Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · ETTL Problem wiith 580EX II

omarlyn
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · ETTL Problem wiith 580EX II

I just encountered an issue with one of my 580EX II Speedlites. I'm quite sure it will need professional servicing but I wanted to see if anyone has encountered this specific issue...when switching to ETTL mode on the flash, it will only show the letter 'E' instead of the whole 'ETTL' and will not fire at all. Manual mode is working normally and the ETTL problem is not camera specific, it occurs on all my camera bodies. Again, I'm sure it needs profesional servicing but I'd never heard of a flash simply showing 'E' in ETTL mode and was curious if anyone else has seen this before.

Omar

Apr 04, 2012 at 03:08 PM
Wobble
• • •
p.1 #2 · ETTL Problem wiith 580EX II

In an effort to help, try checking your settings. Per page 30 of the manual the E stands for Auto External Flash Metering (You probably already know this)

The flash reflected off the subject is metered by an external metering
sensor in real time.
When the standard flash exposure is attained, the
flash output is cutoff automatically.

E: Auto External Metering

• With auto external metering, the camera's ISO speed and aperture will
be set automatically in real-time by the Speedlite.

580EX II Manual

Hope this helps

Apr 04, 2012 at 05:26 PM
omarlyn
• • • •
p.1 #3 · ETTL Problem wiith 580EX II

Wobble wrote:
In an effort to help, try checking your settings. Per page 30 of the manual the E stands for Auto External Flash Metering (You probably already know this)

The flash reflected off the subject is metered by an external metering
sensor in real time.
When the standard flash exposure is attained, the
flash output is cutoff automatically.

E: Auto External Metering

• With auto external metering, the camera's ISO speed and aperture will
be set automatically in real-time by the Speedlite.

Hope this helps

Actually, I had totally forgotten about that function...I will have to check it out later. Still, I fear that something is amiss since 'Auto External Metering' needs to be activated via a custom function and I did not have the flash set-up that way. This problem occured right after I knocked the flash off the hot shoe and it took a tumble on some turf. I'll try resetting the custom functions and see if that 'fixes' it but I would think that any impact hard enough to change a custom function may have caused permanent damage. I'll check it and report back.

Omar

Apr 04, 2012 at 07:21 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Wobble
• • •
p.1 #4 · ETTL Problem wiith 580EX II

Now I understand about the professional servicing, ala turf war. I just finished reading an article about taking it apart and tightening up some screws. Maybe you have a loose screw, ooooops, that is not going to come out right(no slam intended, just dry humor)

Apr 04, 2012 at 07:33 PM
Wobble
• • •
p.1 #5 · ETTL Problem wiith 580EX II

Here is the article:

Loose Contacts

Apr 04, 2012 at 07:54 PM
omarlyn
• • • •
p.1 #6 · ETTL Problem wiith 580EX II

^^^Well, I gotta tell you, the resetting of the custom functions seems to have worked! The flash is working perfectly now!

I still can't get over the fact that a custom function could have been altered by dropping the flash off the hot shoe…I would never have guessed that was even possible. I wonder if that's ever happened to anyone else here.

BTW, nice little repair article about 'loose contacts'…thanks! I still have to check that to make sure nothing else is wrong.

Omar

Apr 05, 2012 at 11:41 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password