Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Two Amaryllis Flowers--Are they improved?

lycale
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Two Amaryllis Flowers--Are they improved?

I posted the first flower a few days ago, and since nobody commented on it, I assume it wasn't very good. I tried to improve it, and I hope it is better.

I have also posted a second amaryllis photo. As always, I SO much appreciate your comments and helpful advice. Thanks in advance.

Lynn

Apr 05, 2012 at 09:42 PM
PaulCal
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Two Amaryllis Flowers--Are they improved?

Not much of a floral shooter myself but here goes. The second one is more pleasing to me I would say becuz the face of the flower is facing the camera and that works well with f5. The first would have been better at a little narrower DOF perhaps f10 which would have sharpened up more of the flower, and I think the exposure is spot on for the first

However they are pleasing to the eye just the same

Paul

Apr 05, 2012 at 09:54 PM
David Leask
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Two Amaryllis Flowers--Are they improved?

Beautiful shots Lynn. Lovely colours and detail.
David

Apr 05, 2012 at 10:28 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Two Amaryllis Flowers--Are they improved?

Hi Lynn,

I enjoy doing flowers and this is the time to do them. I like the first a lot more as itís got great detail and is taken at a nice angel. Your exposers look very good as is the sharpness and DOF.

Morris

Apr 05, 2012 at 11:02 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Two Amaryllis Flowers--Are they improved?

It's the second shot for me Lynn. It's very nice, but I'd like to see more room on the left, and less on the right because the bud is facing left. On the first shot, I can't decide if I like the flower facing away or not. AS is, the comp is nice though ~ Ron

Apr 05, 2012 at 11:15 PM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Two Amaryllis Flowers--Are they improved?

#1 for me. I like the comp better. Good work.

Apr 06, 2012 at 12:45 AM
CDaescher
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Two Amaryllis Flowers--Are they improved?

Two beautiful images, Lynn.
I love the almost transparent look of the leaves in the second image.
But I do agree with Ron, the small flower on the left needs a bit more room. Very easy to fix with the white BG.
Chris

Apr 06, 2012 at 08:07 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Two Amaryllis Flowers--Are they improved?

very nice Lynn.. #2 is my favorite

Apr 06, 2012 at 11:49 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Two Amaryllis Flowers--Are they improved?

Hi Lynn, struggle with the floras myself, but your shots are very nice. The last one is my favorite.

Birdie

Apr 07, 2012 at 12:29 AM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Two Amaryllis Flowers--Are they improved?

Don't take this wrong Lynn but you might be working too hard on a few shots that just are going to 'clik' into place IMO..........and as you know it is only my opinion

Why?
#1 Color balance is off, way blue, creamy whites are not creamy white and greens don't snap as they should. WB issue shows strongly on the BG as blue. Framing is maybe a bit too dainty and not locking our attention to the flower.
The flower face facing left is a beautiful one! The flower behind it for me is taking my attention off the subject flower and not doing anything for me, IMO it should not be in this image
Image attached...........for view purposes only, WB added yellow and added red. Selected the flowers then desaturated color from BG then simply darkened to what I thought made the flowers look better Border changed.

#2 WB but not as bad as #1. Could work better with bolder border maybe, the extra bloom just IMO doesn't work for this pretty flower. Could work in a simple square crop but would need to simplify and eliminate the bloom.

OK, sounds harsh but it isn't Just look at these and where do your eyes immediately go............then concentrate on that and anything else can be removed or darkened or more distant. Here I think these need to be as simple as can be, the Amaryllis is such a stunning flower by itself, don't take from it The bloom in this one points me away from the subject flower.

Sharpness is super, light is nice on both Lynn

Edited on Apr 11, 2012 at 12:13 AM · View previous versions

Apr 07, 2012 at 03:46 AM
lycale
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Two Amaryllis Flowers--Are they improved?

I thank everyone of you so, so much for your thoughtful words and your advice! I would have gotten back to you sooner, but I was away for the weekend.

As always, your suggestions are incredibly helpful--and Karl, I thank you for reworking my shots. Believe it or not, I actually had put in a blue background in the first shot, making the blue WB even more blue. I can't make up my mind about the second flower in the first shot. Part of me doesn't like it and part of me thinks it adds a kind of sculptural quality to the photo. I definitely think, as suggested, I need to fix the cropping in both the photos.

Again, a million thanks to all of you for taking the time to look, to respond, and to help.

Lynn

Apr 10, 2012 at 04:43 PM
Conrad Tan
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Two Amaryllis Flowers--Are they improved?

#1 for me Lynn! I like Karl's edits. He's the man when it comes to this stuff.

Apr 10, 2012 at 06:20 PM
anthony whitmo
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Two Amaryllis Flowers--Are they improved?

Hey Lynn

I agree that that white balance is off with a blue cast to the images
Just as equally they look over sharpened to my eye
They look brittle and crispy

Karl is the floral feminato of the group so you can listen to him most of the time

Ant

Apr 10, 2012 at 08:18 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password