Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Digital steam

forrest5000
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Digital steam

Hi all,
Hope someone here can help me. I am looking for a way to create digital steam for a number of shots of someone cooking outside a tent. We didn't have time to actually cook anything when the shots were taken and I was hoping to add some in now.

Every time I search the web for digital steam I get pointed to the steam gaming site

below are two images to show the type of thing we shot.

Any help, suggestions, etc. would be appreciated.
John

Apr 05, 2012 at 09:54 AM
Eyeball
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Digital steam

Here are two quick examples.

I used Photoshop and did the following:
- Opened base image.
- Created a new blank layer above the base image.
- On the new layer, I did a Filter>Render>Clouds (making sure black & white were my foreground and background colors).
- Repeated Filter>Render>Clouds, if necessary, until it contained a steam cloud more or less that I liked.
- Used the Magic Wand tool to select a steam cloud out of all the cloud clumps. I selected the more-or-less brightest part of the cloud and I adjusted the Magic Wand Tolerance to adjust how big of a cloud was selected. You can also use Select>Refine Edge to adjust the edges of the could.
- Did Select>Inverse to invert the selection followed by pressing the delete key to delete everything but the steam cloud.
- Used Edit>Free Transform to move the steam cloud roughly where I wanted it and to rotate it.
- Changed the Blend Mode of the steam cloud layer to Screen.
- Created a Curves adjustment layer above the steam layer and then right-clicked the Curves layer to make it activate the Clipping Mask (makes the Curves layer affect on the layer below it instead of all layers below it).
- Adjusted the Curves to bring out the "cloudiness" of the steam cloud.
- Added a mask to the steam cloud layer and used a very soft, black brush to soften the edges of the cloud and to erase any parts that I didn't want.
- Used Edit>Transform>Warp to warp/shape the could if necessary.
- Adjusted opacity of the cloud layer to taste.

It's not as complicated as it looks if you have some familiarity with Photoshop. It took me longer to write up the steps than it took me to do them on both images. As always in Photoshop, there are probably another 20 ways to do steam. I just did a quick Google on "photoshop steam" and turned up several tutorials. I also tried something quick in Lightroom to see if I could do something similar but didn't have much luck. The Adjustment Brush in LR doesn't really have a "Screen Mode" so even using a brush with boosted exposure and shadows doesn't really give the same effect.

One key thing I think is to keep the effect pretty subtle. That helps the realism IMO.

Hope that helps.

Apr 05, 2012 at 10:49 AM
forrest5000
• • •
p.1 #3 · Digital steam

thanks eyeball, I'll have a go in the morning.
John

Apr 05, 2012 at 10:15 PM
mshi
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Digital steam

Or you can google and download certain smoke brush and just paint the effects in quickly.

Apr 06, 2012 at 04:06 AM
rico
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Digital steam

My approach is similar to Eyeball: create white layer above base image with a mask, load mask with something cloudy (I used an image of black diesel-engine exhaust from Wikipedia), adjust mask w/curves, adjust layer transparancy. Keep the effect subtle for realism:

Apr 07, 2012 at 05:30 AM
Kittyk
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Digital steam

rule #1: if you want to make good photo, take the effort for it, not hope you will PP hell out of it to make it awesome.

sure you can add some steam in photoshop, but it will always be visible as altered for pros and many customers as well.

Apr 07, 2012 at 10:36 AM
Eyeball
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Digital steam

Kittyk wrote:
rule #1: if you want to make good photo, take the effort for it, not hope you will PP hell out of it to make it awesome.

sure you can add some steam in photoshop, but it will always be visible as altered for pros and many customers as well.

Oh, I don't know. I think you can make it look pretty real if you want to invest the time. Here is another attempt that tries to improve on the steam and adds some flames to the burner. I also added a camping partner since it's never fun to eat alone.

"Camping partner" courtesy of Jean-Pierre Lavoie at WikiMedia Commons.

Grizzly Denali.jpg

Apr 07, 2012 at 02:38 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

DanBrown
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Digital steam

forrest5000 wrote:
Every time I search the web for digital steam I get pointed to the steam gaming site

Just searching for "photoshop steam" on Google reveals several tutorials and links to smoke/steam brushes, including this interesting YouTube tutorial which uses PS's wave filter to generate some realistic looking steam.

Apr 07, 2012 at 02:59 PM
forrest5000
• • •
p.1 #9 · Digital steam

Thanks guys, the original idea was to actually cook food but time and other constrains meant we could only squeeze in an hour or so. For those of you who are unfamiliar with Ireland getting a blue sky and/or sunshine is a minor miracle, even in summer.
The bear is kool, luckily we don't have bears, snakes or any other dangerous predators here!
John

Apr 08, 2012 at 10:37 AM
MikeW
• • •
p.1 #10 · Digital steam

Eyeball wrote:
Oh, I don't know. I think you can make it look pretty real if you want to invest the time. Here is another attempt that tries to improve on the steam and adds some flames to the burner. I also added a camping partner since it's never fun to eat alone.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12145446/Camp-Steam-1b.jpg

"Camping partner" courtesy of Jean-Pierre Lavoie at WikiMedia Commons.

Grizzly Denali.jpg

haha, i lol'd

Apr 08, 2012 at 10:46 PM
Tom D
• • • •
p.1 #11 · Digital steam

It's not obvious, but since clouds are basically steam, they're a more natural way to create steam in an image. Take a bunch of photos of various clouds at your highest resolution setting, then use them (or selected parts of them) to make brushes. Create a collection of them to stamp anywhere in a photo you need smoke or steam, playing with size, opacity, rotational positioning, etc, to suit your taste. Mask as necessary, using the cloud brush directly on the mask. Any needed bluish toning can easily be added in a number of ways.

Lots of tuts out there on creating brushes. Below are some screen grabs of using one of my cloud images to make a brush, and my attempt to add steam to your shot with it...

Apr 11, 2012 at 05:06 PM
Tom D
• • • •
p.1 #12 · Digital steam

Added steam. Hope this helps...

Apr 11, 2012 at 05:18 PM
forrest5000
• • •
p.1 #13 · Digital steam

Thanks Tom, will have a bit of time to morrow and will be playing with the steam options
John

Apr 11, 2012 at 08:56 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password