Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Lens repair UK

Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lens repair UK

OK so I thought I got away with it , a while back my 24-105L dropped from my bag . only damage at the time seemed to be a slight mount ding which mad the lens a little tight to mount.
Not the biggest issue in the world and I was going to just replace the mount at some point.

But yesterday the lens started to play up. it will now sometimes stop AF'ing . at times it worked without issue , but then would just refuse to AF. either zooming back and forth and/or twisting the focus ring would bring it back to life. The IS unit seems to function no problems.

so my guess is the AF drive has some damage

Now where to send it here in the UK?
I have a list of UK centres from the canon web site.
does anyone have a centre to recommend for both quality of work and price (I hope it wont cost me a fortuneray
I know fixation in London would handle it , but Ive heard they are not as cheap as some other places (is this correct?)

also the lens is out of warranty so are their any independant repair shops that could handle the lens for less?

Apr 05, 2012 at 05:32 PM
RichWood
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lens repair UK

I used H Lehmann a couple of years ago for some warranty work for my 1D3, they were fine to deal with.

No idea on pricing as I didn't have to pay for mine.

Apr 05, 2012 at 05:43 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lens repair UK

thanks,
any other suggestions?

I had a qucik browse this morning and found Euro Hi-Tech Photographic Services Ltd. . filled out the web estimate form.
Has anyone used them? are they any good?

Apr 06, 2012 at 01:04 PM
edean
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lens repair UK

Hi Ian

I've used fixation to repair a 100-400 I dropped, they did a superb job on the repair, lens came back basically new.
Cheers Euan

ahh - just saw you know about fixation. well they have my recommendation anyway. I seem to remember somewhere said that there are only 2 service centres that repair L lenses in the UK, the other somewhere in Scotland(glasgow) IIRC.

Apr 06, 2012 at 01:08 PM
willis
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lens repair UK

I've used H Lehmanns fairly recently to repair my 17-40L and they were good to deal with. Work on L lenses starts at around 160 I believe but thats a sort of fixed price which includes minor parts but obviously not major things like lens elements/focus motors etc.
I've read some very poor web reviews on Euro Hi-Tech which is why I didnt use them although they were cheaper.
Lehmanns or Fixation are your best bet IMO.

Apr 06, 2012 at 01:24 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

petersumpter

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lens repair UK

I have used Axco in Finchley for dozens of years and found them always to do a good job.

Apr 06, 2012 at 01:35 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Lens repair UK

willis wrote:
I've used H Lehmanns fairly recently to repair my 17-40L and they were good to deal with. Work on L lenses starts at around 160 I believe but thats a sort of fixed price which includes minor parts but obviously not major things like lens elements/focus motors etc.
I've read some very poor web reviews on Euro Hi-Tech which is why I didnt use them although they were cheaper.
Lehmanns or Fixation are your best bet IMO.

thanks. good to find out about hi-tech . I think i will strike them off my list .

Maybe I'll give both Fixation and Lehmanns a call on Tuesday and see what they say.

Apr 06, 2012 at 01:52 PM
nrferguson
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Lens repair UK

Ian I tripped over and fell on cobblestones with my 24-70 a couple of years ago and it got badly smashed (mount and focus ring disrupted). I took it into Longworth Photographic in Firgrove Parade in Farnborough (who I have used for 30+years) and it came back perfect at reasonable cost - if you decide to use them mention my name to Tony (the proprietor)
Niall Ferguson

Apr 06, 2012 at 01:55 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Lens repair UK

nrferguson wrote:
Ian I tripped over and fell on cobblestones with my 24-70 a couple of years ago and it got badly smashed (mount and focus ring disrupted). I took it into Longworth Photographic in Firgrove Parade in Farnborough (who I have used for 30+years) and it came back perfect at reasonable cost - if you decide to use them mention my name to Tony (the proprietor)
Niall Ferguson

Yeah that shop is 1/2 a mile away from me. Didnt really give it a thought. I may pop in and ask.

Apr 06, 2012 at 02:05 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password