangling the two.

Good to hear that its intricately fused forever. Its in this forum room purely since i hang out here and shoot canon and am familiar with some of the Avatars and personalities behind them :-). Feel free to move it if its inappropriate.

Apr 06, 2012 at 12:11 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · What happened? - how this hobby changed you

Unless you're a late starter, many of us, myself included, started shooting as young kids, so it's impossible to know how or what changed. However, if I wasn't doing photography, I'd be doing something artistically similar--painting, drawing, acting, writing--so I'd probably be almost the same person. I fondly recall my beginnings with my father's old Zeiss camera and my Sears condenser enlarger. Seeing the prints appear in the trays was more fun than shooting after the exacting and long ritual of loading tanks, developing, washing, drying, etc. The PP is so much easier now I actually spend more time shooting than back in the day.

Incidentally, my first SLR--bought with paper route money--was a Miranda F (!).

Edited on Apr 06, 2012 at 12:28 AM · View previous versions

Apr 06, 2012 at 12:27 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

big country
• • • •
p.1 #11 · What happened? - how this hobby changed you

it went from a hobby to a career and lifestyle.

Apr 06, 2012 at 12:28 AM
CalW
• • •
p.1 #12 · What happened? - how this hobby changed you

Fifty seven years of photography has made it possible for me to see what I am looking at.

Apr 06, 2012 at 01:10 AM
PeaktoPeek
• • •
p.1 #13 · What happened? - how this hobby changed you

I went from drinking beer and playing golf to starting hikes at 3 am, backpacking with 50lbs of gear and (at one point) owning 18 lenses. I started with film and I was terrible photographer, 10 years later I am almost decent.
Paul

Apr 06, 2012 at 02:08 AM
veroman
• • • •
p.1 #14 · What happened? - how this hobby changed you

First, it taught me to see. Then it taught me to trust what I see. Finally, it taught me to see that everything is a picture. "f/8 and be there," a great photographer once said.
- Steve

Apr 06, 2012 at 02:19 AM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · What happened? - how this hobby changed you

This hobby didn't change me . What did change then? The hobby did into a passion from just a mere hobby. I hope it stays there rather than changing further into obsession .

Apr 06, 2012 at 02:21 AM
leftymgp
• •
p.1 #16 · What happened? - how this hobby changed you

Heh, not too long ago I was trying to explain to a friend who wasn't into photography what made one thing worth 10x the price of another seemingly equivalent thing (let's say 50mm 1.8 vs. 50mm 1.2L). I couldn't quite articulate why paying so much for silly camera toys (I know some of you are pros, but they're camera toys to me) made any sense at all. I could only just say that at some point it just does.

Apr 06, 2012 at 03:08 AM
lhryshko
• • •
p.1 #17 · What happened? - how this hobby changed you

Buying a 200/1.8 to shoot my daughters gymnastics........and finding FM.

Now, I'm ruined.

Apr 06, 2012 at 04:30 AM
pizdets17
• • •
p.1 #18 · What happened? - how this hobby changed you

Coming back from holidays with 500 pics from my point and shoot, deleting 495 of them. Spending $10k+ in less than 7 months and now taking photos of anything that moves. And anything that doesn't move. It started with "honey we need better vacation pics". Then proceeded to sell about 17 firearms in favor of camera gear.. Now everything I look at has meaning of some sort, I look at the sky all the time vs never before, all my surroundings just seem alive now.

Apr 06, 2012 at 04:57 AM
Hammy
• • • •
p.1 #19 · What happened? - how this hobby changed you

lhryshko wrote:
Buying a 200/1.8 to shoot my daughters gymnastics........and finding FM.

Now, I'm ruined.

It's worth it... see if anybody can follow my logic:

200/1.8: $5000
Canon 1D: $5500
Starting a business: ALOT more than listed above!

Having your 7yr old daughter (#3 of 4) follow in your footsteps:

PRICELESS!!!

Apr 06, 2012 at 05:24 AM
lhryshko
• • •
p.1 #20 · What happened? - how this hobby changed you

It's a Cinderella story, complete with the glass.........

And, if I'm following your logic correctly, the next step is to quit my job.

Hmmmmmm..........

Apr 06, 2012 at 05:39 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password