Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Alloy VS Carbon fiber

Julian Nell
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Alloy VS Carbon fiber

Hi, I am going to be getting a tripod in the next 2-3 months mabye less, and I am looking at a set of legs from Induro and my question is, How big of a difference in quality is there between Alouminum alloy and carbon fiber besides weight I know about that part but is there a difference in durability?

P.S. I can't buy a Gitzo.

Julian

Edited on Apr 04, 2012 at 05:55 PM · View previous versions

Apr 04, 2012 at 03:56 PM
Julian Nell
• • •
p.1 #2 · Alloy VS Carbon fiber

Also does anyone know if the center calumn can come out.

Julian

Apr 04, 2012 at 03:58 PM
veroman
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Alloy VS Carbon fiber

Julian Nell wrote:
Hi, I am going to be getting a tripod in the next 2-3 months mabye less, and I am looking at a set of legs from Induro and my question is, How big of a difference in quality is there between Alouminum alloy and carbon fiber besides weight I know about that part but is there a difference in durability? P.S. I can't buy a Gitzo.
Julian

There is no difference in the quality of construction between the Induro alloy and carbon fiber equivalent. I currently own the carbon fiber Induro and owned the alloy before that. Both are fantastic ... stable, strong and built to last. Yes, the center columns on the Induros come out. Not sure why you'd want to remove it, though. In my case, I swapped the longer alloy column with the shorter carbon fiber column. Both came out and went back in easily.
- Steve

Apr 04, 2012 at 06:38 PM
farski
• •
p.1 #4 · Alloy VS Carbon fiber

To echo veroman, I've owned both Al and CF products from Induro, and they've all been very well made. The center column can be removed and inverted (turned upside down), but I don't think there's any way to use the legs without it. I don't know of any "zero-length" center column for Induros.

Apr 04, 2012 at 06:55 PM
Julian Nell
• • •
p.1 #5 · Alloy VS Carbon fiber

Thanks for the responses, the reason that I want to take the center column out is because I will be doing alot of low macro work with it.

on B&H it says that the minimum height is 6.7" would that mean the the column would be fully extended?

Julian

Apr 04, 2012 at 07:16 PM
farski
• •
p.1 #6 · Alloy VS Carbon fiber

On my AT313, if I spread the legs as wide as they will go, the locking collar is about 7.5" off the ground. I only have the standard center column, so the lowest I can get the QR plate for the ballhead I have is about 14". If I subtract the length of column, I could get it down to about 10", which I suspects is what I'd get with the short column. If I took the head off completely I'd be back down to just over 7.5", but it would obviously be pretty useless. If you flip the center column, you can get down to 0".

For reference:

Apr 04, 2012 at 11:35 PM
Julian Nell
• • •
p.1 #7 · Alloy VS Carbon fiber

Two things, but first thanks for posting the photo.

1) Does anyone know how long the short column is and how low the top of the ball head is from the ground with it as low as it can go?

2) Can someone post a photo of the column flipped, I don't understand what it is.

Julian

Apr 04, 2012 at 11:59 PM
farski
• •
p.1 #8 · Alloy VS Carbon fiber

Apr 05, 2012 at 03:19 AM
Julian Nell
• • •
p.1 #9 · Alloy VS Carbon fiber

So the camera would be side down?

Julian

Apr 05, 2012 at 03:28 AM
farski
• •
p.1 #10 · Alloy VS Carbon fiber

Yeah, unless if you mount it vertically

Apr 05, 2012 at 03:39 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Julian Nell
• • •
p.1 #11 · Alloy VS Carbon fiber

So would I have to flip the image in PP?

Also if anyone can give input on how long the short center column is that would be great.

Julian

Apr 05, 2012 at 04:05 AM
farski
• •
p.1 #12 · Alloy VS Carbon fiber

Some cameras detect their orientation and will flip the image for you, so it just depends what you're shooting with if you need to do it in post. Or you could get an L-bracket and mount the camera with the side plate, and then put the ball head into it's vertical position, which would put your camera back horizontal and right-side-up.

Apr 05, 2012 at 11:34 AM
Oasisbill
• • •
p.1 #13 · Alloy VS Carbon fiber

Tests between aluminium and carbon tripods show that less vibration reaches the camera with carbon. For 95% of shots I think this may not be an issue. I think the test was by markins - I'll have a search...

Apr 05, 2012 at 11:46 AM
douter
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · Alloy VS Carbon fiber

Julian:
If you are looking for a low profile tripod for macro photography, Kirk and RRS make some very nice units.
Douglas

Apr 05, 2012 at 12:43 PM
Julian Nell
• • •
p.1 #15 · Alloy VS Carbon fiber

douter wrote:
Julian:
If you are looking for a low profile tripod for macro photography, Kirk and RRS make some very nice units.
Douglas

I am looking to get a tripod that can do both low and high macro work in one, it will also be a general tripod for low shutter speeds and other stuff.

Julian

Apr 05, 2012 at 02:48 PM
veroman
• • • •
p.1 #16 · Alloy VS Carbon fiber

Julian Nell wrote:
... Does anyone know how long the short column is .... Julian

The shorter column used in the carbon fiber model is 4".
- Steve

Apr 05, 2012 at 03:41 PM
Julian Nell
• • •
p.1 #17 · Alloy VS Carbon fiber

How much does it cost?

Julian

Apr 05, 2012 at 04:04 PM
veroman
• • • •
p.1 #18 · Alloy VS Carbon fiber

Julian Nell wrote:
How much does it cost?
Julian

How much does WHAT cost?

Apr 05, 2012 at 04:18 PM
Julian Nell
• • •
p.1 #19 · Alloy VS Carbon fiber

I found the column and it's $30!

Julian

Apr 05, 2012 at 04:18 PM
Julian Nell
• • •
p.1 #20 · Alloy VS Carbon fiber

veroman wrote:
How much does WHAT cost?

I think we posted at the same time but I was talking about the short column, and is there any way to get the tripod with the short column instead of the regular one?

Julian

Apr 05, 2012 at 04:19 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password