Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · 90mm TS-E sharpness?

Eyvind Ness
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · 90mm TS-E sharpness?

"My tilt is set to the factory vertical axis, meaning it tilts left or right. I may send it in to change to horizontal for landscape and some portraits. Any thoughts?"

Yes, my first thought is that you might have overlooked the little metal knob 2mm from the lens mounting plate. Press it and turn the lens, to get the tilt in the direction you want. You only need to do lens surgery if you want to have the tilt and shift axis in parallell.

Jun 09, 2012 at 07:09 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · 90mm TS-E sharpness?

Eyvind -- Yes, thanks for the tip. That will work, but that's one of the big advantages of the new design 17 & 24 TS-E's. I had the old 24, and it was exactly the same as this one. The new 24 II is so much more versatile to use. Since with the older design we have to choose one or the other tilt alignment with the shift, I think I might be better served by horizontally pivoting tilt to go along with my most used up/down shift. I don't use tilt much with wide angle TS, but seems more practical for the 90 when shift is engaged on horizontally composed subjects. Then again, it might be academic as the lens is telephoto and seldom needs to have both features employed at the same time.

Also -- your "mosquitos" is a strong picture, congrats!

Jun 09, 2012 at 09:03 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · 90mm TS-E sharpness?

More recent 90 TS-E shots. I'm really impressed with the sharpness.

Sep 21, 2012 at 06:09 AM
Lasse Eriksson
• • • •
p.2 #4 · 90mm TS-E sharpness?

ragsn_old_iron wrote:
My favourite lens for sharpness, and while different in 'micro-contrast' or whatever people call the look of 24 TS-E II, it is the most equal lens at all apertures that I have used on 1DsIII and 5DII. The main difference with the 90 is the lack of distortion or chromatic aberration out the the edges in high contrast situations, and I haven't ever used another lens like it. I own/have owned all versions of EF TS-E lenses and have settled with the 90 TS-E and 17 TS-E as my main lenses. I sold an earlier copy of my 90 a
...Show more

+1

Sep 21, 2012 at 07:39 AM
mjgphotoz

p.2 #5 · 90mm TS-E sharpness?

Check out below for Keith's info on how to do modification! Works great!

mjgphotoz

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/article_pages/modify_canon_tilt-shift

Sep 21, 2012 at 02:38 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · 90mm TS-E sharpness?

Again, I know I'm in a sub-group Canon gear minority, when I go on and on about an old 90 TS-E lens set-up!

But, I am loving this lens!

Here's more shots with the same set-up I've been using the last few days: 5D2, step-up rings 58-77-82 to 82mm Hoya CPL, step-up ring to Series 9 Tiffen holder with Schneider Warm Black Frost 1/8, Tiffen Series 9 rubber hood. The thing looks unwieldy, but it is relatively light weight. Possibly not everyone's cup of tea, especially the no-filter crowd. Here's some shots of it:

And some more shots with it.

No lens movements, hand held, around f/5.6, ISO 200 and 400.

Sep 21, 2012 at 06:45 PM
Sweetf8

p.2 #7 · 90mm TS-E sharpness?

Of all the Canon TS-E's, the 90mm TS-E sharpness is only second to the new 24mm TS-E II. At least my copy is.

Here is my shot: 90mm TS-E, tilted, shifted, extension tub (length not recorded)

Sep 22, 2012 at 02:52 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · 90mm TS-E sharpness?

Sweetf8 -- love those delicate transitions!

Sep 22, 2012 at 02:31 PM
Sweetf8

p.2 #9 · 90mm TS-E sharpness?

Thanks, Gunzorro. Your copy looked incredibly sharp too.

Sep 22, 2012 at 02:45 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · 90mm TS-E sharpness?

Some test shots today for my eldest daughter, the actress.

5D2, f/2.8, reverse tilt, Schneider Warm Black Frost 1/8, ISO 100. I may avoid the reverse tilt/focus in the final shots, as it is too distracting for an acting head shot. But it is a nice effect -- dramatic on the eyes. This is a great portrait lens -- surprised I don't see more shots with it.

Sep 24, 2012 at 09:20 PM
mmurph
• • • •
p.2 #11 · 90mm TS-E sharpness?

Thanks for sharing!

I just sold my Canon 45 TS-E, which I used more often than my 90 TS-E for architecture, city scapes, and landscapes.

I still have the 90 TS-E, which I kept mostly for portraits. In particular I wanted the reverse tilt effect shown above for fashion shots. Now that I have sold all of my 4x5 cameras (5 or 6 of them), that is the only perspective control option I have left.

I will test it with the 1D X when I get a chance to see how it looks. I am trying to decide beteen keeping it and the 100 mm 2.8 L macro. I'd like to keep both, but I need to push my total equipment investment down from about $30K - $35K where it is now (at current valuation.)

I just am not working enough any more to justify that much kit. Hard to decide what to sell, I keep changing my mind.

I just did some headshots yesterday, but it was pretty rushed and I didn't have time to do comparison shots. Used the 24-70 for the whole shoot.

Nice photos above, thanks for sharing!

Best,
Michael

Sep 24, 2012 at 09:53 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · 90mm TS-E sharpness?

Thanks Michael. I read that you were keeping your new 40/2.8 STM and selling the 45 TS-E. I still have both, and will probably keep both -- they are both so different, even though the new 40 is great. I'll soon be doing a second round of direct comparisons of these two for evaluation.

Ha-ha! You and I seem to be tracking similar on the glass! I have the 100L as well, and have a tough time choosing which to use sometimes. I love the TS and beautiful edge fall-off of the 90. I also love the AF/IS and ultra-crisp detail of the 100L. There isn't much overlap, except focal length -- I know that sounds trite, but there is a difference in the images. To make matters more complex, I have an older Leica R 100/4 Macro (non-bellows) and that lens also wonderful image quality, different that the other two. I'll probably sell the Leica, but keep the two Canon's. There will likely be another need, and I would regret not having them, or worse, having to buy them again at higher prices.

Yes, that reverse tilt is awesome -- really throws the upper background out of focus, as well as upper head and lower torso -- really concentrates attention on the the thin somewhat horizontal band. BTW -- I only adjusted exposure and color balance a bit on these, otherwise its all LR4 defaults on sharpening, noise and CA.

I have been cutting down my stock of lenses, having just sold a few Contax Zeiss and some Nikon AF D and G. A few more will go, as I'm finding I consolidate more and more back toward Canon.

Sep 25, 2012 at 12:29 AM
Sweetf8

p.2 #13 · 90mm TS-E sharpness?

Gunzorro, awsome! Both your images and your daughter are beautiful!

Sep 25, 2012 at 01:12 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · 90mm TS-E sharpness?

Sweetf8 -- Thanks so much!

BTW -- you probably noticed the first shot was without flash, the other two with. I like the without, but don't think it will be practical and we'll need to go with flash. One more session of test shots tentatively scheduled for Thurs. I'll try using the 1Ds2, and the 90 w/o tilt, and switch to the Tiffen Black Pro-Mist 1 to reduce the added reddish quality. I prefer to change only one thing at a time, but . . . it should be predictable overall.

Any opinions about the color balance? Personally, I like it a bit warm, but it could interesting be cooled down, then warmed a touch in PP. As it is, with the Schneider Warm, I cool the temp about 200 degrees and reduce the red tint to about -11.

Sep 25, 2012 at 01:34 AM
mmurph
• • • •
p.2 #15 · 90mm TS-E sharpness?

Gunzorro wrote:
Thanks Michael. I read that you were keeping your new 40/2.8 STM and selling the 45 TS-E. I still have both, and will probably keep both -- they are both so different, even though the new 40 is great. I'll soon be doing a second round of direct comparisons of these two for evaluation

Let us know what you see! I am just starting to set up a test suite so taht I can compare different lenses and different cameras I own over time. I have been taking quick pics off of mu back porch, but the FOV of an 18 mm compared to a 200 mm makes it very hard to compare side by side. More for my own curiosity than anuyhing else.

The 45 mm TS-E was really my 2nd most used lens for fine art, landscape, and street photography. Two things were behind my decision to sell it.

1) With the new STM lenses for video, I also wanted to build a selection of video centric lenses. But I already had at least 16+ lenses, including 7-10 L lenses, depending on the point in time and how you count them.

2) I am partially retired/disabled/unemployed from photography. I can't do more than a few shoots per month. When I added up teh resale value of teh equipment I owned it came to more than $30,000, which is an h* of a lot for someone who is only doing casual photography.

So I made up a list, and I checkeded it twice. And I started to sell lenses taht I only use a few times in teh last 10 years. Then in teh middle of testing, what I was shooting changed, and I had to buy some of the same lenses back that I had just sold (the 70-200 2.8 in particular ...)

I keep going around & around, making list after list ... I start with the 24-70 as teh lens taht I use the most. I had that sold because I was going to buy the II, then the day before I shipped it I got a gig that I needed it for ...

Cheers! More in a second. It sounds like we are very similar on shooting habits and lenses!

Best,
Michael

Sep 26, 2012 at 01:06 AM
mmurph
• • • •
p.2 #16 · 90mm TS-E sharpness?

Gunzorro wrote:
Any opinions about the color balance?

I am usually biased toward almost totally neutral. But for a headshot, I would agree on warm. I think the "warm" look traslates a bit psychologically to "this is a nice person that I would like."

It looks like her hair has a tendency to go red though? I am not sure how red she wants it to look. You might warm up the background, with some wood tones, yellows, and warm greens, then not have to go quite as warm for the hair and skin? I used to keep a Pantone book in teh syudio that had differnt color scheme layouts with suggested attributes ("calming", etc.) That part went a bit far, but it was nice to see a 2,3,4, or 5 color layout using complemenatry colors, etc. as thought starters.

Sounds like you are a great father to take that much time and care to create a good head shot.

I know there are slighty different styles of headshot that are common in different areas. Chicago, NY, La, etc. I didn't have a chance to see where you are. I used to do them for an actress in Chicago.

You might also do some research. I always feel like I am cheating when I do that, but really it is just like any other subject. I was just reading an interview with a talent agent about what ther preferences were for head shots, etc.

Good luck! Share the final product with us!

Best,
Michael

Sep 26, 2012 at 01:14 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.2 #17 · 90mm TS-E sharpness?

Thanks again Micheal!

I can always cool down her hair or shift its color a bit in LR with Dodge/Burn circle. Otherwise, she and I like the kind of purplish-brown to orange-y color scheme of the browns and skin tones. I'll try the neutral filter and see how that does with the flash and available daylight. I'll try the 1Ds2, which I've got set a touch to amber on the WB. And try to rig a hair light. . . it never ends on location shooting!

We'll see something in a couple days.

Sep 26, 2012 at 05:49 AM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password