Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Salt Creek Beach Sunset

JimFox
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Salt Creek Beach Sunset

Here are a few shots from Salt Creek Beach in Dana Point California. These were from last Monday as I was running my new D800 through it's paces. The clouds I had been chasing were pretty much gone by sunset, but the waves were big, the tide was in, and so it made for some cool action in the surf.

All thoughts and comments are welcome,

Jim

Apr 04, 2012 at 06:19 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · Salt Creek Beach Sunset

Wow!

Those are nice Jim!!
They are posted in order of my preferences also...

Apr 04, 2012 at 06:24 PM
nma
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Salt Creek Beach Sunset

Hello Jim,

Nice camera. I am jealous. These pictures demonstrate many attractive attributes. I am most impressed by the first picture, with the highly saturated sky. Only the image of the sun itself shows any highlight clipping. The reflection of the sun on the water in the foreground is also quite interesting. It almost looks as though the orange color is painted on the water. Is that due to camera, post processing or my monitor?

Apr 04, 2012 at 06:34 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Salt Creek Beach Sunset

nma wrote:
Hello Jim,

Nice camera. I am jealous. These pictures demonstrate many attractive attributes. I am most impressed by the first picture, with the highly saturated sky. Only the image of the sun itself shows any highlight clipping. The reflection of the sun on the water in the foreground is also quite interesting. It almost looks as though the orange color is painted on the water. Is that due to camera, post processing or my monitor?

Thanks! The look of #1 is straight from the camera. I pushed the contrast from the raw shot, but all colors are what the D800 grabbed. Yeah, the area around the sun clipped some, but there were no clouds left to help diffuse it. I tried to correct that while processing, but then the are looked too processed... So in the end, I left it as it was.

Jim

Apr 04, 2012 at 06:37 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · Salt Creek Beach Sunset

ckcarr wrote:
Wow!

Those are nice Jim!!
They are posted in order of my preferences also...

Thanks Craig! I really like the way this session turned out, even though I was pretty much soaked from head to foot by the time it was done...

Jim

Apr 04, 2012 at 06:38 PM
ScaryFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · Salt Creek Beach Sunset

1 is so sweet! Perfect timing to get the light just in the foreground spot.
Ute

Apr 04, 2012 at 06:52 PM
sachman
• • •
p.1 #7 · Salt Creek Beach Sunset

#1 is outstanding with the sun peeking over the horizon and the light hitting the sand in the f/g

Apr 04, 2012 at 06:59 PM
iflymd11

p.1 #8 · Salt Creek Beach Sunset

Jim,
No 1 for me. Nice shot. Love the orange glow in the center of the shot.

Apr 04, 2012 at 07:23 PM
David Leask
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · Salt Creek Beach Sunset

iflymd11 wrote:
Love the orange glow in the center of the shot.

Me too, great stuff Jim
David

Apr 04, 2012 at 07:46 PM
Henga
• •
p.1 #10 · Salt Creek Beach Sunset

Jim,

#1 is sweet! The reflection of the sun on the water and on the rock in the foreground really make this shot. I like your choice of shutter speed as well.

Great colors and nice shutter speed in #3 but I find myself missing something sharp in the foreground.

Arnaud

Apr 04, 2012 at 08:00 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Ray Still
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · Salt Creek Beach Sunset

Jim

Beautiful those colors are just amazing really digging #2 in that you have compelling elements in the BG, midground and foreground all are just gorgeous

Ray Still

Apr 05, 2012 at 12:56 AM
pramitmanna
• •
p.1 #12 · Salt Creek Beach Sunset

Nice shots Jim.
1st one is my favorite.
-Pramit

Apr 05, 2012 at 03:25 AM
Jonathan Huynh
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · Salt Creek Beach Sunset

Nicceeee

Apr 05, 2012 at 03:49 AM
Cloudbow
• • •
p.1 #14 · Salt Creek Beach Sunset

I like all three. In the first one, that spot of sunlight and its reflecting off the rock in the foreground is sweet. In the second, I like the layering of the different textured waves and the streaks formed in the sand by the water. In the third, I like the look of the water. It looks inviting yet turbulent at the same time. The roll of that wave at the bottom is really nice, too.

Bev

Apr 05, 2012 at 05:07 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · Salt Creek Beach Sunset

Henga wrote:
Jim,

#1 is sweet! The reflection of the sun on the water and on the rock in the foreground really make this shot. I like your choice of shutter speed as well.

Great colors and nice shutter speed in #3 but I find myself missing something sharp in the foreground.

Arnaud

Thanks Arnaud,

I really like #1 a lot, when I saw the way the sun was glistening, I am glad I could capture it. Yeah, #3 doesn't have any sharp in the foreground as the water is all moving at that point, I liked the way the water was curving as it fell.

Jim

Apr 05, 2012 at 08:22 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · Salt Creek Beach Sunset

Ray Still wrote:
Jim

Beautiful those colors are just amazing really digging #2 in that you have compelling elements in the BG, midground and foreground all are just gorgeous

Ray Still

Thanks so much Ray. Yeah, all of the lines and layers really seemed to balance really well in #2. It was fun to see.

Jim

Apr 05, 2012 at 08:23 AM
Garrick L
• •
p.1 #17 · Salt Creek Beach Sunset

Nice exposure on all three shots Jim, nice movement in the water, maintaining a pleasing texture without too much blur. When I shoot moving water I like to capture what I refer to as "Horse hair like texture" where too long of a shutter speed seems to create more of a "cotton ball" fuzzy look to the water which I don't care for. Nice work and congrats on that new D800, I waiting patiently for mine that was pre-ordered at 11:00 pm PST on the 6th of Feb.

Apr 05, 2012 at 12:34 PM
treebeard
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · Salt Creek Beach Sunset

#1 is really nice, I too like the reflection of the sun on the water.

Apr 05, 2012 at 01:15 PM
DSC01
• • •
p.1 #19 · Salt Creek Beach Sunset

Jim these are all very nice, good luck with the new camera. Dean

Apr 05, 2012 at 07:26 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password